Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lowkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? Empty
PostSubject: Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?   Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 4:24 pm

I am likely wasting my time since nobody has
confessed to checking their valve clearances
themselves, but on the outside chance that somebody
actually has and not mentioned it, is there a workaround
for the special tool supposedly needed to hold the cam
chain tensioner?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?   Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Um...there might be a "template" in the FSM that you can copy then transfer to a piece of thin metal to cut out. IIRC someone mentioned that they cut out that piece from an old license plate. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?   Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Get yourself a piece of 1"metal pipe strap the king to hold a bundle of plywood for shipping and form it to specs to make a key. 8_6 in the service manual 15 mm wide reduce to 8.5 mm,3 mm deep , then 4.5 mm 19mm long  total lenght is 15 mm + 19mm .If you don't have any problems leave it alone, save yourself the trouble until any problems occurs .
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?   Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 12:08 pm

I'm reviving an old thread again! Timing Chain. Has anybody had a problem with the timing chain on their SW? There isn't much on the forum so I'm hoping that it is not an issue. My old Hondas in the 70's ( Honda K4, G5, and Dream) used to eat timing chains for breakfast and the tensioners used to break quite regularly. (What was that yellow Honda which was a sporty looking version of the G5?).

The top of this thread talks about checking the SW valve clearances. Why would we need a timing chain tool when checking valve clearances?

I wouldn't mind checking the valve clearances as part of my maintenance but where does the timing chain fit in?

Lots of questions...I'm just curious.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?   Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 1:16 pm

90,000 plus miles with two new SilverWings, 2009 and 2013, and no engine troubles---never bothered to check value clearances----I think waste of time/effort. Ever think what you can screw up going in there? And most SilverWings do not get high miles....as they are not ridden that much.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?   Tool to hold cam chain tensioner? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 am

Just as I thought. I think I'll leave well alone. bounce
Back to top Go down

Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?
Page 1 of 1