Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400

Go down 
+9
JeffR
GHM-PM
exavid
"Hi Yo"
model28a
john grinsel
RickV
DanB
mouka
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 5:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I have purchased 3 scooters within 2 weeks time span:
First I bought a 1995 Honda Helix in decent shape and only 5500 original miles. That's what got me thinking about buying an even bigger scooter. I have to say that I am following the reverse process for almost everybody: I have ridden what one would call "Real Bikes" for over 20 years. But I found a cheap Honda Helix on my local CraigsList and decided to buy it to run errands with it. I found myself having so much fun with it that I decided to buy an even bigger scooter. So I went shopping on CraigsList and found a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 with 789 miles selling for $3100. Needless to say I jumped on the occasion. A week later, I found a 2008 Silverwing with 9300 miles on it selling for $3000 even. I bought that one too.
So now I have 3 scooters and a 2004 Honda Aero 750 in my garage.
I am hesitating between selling the Burgman or the Silverwing.
I know I am preaching to the choir here, but what would you do if you were in my shoes? Which scooter would you sell and which one would you keep and more importantly why?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Meldrew wrote:
What's odd about a British fossil riding a bike, there's a quite a few of us on here, we ride all year round and posses proper waterproof riding gear not glorified golf wear. Unlike yourself I'm a fossil  that's got the confidence and experience to ride a maxi scooter a lot further than round town doing errands, I've got a push bike to do that on. I also realise the importance of regularly checking tyre pressures. Just imagine how embarrassed I'd be if I'd just joined this forum and immediately started posting about vibration problems and rubbishing my newly purchased Silver Wing, only to find out later it was down to operator error as I'd been too lazy to check the tyre pressures.

Trust me old fart, I can teach you a LOT about riding bikes. As for the tires being the culprit, you should KNOW that they have NOTHING to do with vibrations. I was just trying to close this debate.
One last detail: try to use spell checking, it does help if your neurons are aging and they don't help you a lot.
We say "realize", not "realise".
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Perhaps you don't know that many words are spelled differently in the UK than the US. Usage of S and Z vary in several words across the pond. Being an old American curmudgeon I must stand up for Meldrew who is of the same club though of the UK division.
BTW - Tires often do cause vibration and wobble. It's not at all uncommon on a Goldwing to develop the 35mph deceleration wobble due to worn and cupped front tires.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 1:18 am

mouka wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
What's odd about a British fossil riding a bike, there's a quite a few of us on here, we ride all year round and posses proper waterproof riding gear not glorified golf wear. Unlike yourself I'm a fossil  that's got the confidence and experience to ride a maxi scooter a lot further than round town doing errands, I've got a push bike to do that on. I also realise the importance of regularly checking tyre pressures. Just imagine how embarrassed I'd be if I'd just joined this forum and immediately started posting about vibration problems and rubbishing my newly purchased Silver Wing, only to find out later it was down to operator error as I'd been too lazy to check the tyre pressures.

Trust me old fart, I can teach you a LOT about riding bikes. As for the tires being the culprit, you should KNOW that they have NOTHING to do with vibrations. I was just trying to close this debate.
One last detail: try to use spell checking, it does help if your neurons are aging and they don't help you a lot.
We say "realize", not "realise".

So I've gone from being an old fossil to and old fart now, the truth is you have no idea of my age as you're just looking at my avatar. I'm sure you can teach me a lot about bikes, I lost interest in them when I got into maxi scooters and haven't ridden one for the last 19 years apart from a couple I've borrowed overnight from dealers. I did have a MZ ETZ 250 sitting unused in my garage for 15 years until I eventually sold it. ( I still used to pump the tyres up occasionally as old habits die hard).

You do know that we old farts over the Atlantic speak the real English not American English, and that's why I've typed tyre not tire. We use a u in a lot of words you don't, like harbour and labour. As the good gentleman from Oregon has already pointed out use we use a s in words where you'd use a z. I don't suppose you know there's also Austalian English, and Indian English. There's probably Canadian English as well, as spoken by all those big lads who are your star ice hockey players.

