Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stock seat and sciatica.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Stock seat and sciatica. Empty
PostSubject: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I,ve been riding my Wing for 2 months now and I'm finding that my sciatica pain is coming back. I really don't want to get rid of the bike but might have to if this keeps up. Any others out there who have had the same problem that have found a reasonable solution? Tried an Airhawk but didn,t help.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:36 pm

Yes....I went through the same thing. I could only sit on the stock seat for only 50-60 miles and that was it. I went with a Corbin Saddle. It's harder and flater then the stock seat and does not cut me like the stock seat did. Also the airhawk helps alot on the corbin for long rides.

DennisB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:48 pm

I have a stock seat and I had a lot of problems riding more than 30 minutes. I tried several different seat cushion options. I now have the Air Hawk. At first I didn't like it. I had to much air in it which seems to be a common mistake. I then took to much air out. I finally got it just right. It took some time and at first I thought I had made a mistake. Now I wouldn't be without it. I can now ride until it is time to fill er up.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 pm

fournbt wrote:
I now have the Air Hawk. At first I didn't like it. I had to much air in it which seems to be a common mistake. I then took to much air out. I finally got it just right. It took some time and at first I thought I had made a mistake. Now I wouldn't be without it. I can now ride until it is time to fill er up.

A lot of people make the same mistake.

The high of air bladder is not what gives the relieve ... the air bladder works best if there is less air allowing air movement across the bladders.

Another option might be to remove the butt-rest or the metal bracket in the butt-rest. The butt-rest has a very uncomfortable metal bracket without much padding between.

Raising the butt-rest or installing a backrest might also help.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 pm

how much is an airhawk seat anyway?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 am

tankyuong wrote:
how much is an airhawk seat anyway?

With butt-rest Medium
Without butt-rest Large

Both $129.99 at http://www.derbycycles.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 am

Dennis, I've considered getting a custom seat like a corbin because I find that the stock seat puts most of the pressure on my tailbone and not enough area to spread the pressure around. I'm 6 ft. and about 200 lbs. Is the corbin that much wider that the pressure will be spread around more evenly? Also I recently adjusted the rear shocks to #3 from the factory setting of #2. Firmer, but I didn't think that much.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Jeff,

I'm 6' and 250 pounds. I need to lose a little. Suspect

Here is a picture of the corbin seat with a Air Hawk installed. The Corbin seat makes all the difference in the world. It is much wider and a lot firmer than the stock seat. I have my shocks cranked all the way to 5 all the time.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/airhawk-on-corbin-saddle-t464.htm

DennisB sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 am

Sorry.

Last edited by Jay600 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

I can understand your concerns. When you order a Corbin Saddle they ask you questions as to hight, weight, and inseam of your pants so they can manufacture the saddle to your personal requiments and needs. You can also request extra stuff if you want.

DennisB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am

I see it doesn't take much to hijack a thread. I kind of expected it though. :bounce1:
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 am

Anyways... with out the Corbin Saddle and the airhawk installed I would not be able to ride the scooter much and would have gotten rid it in short order. The Corbin is well worth the money if you have sciatica.

There's a lot of things in this life that are a pain in the ass...Your Honda Silverwing should not be one of them.

Keep in mined that most aftermarket things need a little adjusting and getting used to.

DennisB sunny
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

I felt the stock saddle was uncomfortable for long distances - anything greater than 400 miles at a time. We took our saddles to a local upholsterer and he fixed us up. The big difference between the old saddles and the new ones, other than the customization. We sit in the new ones and sat on the old ones.

Our custom saddles are modeled on a corbin saddle and I sit a bit farther back than my wife does. Find a local guy who does seats - ask at the Harley Davidson shop, they'll know someone.

You could also remove the butt rest and pull the vinyl back covering the nose of the saddle to reveal the foam that the rider sits on. Cut out an interior section of the foam and replace it with a different density foam or the memory foam and then recover with the original vinyl.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:51 pm

I have been wanting to modify my stock seat. The local upholstery shop wanted 125 dollars to reshape the seat. I have seen either here or on another site pic on how someone reshaped the seat themselves. I took the seat off today took the staples out and pull back the cover and got out the old electric knife. I then drew an outline of where I wanted to cut. I then start slowing cutting the foam. I made a nice saddle shape out of it. I put the cover back on and the seat back on and now I sit in the seat and not on the seat. I took it for a ride and it felt great. It even felted good without the airhawk but I am sure I will use it for longer rides. You would think that taking out about 1 inch or so of foam that it would be harder but quite the opposite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat and sciatica.   Stock seat and sciatica. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stock seat and sciatica.
Page 1 of 1