Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil leak or drip found and fixed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Oil leak or drip found and fixed Empty
PostSubject: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 12:56 pm

My 2013 SilverWing has had an oil leak/drip for the past couple of months from the left side of the rear drive train.I took off the plastic covers on the left side of the swing arm/gear case, to look for source-----appeared to be from fill/drain plug. Bought $2.34 Crush Washer from Honda---this washer looks like a regular 8mm flat washer, but is not. Used it and still had minor drip after long hot highway run.

So took bolt with washer out, made sure case not overfilled by leaving hole open overnite with bike on centerstand, level garage floor. This time installed bolt with RTV gasket maker on threads and both sides of washer. Re-installed bolt, long test ride and several days regular use=no more drip/puddle on ground.

In many years of working on Japanese bikes/scooters this is first drain drip I have had in spite of re-using washers.

Before some of the experts in English language jump on me---I am also aware SilverWing has after oil change a drip from engine area plate---easy fixed by a rag or engine cleaner.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 12:58 pm

John,

That is good news you were able to find this leak. I always reused the washers and never had a problem as well.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 3:51 am

This leak came from filler plug only.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 am

For many years, and on many different vehicles, I have used a trick with great success. I wrap the lower threads, and washer, with 3-4 turns of teflon tape which has always made a good seal. I also did this on the filler cap / level check of an old Beemer and it worked there as well.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 am

My sealing lasted 3 days. Took out bolt this AM, cleaned bolt and washer up, this time tried/used Teflon tape---will run 40 high speed mile today.

Am leaving for Maine on Monday----hope leak area stay dry

I have another bike, but prefer SilverWing for this trip-----leak continues, I will let Honda do it under warranty...after trip.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I use liquid teflon gas pipe doap on the tread and flange at every oil change . Good from oil change to oil change . motorcycle
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am

Oil leak/drip came back in recent days.

Tried lots of Teflon tape on threads and new HONDA washer again=no work after hard/hot ride.

Last try--8mm flat washer from my junk box, cleaned it, made sure flat(hammer and anvil) small amount of Teflon tape from different roll.

250 miles yesterday and still no leak appeared. Let's see how long this works.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am

I bet if you moved to Michigan the leak would disappear. And then you wouldn't be bored, hot, and cranky.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Liquid teflon Is what I use . As a gas pipe fitter with 40 + years or go to the old school and use oil base paint on threads and flange.  Teflon tap has to be pink in colour for liquid gas , natural gas and propane . White teflon tap is only good for water leaks . And you can thank me later. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil leak or drip found and fixed   Oil leak or drip found and fixed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil leak or drip found and fixed
Page 1 of 1