We'll also refer to windshields as windscreens, faceshields as visors, our chips are your French fries, your chips are our crisps, instead of garter belt we say suspenders, your suspenders are our braces, diapers are nappies, gas is petrol, and over here a semi is what old farts like me usually wake up sporting in the morning, not the nasty big trucks that obviously scare you from riding a maxi scooter on Interstates.

Another thing I'll mention is using upper case letters to spell words in your posts like LOT, KNOW, and NOTHING. This is classed as shouting on forums and considered impolite on both sides of the Atlantic.

Now I really have to go and do something about this semi!  Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 9:37 am

Hey guys,

Let's stop the name calling.  Mouka, you sold your Burgman and decided to keep your SWing so really there is nothing else to say on this thread.  I will keep this thread open but the name calling needs to stop before it goes further.  A few of you just happen to think differently.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 12:09 pm

I love watching British car repair shows for the differences. Windshields are windscreens! They're not screens! The air would come right through a screen! They're not trunks, they're "boots." Boots go on your feet! Fenders are "wings." Wings go on airplanes! Or is that aeroplanes? Transmissions are Gearboxes. I like that one better. It is a box full of gears, after all.

I also watch for the cars. The British have always built the best cars. Well, best looking anyway. I love seeing the Aston Martins and the Jaguars, the Lotuses and the MGs. The Minis and the TVRs. Bentleys, Morgans, McLarens. Even Rollers and Rovers. Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 12:59 pm

No one here calls a fender a wing, they're bumpers and the name's a throwback to the heavy chromed bumper bars that used to be fitted to cars 30 years ago. The left and right hand side car mirrors are called wing mirrors, and a boot is the luggage area of a saloon car not a sedan. We don't have stick shifts, we have manual gearboxes.

We also have taps not faucets, and why on earth do you have a 110v electrical system while the rest of the civilised world has 240v? Smile scratch
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Meldrew wrote:
We also have taps not faucets, and why on earth do you have a 110v electrical system while the rest of the civilised world has 240v? Smile scratch

Meldrew, give us a break! At least we are trying to speak proper english and measure in metric.
Back to top Go down
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Austalian English

So Australia lost an "r" in British English?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Meldrew wrote:
<>why on earth do you have a 110v electrical system while the rest of the civilised world has 240v?

Umm, ah... Maybe it's because we have so many people here in the US, and because we are so very conscientious, we've taken it upon ourselves to use half as much voltage as everyone else. Rolling Eyes

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 5:42 pm

With everything becoming USB powered lately, we will soon be living in a 5volt world!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 6:05 pm

I was in Las Vegas the week before last and there's certainly a lot of 110v electricity being used there. But in the interests of Anglo-American relations I did try biscuits and gravy a couple of times at breakfast. The soft warm biscuit is what we'd call a scone, pronounced "sconn" if you live Oop North like myself, or "scoane" if you're a Southerner and they're incorrect! Smile Biscuits to us are what you call cookies.

Now proper gravy is brown and always will be, and it's not our fault your ancestors accidentally threw the only supplies of gravy browning into the harbo(u)r with the crates of tea at the Boston Tea Party, and having no colo(u)ring to get a nice savo(u)ry brown colo(u)r to the roux, your anaemic white gravy evolved as further exports were banned. I've gone a bit bi-lingual with the letter u here to get this important historical fact across.

Anyway I had biscuits and gravy two ways, once with a load of turkey chunks and andouillette sausage, and the other time with plain sausage gravy, some of that rather too crispy bacon you prefer and a dash of maple syrup. The plainer version was really nice and I'd happily eat it again. I also tried something in breadcrumbs called a Country Fried Steak, and the jury's still out on that one.

As we were in Sin City, Mrs M gambled $5 in the Ballagio and won it all back plus another $3.80 and quit while she was ahead and cashed up. She then blew all her winnings on a big bag of M&M's at that place further down The Strip!    Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400   Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 9:08 pm

One thing we have to stay away from is how to make country (as we call it here) gravy. My preference is sausage gravy which is thickened white gravy with bits of pork sausage in it. Turkey and other stuff wouldn't be on my list at all. Sausage bits with sprinkles of course ground black pepper.

One UK dish I like is Bangers and Mash. Another is a pudding that I hesitate to name in this country that being 'Spotted Dick'. Over here it could be confused with a disease.
Back to top Go down

Silverwing 600 vs Burgman 400
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2