Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Topbox Which One To Get??

Go down 
+28
Chinasaur
Daboo
Chet Wood
Somerled
Ferrell
jodders1
mooredportside
Meldrew
kbcmdba
Tripod
CathyN
ehaughn
alejom
model28a
honda_silver
billc.
RobynDSt
JeffR
chieninhouston
jdeereanton
wingnprayer
DickO
dspevack
forgitaboutut
MikeO
masscoot
Cornishman
DennisB
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

A lot of my fellow Silverwing owners have Top Cases or Top Boxes installed. I need your honest opinions as to:

What Top Case did you purchase?

1. Over all quality of the materials and workmanship used to manufacture.

2. Top half fit and water seal quality.

3. Top hinge material and strength.

4. Key, what is it made of? Plastic or metal?

5. Did you need to purchase the back rest separately?

6. The quality and size of back rest for the passenger.

7. Finish: Painted or other? If painted quality of paint.

8. Lights installed and do they work well or are they a flop.

9. Electrical connector for lights. Did it come with the Case installation kit?

Please post a thread to where others can purchase.

Thank You for your time,

DennisB sunny
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Chet Wood
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 am

Did you put a rubber insulater between your home built bracket & wing?
Did you bolt bracket ditectly to wing?

masscoot wrote:
Great question Mike. The backrest mounts directly to the wing surface. Here's how I modified the top box mount. I drilled the wing for the mounting plate. I bent some aluminum "C" channels (sort of look like brackets [ ] ) giving me about a 1.5 inch lift off of the wing surface. I then bolted the top box mounting plate to that lift, raising the assembly about 2.5 inches up. This gave me the necessary height I needed for the top box lid to clear the TB19 back rest.

Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 Topboxmod1 Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 Trunk_brkt2_640_253
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 pm

For those of you in the USA, Kiwi Dave is the person I'd go to for anything made by Givi. Here's a link to his website. http://sites.google.com/site/suzukiburgmansidecaseracks/home

He's well known on BurgmanUSA and promises the best price delivered to your door. I highly recommend him for both his prices and his customer service. I've never heard anything bad said about him.

FWIW, instead of buying the high priced Givi brake light, you can make a very good reflector out of the red lens on the top box. Pull it off and put white or red reflective tape under it. The same idea applies to other brands where they have only a red lens. They look like a reflector, but they are not.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Meldrew wrote:
If you want a top case, my view is buy the biggest and best available. The biggest and best is the Givi E55 Maxia 3, and Kappa also have their own version of it. The 'stealth' version of the E55 with smoked grey reflectors really suits the black Silver Wing.

I 2nd Mel's comments. I have the E52 on my '03 and it takes a 15" laptop case with no problems. FTW! Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 Moto

Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 Cases-E52-MAXIA
Back to top Go down
sblunden
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Back to the original question by Dennis...I'm a new SWing rider, as you probably saw from my intro (probably have logged over 20,000 miles on H-D & Buell but DWNTWN Miami is better suited to my current and only bike, the 2011 wing that's pushing 100 miles). I want a minimal topcase and the Givi E370 Tech looks like what I want, don't need lights on it and want an all black, moderate/low capacity box for trips to Publix mostly. Our outside touring is done in my wife's Mini convertible, I have to admit!

Problem....the Givi web site doesn't mention any Wing newer than 2009. I'll be heading down to the dealer tomorrow since they are listed as a Givi dealer on the web. Has anyone put an E370 Tech topbox (or any other currently sold Givi box, I guess) on a Silverwing 2010 vintage or newer and did it fit? Thanks! Steve
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 6:02 pm

sblunden, the Silverwing rack has been the same since it came to the USA in 2002. I doubt there would be any issue with getting it to fit. However, I have no personal experience with the 2010 Silverwing. Mine is an '03 with a GIVI Monokey 46 litre trunk.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 6:10 pm

If it's the 'standard' Silverwing I don't think the year makes much difference as far as later models go - I bought mine new in 2009 but I wouldn't mind betting it had been in a crate somewhere for a year or so so is probably actually a 2008-build.
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:26 pm

sblunden wrote:
I want a minimal topcase and the Givi E370 Tech looks like what I want, don't need lights on it and want an all black, moderate/low capacity box for trips to Publix mostly. Our outside touring is done in my wife's Mini convertible, I have to admit!

Problem....the Givi web site doesn't mention any Wing newer than 2009. I'll be heading down to the dealer tomorrow since they are listed as a Givi dealer on the web. Has anyone put an E370 Tech topbox (or any other currently sold Givi box, I guess) on a Silverwing 2010 vintage or newer and did it fit? Thanks! Steve

Steve,

Have you considered a Coocase like this one? Might save you a few dollars.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooter-moped-Coocase-Scooter-Trunk-Top-Case-universal-/170620142571?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item27b9c0c3eb
Back to top Go down
sblunden
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 2:19 pm

We just stopped by the parts place at our dealer (Gables Honda) and they are calling Givi for a price on a custom painted E370 to match the Swing. Probably will know the bottom line on Tuesday because of the MLK Holiday weekend. With any luck we will finally have a picture to post soon!

Thanks, Steve.
Back to top Go down
sblunden
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Cornishman wrote:
I have standard Givi 35 litre box on mine Black ABS plastict metal key shank set in a plastic fob. Detaches from the Givi carrier rack with the push of a button. There is also the option to fit a brake light but to be honest it's not wort it.

Mine is an E350 Flow now obsolete by the looks of things. Takes a full face or flip front helmet and a pair of gloves. So buy a 45 litre is my advice.

http://www.givi.co.uk/cases/

Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 Givi350

Cornishman...or anyone else...the E-370 arrived today with a Givi gloss back factory paint job that matches the 2011 SWing perfectly. It looks like the mounting assembly (an SR-19)might match the bolt pattern holes on the underside of the rear scooter bracket by Honda. I am thinking I just pull the bracket off the bike and do a test fit, and assuming things look OK I drill through from the underside of the existing screw holes. Has anyone installed a SR-19? I know I saw posts on the forum about it but I cannot find anything in search. I would appreciate any shortcuts since I have to do this by hand and I left my machine shop behind in CT when we moved to downtown Miami. I do miss my electronic control, laser aimed drill press at times Crying or Very sad

Thanks, Steve.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sblunden
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Topbox Which One To Get??   Topbox Which One To Get?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Charging up the 18V Makita and getting ready for the Publix shopping run tomorrow....seriously, thanks. That's the hands on info that I needed. Cheers, Steve.
Back to top Go down

Topbox Which One To Get??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2