Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Go new or used?

Go down 
+5
model28a
JeffR_
ScooterBJ
SteveO
mawmaw
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-04-27

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 am

As I stated previously I wont be ready to buy until most likely July but wanting to get some ideas.
Do i go and finance a new bike or go with used?
Being first bike and all I don't know if buying new is the better idea or used but I am seeing that new has warranty included so that is enticing.
So please any advice so I can get better ideas.
Back to top Go down

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:14 am

When I got my scooter last year, I looked for a clean used bike. Some used bikes are not in good shape. I was able to find a clean used bike that was garage-kept and obviously well maintained. I bought from an individual, not a dealer, so I had to bring cash. If you an find a clean used scooter and you have cash available I would go that route.
Back to top Go down
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks! Being I am new to this I have no idea what to look for in used as far as knowing if it will last a decent amount of time. I was kind of leaning on a used model too but that"s where my doubts come in is that I have no idea what I am looking for in used. Don't want to be the forum pest lol but other than loving the ride of a scooter and not needing a car with kids all grown lol I really want to make the right choice. thanks for any advice and input.
Back to top Go down

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 am

Looking at the bike is important. Also, have the current owner start it up so you can haer the engine. Look at Craig's List and Cycle Trader to get an idea what scooters sell for in your area. Also check out NADA Guide for bikes. Ask the current owner about service - do they have service records? Looking at the bike and talking to the owner in person will tell you a lot about how the bike has been cared for. There are no guarantees!
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 11:26 am

Mawmaw,
Welcome to the best place for Silverwing information and all the worldly advice of any kind of scooter riding. Last year I got a 2009 swing with 30k miles on it but I did know the owner and that the bike was well cared for. When hunting I did find lot of good used Swings. In Tenn with you are several member that I am sure would be glad to help you in looking at any used Swing you find near them, just ask for help. I too kept thinking New = warranty, Used = ??, but from the information from our members and now my own experience I decided that used is a better deal. If you are not happy with what you get it is easier to sell and then try again, or maybe you'll decide on something smaller or even bigger. The Swing for me is a low maintenance and very dependable bike.  

What ever you do just keep on talking to this group and you will feel good about your decision.

WELCOME!!!!

SteveO
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 12:19 pm

I always buy used, but I tend to be quite good at checking out the bike/scoot, negotiating a good deal and I do all my own repairs and upgrades. So a lot will depend on your ability to work with a used machine. If you are looking for low risk, buying new is best. Finding a new leftover would be a deal.
Back to top Go down

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm

I didn't have any qualms about buying my SilverWing used because, well, it's a Honda.

It's been 4 years since I bought my 2002 and I don't have any regrets.
Back to top Go down
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 2:53 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I didn't have any qualms about buying my SilverWing used because, well, it's a Honda.

It's been 4 years since I bought my 2002 and I don't have any regrets.

Thanks for everyone's advice here! And yes I agree honda makes an excellent product that is why I don't want to go with any other type of scooter.   Everything I have ever experienced and known about Honda has been great!
Used cars I had no problem picking out a keeper so maybe i will do the same with the Honda scooter...

Also I have Tn as my state technically that will be true come May 18th.  And I wont be buying until after that anyways.

Side question instead of having to start a new thread how do yall get your pics by your user name?? lol computers definitely not my strong suit!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 pm

To put a picture for your name do the following:

You must be logged in !!!

Go up to the top to "Profile"

then go to "Avatar"

then look for "Upload an Avatar from your computer"

then hit the "choose File"

you will need to look through your computer files to chose a picture you want.

OR

go to the bottom of the page and hit the "Show Gallery" button

and then look around for a pic you like.  You can hit the drop down arrow to get more selections as well.
Back to top Go down
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks JeffR I got it YAY!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:03 pm

I say go used. If you have never owned a scooter before you don't want to scratch a brand new scooter. You can buy a used scooter for less than half what a new one costs. As others have said it's not hard to tell a good one just by looking and listening to it. Oh and welcome to the forum and good luck with finding a good scooter.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:58 pm

mawmaw wrote:
Thanks JeffR I got it YAY!

Cool, glad to help.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Welcome to the Forum mawmaw.

I have been riding for 3 1/2 years. I bought a 2009 Swing in Sept. 2010 with 3700 miles on it. I found it on Scooterfinds.com.

I went with a used scooter. I had never ridden before except when I took an MSF course.

I was lucky I bought if from an elderly gentleman who took very good care of it.
My husband was on a MC trip down in southern Illinois and was able to check it out. I paid $5200 for it. It has been dropped a few times. By the previous owner and me. No terrible damage though. Just some scratches and broken tabs. I now have over 45,000 miles on it.

I am really enjoying the Swing. I did not discover this forum till after I bought mine. It has been a tremendous help with very friendly folks. You should be able to find a used Swing or if you choose to a new left over one for a good price.
Just keep reading the posts and you will have lots of info to make a confident decision. Good luck in your search.

Cathy

swing 

Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Take a safety course.

If you're looking for a sound financial decision, buy used. I personally would never finance a bike. I'd either save or buy used.

Make sure you are factoring in other costs. Gear will set you back about $500 or so for modest but good gear (you can do a bit less, or a lot more) - this is pants, boots, gloves, coat, and full face helmet - which is definitely what a new rider doing the smart thing should ride with (everything should be designed for motorcycle, not work boots or garden gloves, and definitely not jeans). Your first service, if you take it to the dealer, can cost $500. That's at 600 miles or so. Other services (every 4K miles) can cost several hundred dollars. Obviously it's much less if you know how to do the work and can do the work without messing things up (if you own and know how to use a torque wrench, you'll probably be fine with maintenance on the bike; if you don't, you probably have a lot to learn first). Tires every 6,000 miles or so will run a few hundred dollars if you have a dealer mount them.

I'd consider smaller, lighter, but still highway capable bikes if I was in your shoes. 300 to 400cc is plenty for highway speed and more friendly to beginners. Also cheaper to run.

Whatever you do, I think you'll have a great time with a scooter!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:08 pm

mawmaw,

The Swing really hasn't changed much so buying used is no problem at all. Just ask questions about the maintenance and how often the oil was changed and also how many miles are on the belt. A good SWing will last 100,000 miles easy.
Back to top Go down
William McDonald
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2023-04-02

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2023 8:16 pm

model28a wrote:
I say go used. If you have never owned a scooter before you don't want to scratch a brand new scooter. You can buy a used scooter for less than half what a new one costs. As others have said it's not hard to tell a good one just by looking and listening to it. Oh and welcome to the forum and good luck with finding a good scooter.
I have found 2012 with 2400 miles,looks clean sounds good.Buying from a Honda dealer should I worry about it.What are things to really look for.I have no one experienced to go with me
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Go new or used? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Go new or used?   Go new or used? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 7:34 am

It may depend on whether the bike has had any mods fitted by previous owners. If you test ride it I would be listening for any strange squeals or harsh vibrations on take off. This can be caused by a number of things but it's not usually anything that can't be easily remedied. Also, try taking it up to motorway cruising speeds to check that all is smooth and quiet.

Ask the dealer to change the oil and filter before you buy. The oil drain plugs are known to be reluctant to come off if it has been overtightened. Also ask them to check the colour of the brake fluid in case the bike has been standing for long periods.

If you do buy it, I would suggest changing the drive belt regardless of the mileage (or maybe the dealer would that for you).

Most dealers will give a short-term guarantee on failure of major mechanical parts so if rides well and sounds OK then it's probably worth a punt.
Back to top Go down

Go new or used?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: