Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake pad wear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
damian30
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-02-18

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi guys,
How many miles should I expect to get out of a set of brake pads?
When it comes to mechanical stuff I'm as green as Kermit so I don't know the type of pad my garage uses I'm afraid!
I believe I got less than 3000 miles out of my last set, but they could have been damaged in an accident I had rather than worn out.
I ran into a London black cab at about 10-15mph with both brakes pulled and the bike then fell on its right hand side. The front wheel was instantly sluggish and rubbing.
Got the bike back after 3mths only to find the rear acting the same. A friend pointed out the lower pad was sticking to the disc and the higher pad had daylight between it and the disc.
Got them changed today and my mechanic said the rear was down to the metal no way that should have been the case!
Could it be from the accident?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Yes in my opinion you have a problem. My swing got around 25k klms on it now and the original brakes are still in tip top shape. Obviously it depends on rider and riding terrain but i think you would easily get more than 3k miles out of a set of brake pads! Maybe you're riding the brakes continuously! Are the brake discs smooth or do they have ridges? Are you getting a shimmy while braking? After your accident the brake caliper (the part that holds the brake pads) could be seized and not allowing the pads to properly release!
Back to top Go down
damian30
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks, I figured something wasn't right! Lol
They seemed happy with the calipers and discs today so don't think that's the issue.
Definitely don't ride the brakes constantly but did notice a strong judder from the back brake just before the collision.
Will get them to go over it all properly when it goes in next
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Brake pad wear and fuel mileage are usually related to driving habits and of course you could have some mechanical problem.I replaced the front pads on my 06 S/W at 45,000 miles and my rear are still OK at 50,000 miles. Yes I do a lot of highway riding.That being said I feel you have some mechanical problems to address. It is important to find a good mechanic you can trust and stay with them. Generally speaking you should not see day lite between the brake pad and the rotor. If the pad is not in complete contact (contacting at a angle) this is a problem. There is the possibly of a stuck piston in the caliper.The brake fluid will move both pistons at the same rate but if one piston is stuck all the fluid will go to the other piston and cause the the pad to wear at a angle. This could be part but not all of your brake problem.
What year is your S/W and mileage. Are you the original owner?
Keep us posted.   Howard    NWSSC
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 11:48 pm

In 54,400+ miles I've replaced the front pads two times and the rear one time. The first time I replaced the front pads I used EBC brake pads and they ate up my disk. I replaced the disk and pads with genuine Honda parts and they have held up great. I only use genuine Honda  pads now. I would have to look through my records to see what the mileage was when I put the pads on but they still look as good as new.
Back to top Go down
damian30
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 4:40 am

It's a 2012 model, just over 14000m on the clock and I have had it from New.
This is the 3rd time I've had them changed now and never had such wear, including on a piaggio x8 400 and another silverwing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

From the vantage of 95,000 miles on my '03 SW I'd say that you've got a stuck or binding piston in the brake caliper. You should either have it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. It is not a difficult DIY job, and the pistons and seals for the caliper are not that expensive. There are several "How To" YouTube videos for refurbishing brake calipers. If you are squeamish about the job then you should have a shop do it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Like most repairs on the S/W when you have done them they are not that difficult,but. But a word of caution.Removing a stuck piston is one thing but air trapped in the system can be time consuming.Try to minimize the loss of brake fluid. Capping off the line to the caliper with a piece of tubing is fairly easy.Do not let the brake reservoir run out of fluid.It is easier for two people to bleed the system. Be patient. Howard NWSSC
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Sponsored content

Brake pad wear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake pad wear   Brake pad wear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake pad wear
Page 1 of 1