Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:45 am

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hiding a spare key

Go down 
+12
AldusFran
exavid
NWSSC
DaveR
SteveO
model28a
Jim McLaren
tinman
ozzman
Meldrew
bandito2
masontx
16 posters
AuthorMessage
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 am

As a new rider, I have had several people suggest to me to hide a spare key on my scoot, just in case. Was wondering if the forum members has advice about this, such as security, location, etc. Thanks for your wisdom.

Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 9:40 am

You might try wrapping it in a little bit of aluminum foil and stick it up inside on the side body cover above the CVT with some silicon caulk. There are some spaces up in the front cowl as well. It might not be the easiest thing to extract without some effort when you need it. But it will be well hidden and protected from the elements.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 am

Have you not considered asking for the best location to hide a spare key on a forum anyone can read is anything but security advice?
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:35 am

Meldrew wrote:
Have you not considered asking for the best location to hide a spare key on a forum anyone can read is anything but security advice?

What is the likelihood that there are scoundrels searching the scooter forums looking for references for ways to compromise security of an older design scooter like the Silverwing?

A determined and dedicated thief may already know where to look and feel for ANYTHING hidden and find it anyway or have other means of relieving one of their Silverwing.

I would think that taking time to search a bike for something that is probably not even be there would not be one of the priorities of a thief. They would want to get the bike out of the area first.... then they could fiddle around looking things over.... At that point it would make little difference whether they found the hidden key or not because they have your bike and you don't and you don't know where it is.

The best idea is to have ways to impede the movement of the bike in the first place to discourage thieves. That is primarily the thieves concern. If they can't move the bike without too much difficulty, then what's the point? they may just move on to easier less risky targets. I think the risk for the thief to bike value ratio is not good enough to make it worth their while. If they can't move it easily enough, then they will not likely hang around looking for any possible hidden keys.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 pm

bandito2 wrote:
What is the likelihood that there are scoundrels searching the scooter forums looking for references for ways to compromise security of an older design scooter like the Silverwing?

I've no idea, but as there's scoundrels who've learned how to make all manner of explosive devices off the internet and then used them, all you have to do is look. Have you watched any of the YouTube videos about hiding spare keys on motorcycles and scooters? Have you seen the ones about opening previously thought secure Kryptonite shackle locks in seconds using the plastic tube off a ball-point pen? I also had a letter from my insurer warning me about that trick.

Don't kid yourself that heavy bikes and scooters can't be moved, here in the UK there's quite a lot of expensive bikes stolen to order. Do you think Joe Public would notice anything suspicious about two burly men in overalls manhandling a heavy bike or scooter up into a plain white van, is it being stolen or has it simply broken down and is being recovered by a couple of mechanics?

As for the Silver Wing being an older design, it doesn't really matter if it's inside a sea container of stolen bikes destined for Eastern Europe. Or if it's stripped and broken up for parts which may be offered for sale on eBay, or at auto jumbles.

Here at least our FJS Silver Wings are fitted with the Honda HISS, the Honda Ignition Security System, which disables the engines starting circuit unless a properly coded key is used. So hide one of these keys where the owner can conveniently can get to it easily, make it a good easy recommended tip and tell anyone reading this topic. Sooner or later it'll be like ’hiding' the door key under the mat, or the computer passwords that gets written under the keyboard.

It's a lot safer and easier to carry your spare key on your person using a lanyard, carabiner, keyring, chain, cord, day sack, man bag, pocket etc, than your suggestion of wrapping it in a bit of foil and sticking it somewhere where it's likely to fall off over time.

You do know that you can already buy little weatherproof magnetic boxes to hide a spare car key.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ozzman

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 pm

I was at wallyworld the other day and dropped my key by accident.
The stress level had my ticker working over time when I couldn't find them
in my pocket. So I rushed back and this beautiful woman was just hooked on my
eyes and asks me, did you lose a set of keys? Why as a matter of fact I did.
So she hands me a big old key chain with a dozen and more keys and I said
those weren't mine. lol

I finally get to customer service and the gal behind the counter
asked what they looked like. She went over to the drawer and said some lady just dropped them off but couldn't find where she stuck em.

Long story short I got my Swing key back and off I went.
Now with that swell idea I just hid my spare key.

Hiding a spare key Bike
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 12:56 pm

2 years ago my wife and I went to get new eye glass 80 kl away,on arrival I  put my jacket in my top box along with my keys,a lock smith was needed. Now I put a spare scooter,and givi key in a plastic insurance folder ,I removed the floor mate and place it under it with some duct tape,and reinstalled the floor mate . Now all I need to remember is where I placed it,I have a good memory but it's short.LOL
Back to top Go down

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 12:06 am

I dropped my swing off to have the tire replaced once but I forgot to leave the key. It was no big deal though because they found the key that the previous owner had hidden in the right hand glove box.
Back to top Go down
Jim McLaren
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-29

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 12:26 am

I think I agree with Meldrew on this one but I hide a key on my bike anyway. I almost locked it under the seat and realised I was likely to do it again. I used to carry one in my wallet but decided it added too much bulk. So now I put it inside the rear panel held in place by velcro. It takes a phillips screwdriver to get into but I'm not too worried about not being able to find one. I always have a cheap one somewhere on the bike, usually in the glove box.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 12:33 am

I keep a key for the Silverwing hidden and I keep a key for the top box under the seat. That way if I accidently lock my keys under the seat or in the top box I can get to them with the hidden Silverwing key.   Wink
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 2:14 pm

I have always kept a spare key on my cycles. But like Tinman where did I put it? My last cycle (Kawasaki Nomad) I put it inside the tail light lens, yes I needed a phillips driver to get it. When I sold the cycle I told the new owner I kept a key on the cycle but could not remember where I put it. About six months later I remembered and called the new owner to tell him where it was. He had not found it. Now as for the Swing, I have a back rest for me and still use the butt rest. With the butt rest screws removed the butt rest can be pulled out (very tight not an easy pull) a few inches and the spare key rides in the mounting channel, out of sight (and sometimes out of mind).

SteveO

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 5:41 pm

On one of my scooters I found a spare key behind the license plate. Held on with one of those small round reflectors with a wingnut on the back so no tools needed to get the key. There's a lot of places to hide a key on a scooter. I could name quite a few but as others have pointed out it's probably best not to post them here.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 9:23 pm

What does one do when you loose the key completely? I have a friend that has lost her key and does not have a spare. Not good!
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Hiding a spare key    Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 11:56 pm

On our way to Kentucky a few weeks ago we stooped over night in Marietta Ohio. As usual we went for a walk after eating. On returning we saw a police car parked by our scooters. My wing man had left his keys in the ignition and some good Samaritan called the police. He waited there for us to return and identify our selves before leaving. On most every trip something along the way returns our faith in humanity. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:29 am

I agree with my fellow curmudgeon, the sensible way to ask this question would be to send a PM to a forum member, preferably one far from your location. My suggestion to you can be said on an open forum, "put a spare key in your wallet".
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 12:05 pm

On my first Swing I had a spare key under the gas filler door. One day at six AM went outside to dump garbage and I see this guy driving by on a scooter like mine so I waved at him. Soon as I woke up I realized that my scoot was gone. After notifying the police and waiting for his arrival I see the crook bringing my scoot back. I gave chase but he had an accomplice waiting nearby with car a so they took off. I checked out my scoot and found a small scrape on the left rear fender;no biggie. Good thing crook found my spare key cause right were my scoot was parked I found a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. I found a better place to hide a spare.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 pm

AldusFran wrote:
On my first Swing I had a spare key under the gas filler door. One day at six  AM went outside to dump garbage and I see this guy driving by on a scooter like mine so I waved at him. Soon as I woke up I realized that my scoot was gone. After notifying the police and waiting for his arrival I see the crook bringing my scoot back. I gave chase but he had an accomplice waiting nearby with car a so they took off. I checked out my scoot and found a small scrape on the left rear fender;no biggie. Good thing crook found my spare key cause right were my scoot was parked I found a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. I found a better place to hide a spare.

That's about the equivalent of a cager "hiding" a key up on the visor, in the ash tray or in the glove box or a
home owner putting a key under the welcome mat .... just not a good idea. A little more imagination needs to
be used to put it some place not obvious yet well hidden and still accessible. Don't make it near impossible, but
don't make it too easy either. (even for you when you know where it is) Down low and out of direct line of sight
where even by feel it would not be obvious and attached well enough that it is highly unlikely to become
unattached. (some people actually might lock their wallet in the bike... I don't...) I carry spare keys on a lanyard
hooked around my belt then stuffed in my pocket so there is no way to lose those keys unless I lose my pants.
affraid
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 pm

The rubber floor mat easily unsnaps by hand (where your feet go). I hide a single key there. Holy crappeth the crime rate just went up. I'll be double locking my garage tonight. Maybe sit up for an all night vigil. Maybe it will get stolen and I'll get a nice fat cheque from my insurance so I can move on to something else!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 8:00 pm

When I bought a new '78 VW van I put a key in a magnetic holder and stuck it inside the left rear bumper. A couple of years ago I got the great idea of getting a spare key holder and hide a new spare key because I couldn't find my original spare. So I put the new key in the magnetic box inside the right side of the rear bumper. A year or so later my wife had a spare key made and told me that she put it in the right side of the rear bumper. I told here it wasn't needed because I'd already put one there. She went out to remove hers and found two, the one I'd put in there and the one she'd put in. That made me think a bit so I went out and searched the inside of the bumper and found my original spare on the left side. It makes me feel better about that realizing it's probably not alzheimer's when I can't find something now because I was just as forgetful in 1980.
Back to top Go down
bluboy4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-05-16

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Try this-   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2015 11:32 am

I don't have a spare key stored on the bike, Instead, I keep a copy in my wallet. It's come in handy a few times.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2015 9:41 pm

The right side cubby pocket is removeable --assuming that the phillips head screw that's supposed to be there has never been reinstalled. Anyway you could squeeze in the sides, pop the pocket out and securely tape a spare key to the under side. Or wire the spare ket to something secure beneath the cubby.

Tim
Back to top Go down
terrier
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2015-08-12

Hiding a spare key Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding a spare key   Hiding a spare key I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The right side cubby pocket is removeable --assuming that the phillips head screw that's supposed to be there has never been reinstalled. Anyway you could squeeze in the sides, pop the pocket out and securely tape a spare key to the under side. Or wire the spare ket to something secure beneath the cubby.

Tim

That's exactly what I've done for my spare key.  I have it cable tied to one of the metal frame supports.  I'd need a knife to cut it but it's pretty secure and tucked away up the back so not easily seen.

Den
Back to top Go down

Hiding a spare key
Page 1 of 1