Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil Filter Wrench/Socket

Go down 
+6
bikerboy
jmaslak
tinman
Cosmic_Jumper
bigbird
Ken-King
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ken-King
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-07

Oil Filter Wrench/Socket Empty
PostSubject: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 am

I've purchased (now) two.  One is a wrench I got from the Honda Dealer and the other is the "socket" type I got from NAPA.

The wrench type I got is just a wee bit to big to fully tighten the filter as well the socket type.  I ended up placing a rag over the filter to take up any space between the wrench/socket ant it seems to have worked.

My question is: are there any wrenches/sockets that actually fit the oil filter?

Last edited by Ken-King on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fat Fingered Honda)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

Ken-King wrote:

My question is: are there any wrenches/sockets that actually fit the oil filter?

If you're using an OEM Honda oil filter, this is the tool I recommend:

http://wingstuff.com/products/2065-oil-filter-wrench?context=service_parts_tools
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 pm

bigbird wrote:
If you're using an OEM Honda oil filter, this is the tool I recommend:

http://wingstuff.com/products/2065-oil-filter-wrench?context=service_parts_tools

Big bird is right, that's a great filter tool. Unfortunately the small end is made for a 17MM drain plug, not the 24MM 'nut' on the drain tappet on our Silverwings.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

I have been using a Rigid adjustable pipe strap .With the xtra long wix filter ,it give the room to slip the strap around the filter and works on all different size filter.One tool for all ,All for one. Smile
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 pm

I recommend the K&N filter with the hex nut on the end.
Back to top Go down
Ken-King
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:47 pm

That MAY be the issue. I got the filter from NAPA and the wrench I got is the one (above) recommended. I'll be sure next time to purchase the filter from Honda. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Ken-King wrote:
That MAY be the issue.  I got the filter from NAPA and the wrench I got is the one (above) recommended.  I'll be sure next time to purchase the filter from Honda.  Thanks guys.

That IS the issue. That wrench I linked to is only for the OEM Honda filter. If you are going with an automotive substitute filter, then those cap type filter tools work fine.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Oil filter wrench/socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Over here in the UK the dealer seemed to 'give' me a socket every time I bought an OEM filter.  It wasn't much cheaper without and now all my pals have one !
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

bikerboy wrote:
Over here in the UK the dealer seemed to 'give' me a socket every time I bought an OEM filter.  It wasn't much cheaper without and now all my pals have one !

You can buy an OEM oil filter two ways; the filter alone or an oil filter "kit", which includes the socket tool.
Back to top Go down
petesuz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
petesuz

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2022-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 2:46 pm

OK - well maybe this is primitive - but if it won't come off with my hand I simply poke (bash) a screwdriver through it and twist it off. As putting a new one on has really always been hand tight (but a strong hand tight) on all my other bikes and cars. Torque spec never really entered into it, and never had one fall off. So why buy a wrench? I suppose it's less messy. But I wear vinyl gloves anyway. Call me neanderthal. If I find one in my tool boxes I'd use it I guess, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find one.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 4:36 pm

I use one of these;

Oil Filter Wrench/Socket Oil_fi10

I really only use it to get the old filter off. IMO it works a treat thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 4:49 pm

Third post today, I really should get out more. But come to think of it I've been out on my push bike today, wearing shorts too. Smile

I bought one of those a long time ago, in my experience it doesn't work as well my strap wrench for removing old filters. But it may well be more useful removing the oil filter on my Forza, as it's a lot easier to get at than the one on the Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 7:22 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
I use one of these;

Oil Filter Wrench/Socket Oil_fi10

I really only use it to get the old filter off. IMO it works a treat thumbs up

I have this type also and have no problems. Very cheap and works! This is similar to mine and price is good:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Oil-Filter-A-Cap-Wrench-74-76-mm-Model-4215/55524392

Just make sure to get the correct size for our filters. One nice thing is that the correct one works for both the Wing and the Forza!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Filter Wrench/Socket   Oil Filter Wrench/Socket I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil Filter Wrench/Socket
Page 1 of 1