Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Introduction I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Introduction

Go down 
+7
SuzySwing
GHM-PM
john grinsel
model28a
gdenn
JeffR
flylow
11 posters
AuthorMessage
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-11-22

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Hello, I am a new Silver Wing owner.  I live in Atlanta, also have a cabin in north Georgia, beautiful riding there.  Previous rides were a BMW R110R, 2005 BMW R1200RT, 2005 Goldwing.  I purchased a 2012 SW this week with 300 miles on it.  I've put 350 on it in the last 3 days. Absolutely love it. 75 mph on the interstate is not a problem.

I would like suggestions on seat replacement and windshield replacement. I've had a Russell Saddle and it was very nice.  Anyone know anything about Kontour seats.  On my Goldwing I upgraded my suspension with the Race Tech kit, did wonders for the handling.  Any good upgrades for the SW?  Thanks so much--"flylow"
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:32 pm

flylow,

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SWing. As for the windshield upgrades I have had the stock screen, Clearview XL, Standard Givi, and the Givi AirFlow and the Airflow was the best in my opinion. Givi sent me the Airflow to do a review of it and it is on the site. If you want a seat upgrade I know that Corbin seats make a good seat and there are others too. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome and info. Research was leaning towards the Airflow.
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:00 pm

How do you like the CTX?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:21 pm

I really like the CTX and find it a very fun bike to ride. It gets about 15 mpg better than my old SWing but the CTX's weather protection and storage doesn't compare to the SWing. I had the SWing for 7 years and 34,000 miles and was just wanting something different to ride and chose the CTX. But the DCT is a cool option but it is a bike that you need to get a few hundred miles on it to really appreciate.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
gdenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-21

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 pm

welcome flylow. I have the airflow windshield on my wing and really like it. Love the riding available in North Ga. Used to go to TWO back in the day. Welcome to the site
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 2:24 am

welcome
I give my vote to the Givi AirFlow also. For a seat I'd go with the Corbin. The Russell Saddle is good also but with the Corbin you keep your old seat. The Russell uses your seat pan so you have to do without a seat until Russell gets your seat done. If you get a Corbin I wouldn't buy the backrest from them. Corbin wants $218 plus shipping and you can get a backrest at the link below for $28 including shipping.  
 Here's a link to the backrest
Here are some links that will help you learn a lot about taking care of and modulating your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good,and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.
Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 6:16 am

Why waste money on seat until you have ridden the SilverWing 5-10,000 miles? There is nothing wrong with standard seat----for me standard seat is fine. I ride a lot and have no butt/backproblems from seat.

The Givi adjustable windshield is the best that can be done for SilverWing. OEM windshield really sucks! Givi provides reasonable protection, looking over.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 7:19 am

Welcome flylow. As to the seat, as John says check it out a while and then make a decision. I am (or was) 6'0" and the stock seat works well for 300 miles at a stretch. Not sure I would want to push 500 per day but the Goldwing does that.

I doubt that the fuel mileage will be that much worse than a CTX. I have a close friend that has one and he gets around 65+. The newer Silver Wings do much better, I run 58-60 on the highway. Having driven both I prefer the SW. much smoother and quiet. Handling on the CTX is by far better.

Enjoy your 2012, I put 342 miles on mine a couple of weeks ago in one day and it did GREAT, but I was definitely ready to get off it!
Back to top Go down
flylow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
flylow

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like the Airflow is the way to go. Good advice on the seat. My BMW had more gas than I had a**, 300+ range. The Russell saddle took care of that. As I aporoach 60, I do like comfort! SW is really going to fit my needs nicely. My new wife didn't want me get another "motorcycle".
Back to top Go down
SuzySwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SuzySwing

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-08-29

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Welcome from Atlanta. I recently got my husband impressed enough about my Silver Wing that he has bought one, maybe you could get your new wife to get one. We both find the stock seat to be OK. Husband will get a new windscreen, I will not. I hope you enjoy your rides.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 10:15 am

flylow:
Welcome to the site. It sounds like you have the windshield and seat dialed in. (good choices) If you are interested in upgrading the suspension to your swing, HyperPro progressive springs for the front forks will transform the front end characteristics. They have much less nose dive on braking and track true through corners. This was one of the best modifications I made to my bike.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Introduction 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 12:13 pm

welcome cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 3:59 pm

With the Corbin seat I can straighten my legs. With the stock seat and buttrest in place, I cannot. This is a big difference for me when riding for 2 hours or longer. I am 5'10. I cannot imagine the stock seat is comfortable for a rider 6' tall.

That's just me, I also wear underwear when riding.
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 9:16 am

I picked up a 2012 leftover SWing and love it. Just sold my V-Strom and will use the SWing for commuting and touring. Welcome.!!! This is a great site. Lots of info... I was amazed by how smooth the SWing is on the highway.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Welcome from Chamblee...er...Lakeside...no.... LaVista Hills, Ga. Our city can't decide on its new name yet.
Besides the windshield replacment, one of the best value items are mirror extenders. It is wonderful to see behind youself. Also, I replaced the OEM mirrors with Reflex mirrors (longer arm so wider rear view), and replaced the interior trunk light with a "switchable" Acura trunk light. Enjoy your new Swing! billc.
Back to top Go down

Introduction
Page 1 of 1