Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Riding 2021
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Bcook01 Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Need Skirt R 50611 MZT 681ZJ Gray
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 2:44 pm

» Ultimate Touring Machine!
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:18 pm

» Brake Fluid Resistant Paint
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 pm

» How is the vaccine doing in your area
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:16 am

» Headlight Adjustment quick question
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby winged warrior Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:11 pm

» Need a loan?
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Yaj Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 pm

» January 2021 Photo
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 pm

» Your Chance To Vote...front caliper pistons
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:56 pm

» Grrrrrrr @#!#@
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby exavid Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

oil drain plug socket from the old days.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

oil drain plug socket from the old days.  Empty
PostSubject: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm

I happened to think of this today and thought I would share. Back in the 70s I had a Honda 305 scrambler and remembered people used to have trouble getting the valve cover caps off without rounding the 24mm aluminum over. Same ones used for our oil drain. If you use a good 6 point 15/16 socket that's about .007 smaller it fits a bit tighter. Also if you take 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil, place it flat on top of the socket and gently tap the socket on the cap, you get a nice tight fit that will not round over the cap. Just my little hint for today. The foil trick also works good for the 24mm socket. Ernie
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 pm

Ernie,

That sounds like a good idea. I know I rounded off a tappit once, after 7 years and I had to bring it in to the Honda shop to remove it. It seems Honda should've made it a bit deeper of a tappit so the socket couldn't slip off so easily. I know that first oil change I did after the 600 miles that it was really tough to get off. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2650
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 am

I use a similar method to get nuts started in awkward spots. It won't work to protect aluminum plugs but keeps nuts in a wrench or socket. Just lay a couple layers of paper towel over you socket or box end wrench and then press the nut into it. The paper will make the nut snug in the tool so that it can be started on the bolt or stud. It's especially handy when starting a nut on a bolt or stud in a deep socket, it will stay in the socket and you can get a bit of pressure on it to start the nut.
Back to top Go down

oil drain plug socket from the old days.
Page 1 of 1