Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
One or Two I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

One or Two

Go down 
+2
tinman
hotwings
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 11:10 am

I noticed late in last years riding season that my left front shock was leaking. The right side is fine. I will repair before the riding season begins. Should I replace the seals in both shocks or just the guilty one? There's around 22000klm on my 05 now. The good side shock could go forever without issues, who knows. Do I follow the adage       "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 12:37 pm

There is a small fork seal cleaner ( plastic tool) That motocross rider use to clean dirt from the fork  cylinder.Seams to work well on U tube video.  Cost about $5.00.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:20 pm

I've heard six of one a half a dozen the other. If I was going to do it I'd probably do both and first I think I'd try the tool that tinman mentioned. Also if I replaced the seals in both shocks I would either replace the spacers with thicker ones and /or go five heavier than OEM recommends with the fluid. I've read about people doing one or both and been happy with the results.
Keep us informed what you decide and what difference is when you're done, good luck.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:40 pm

Here is a  link to the tool.  Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner

Video
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Roger I probably won't tackle this project till it warms up, maybe mid March. What do you recommend I use for a thicker spacer? How much thicker should a spacer be? What is the Recommended amount of oil per shock and what is the oem viscosity so I can get thicker? Any answers are appreciated and I will make notes for when I get around to the task (getting my homework done now). I don't want to spend the money on the hyperpro spring kit as some guys say there isn't any obvious difference in the ride, at least not enough to justify the cost! Anyone reading please don't start bantering on the hyperpros. Thanks for any other input.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 am

applause
Paul thank you for that great video.
hotwings I'll do a little searching and post the links if you give me a day or two.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 11:17 am

Where does one buy fork shield (s) for the 05 600? I noted they were right out there for collecting debris and bugs and would like to give them some protection. Al
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 11:58 am

Try Ebay or Amazon,there should be some there .there was one set  ( universal ) that can be rapt and held with velcro to fit to almost any MC or scooters. Most 300 to 600 crotch rocket fork protectors will fit the swing.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 12:23 pm

model28a wrote:
hotwings I'll do a little searching and post the links if you give me a day or two.
Roger that Roger.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks Roger. It's as clear as mud now Smile. All I need now is someone out there to volunteer to do this for me. I will provide all required tools, coffee, food, shelter etc! Hmmmm....Thats got me thinking.....I will be in Florida in 3 weeks....I can drop the forks off at your house Roger....you can repair for me while my wife and I are in the Caribbean...... Laughing . I would bring you back a sea shell Laughing .
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

One or Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two   One or Two I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:07 pm

I've changed several sets of seals on Goldwings when I had my shop and four more sets here in Medford, two of mine and two of friends'. It's not a difficult job. I wouldn't change both unless they're both leaking. There's no way of knowing how long a seal will last, if you change just the leaking one the old one on the other side might out last the new seal. I would recommend using a piece of plastic as shown in several videos and written articles. I use a piece cut from a plastic milk bottle. Sometimes that's all that's needed. It doesn't work all the time but it's worth trying since it costs nothing but a few minutes time.
Back to top Go down

One or Two
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: