Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Returned from 3 day trip

Go down 
+6
paulc
Mudnman
jmaslak
GHM-PM
dspevack
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Returned from 3 day trip Empty
PostSubject: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 2:31 am

Just returned from 2 day trip that turned into 3 cold days.

As I plan to ride to 49 states in 2014, have done 9 so far, this one VA WV KY.

Took off on Tues this week, nice weather with maybe a little rain in the forecast and maybe a little colder, so ok in my book.

Near VA border it started to snow, road was warm so not slippery other than wet----total white out happened, lucky, the no-see came right in front of crappy motel. So early stop.

Second day---20 degrees F and stayed that way most of the day. No new snow and roads salted (great for new machine), Had Darien jacket and pants....not real mid-winter stuff, feather jacket under and feather vest, rather than my usual just longunderwear I added jeans for the day...maybe added some insulation but complicated the peeing. Rubber boots over my Combat Light Boots--feet warm. Hands in the 20 degree riding, a little cold--ski gloves, better than bike gloves. This day I used helmet with face shield, air vent duct taped and Italian head bag(ski mask)=ok. Stopped early as their was no sense in pushing on.

Third day----weather was supposed to get warm...it did on the last 5 miles before my house.

Observation: #1 I should have worn or at least taken my Stone Lake leather bibs----bibs are warmer than pants with normal waist. #2 Real cold, gas mileage hung at 50 or so, even thought slow going. #3 At 20 degrees, overnight sitting outside scooter fired right up like it should.

#4 Givi adjustable windshield offers little hand protection in the real/cold world......but great in blinding snow storm as you can/do look over......really would like to see the supporters of looking thru shield function in the snow conditions!!

#5 700 miles,, saw on HD big twin and one GoldWing on 2nd day-----but lots of trailer bikers. Guess wimps do not ride when cold---funny but in Europe there are mid-winter rallies, where riders show up.

Last SilverWing ok in slippery, Helix was better---best in my experience P series Vespa----scooters. Real motorcycle, non linked brakes--tank to hold with knees, pegs to stand on much better....and lots of dirt riding experience. Heated grips would be nice.

Next winter heated grips, different outer jacket.....you are always learning. In past I found Aerostich one piece suit, with Waxed Cotton XXL Barbour jacket over it very warm and comfortable.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 am

John,
Aren't you riding a standard US Spec Silverwing?
If so why did you post this in the :: Other Scooters :: Honda SWT400/SWT600 Section?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 am

I didn't----put in proper place pls. Mine is reg new US leftover 2013 SilverWing
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 8:42 am

Interesting ride!!! Thanks (I think) for taking us along, brrrr.  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I've ridden in snow, but only when I had no other choice (in otherwords, I screwed up my planning). It's not the cold that bothers me (I can and do ride in any temperature). It's the gravel / ice and the salt that bother me. Salt rusts the bike, the gravel/ice can trip up even the best rider. Nevermind the other vehicles, not all of which are piloted by someone who is as perfect as me! It's not worth it to me. I'd go south, not north. I'm fine taking the cage in dangerous weather.

I personally like the heated gloves more than the heated grips in the cold. The gloves put the heat more where it is actually needed, and it's nice to be able to wear a slightly thinner glove.

Glad the scooter did good - sounds like you put a lot of miles on it.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Salt Away or Salt Terminator  will remove salt like no other! It's not just for boats.

Last edited by Mudnman on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paulc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Heated grips are fab!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 10:23 pm

John,

Thanks for the write up and it must be nice to be able to travel like this. One day my wife and I will do some longer trips. Glad you enjoyed yourself and you were safe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 pm

When do you plan on hitting North Dakota? Any chance of passing through Grand Forks?
I could ride down from Winnipeg, take some selfies with the infamous John Grinsel, and post them on here.
BTW, the ND public restrooms are spotlessly clean, unlike those in Tennessee.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 12:06 am

Heated grips are great and heated grips plus heated gloves are superb. My Gerbings heated gloves have all their heating wires on the back side of one's hands and fingers so with heat on the outside from the gloves and heat on the inside from the grips you have a formula for nirvana on two wheels. On my SW I could turn down the heat on the gloves about 50% once I had the Givi Adjustable windshield as well. In below freezing weather the Givi really helped keep the blast off my hands.

BTW - I find that my BMW's fairing doesn't prevent wind blowing up my pants legs as well as the SW did. I have to put my feet all the way forward or bend my knees to get my legs far back on the floorboards on the BMW to keep the wind off my ankles. The SW is a good bit better at protecting your lower legs in the cold.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 7:14 am

Of course will hit ND, MT, ID probably on way to BC and Hyder AK. Hyder is the easy way to ride in AK---about a day's ride from Seattle. Only dirt is the 3/4 mile or so as you cross in the US.

I make no plans, do not carry computer----but will leave telephone # before I depart and at least return calls.

Today project=washing the salt off my new scooter. Must be done. I use the old fashioned Gunk and brush on the engine/alu parts.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Mapquest says it is 1002 miles and 18 hours of driving based on current traffic.  Those are not freeway miles.  

I remember reading you towed a camper trailer with a motorcycle up there once, so perhaps you know a faster / shorter route.  

We have a group from the Goldwing Forum that is planning a trip up there in 2015, so I would be interested in your past experience on that route.

When you travel through this area, I would offer you a place to stop and get out of the rain, wash some clothes and get a good nights sleep here at my place.  Send you off with a good old fashioned cup of Seattle's Best Coffee to boot.

You might need to change a tire or your oil coming from your place to here.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 4:59 pm

MapQuest must be set up by some computer geek----Hyder AK is off of BC hwy 37 & 37A---is one day ride from Seattle---probably not 500 miles. Hwy 37 is paved, at least to 37A-----I recall further north towards Watson Lake a day of riding in the mud, but that was 15 years ago.

Thanks for offer-----for me to reach goal of 49 states, Hyder is easiest point to touch AK from US and non challenging. Am traveler not tourist.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm not sure your mileage estimate is accurate. I've driven the route from Bellingham, WA to Hyder a couple of times when I lived in Ketchikan. It's a bit over 900 miles to Bellingham from Hyder so add the 90 miles or so to Seattle and it's almost exactly 1000 miles between Seattle and Hyder. It's 1000 miles plus a bit from Prince Rupert to Tacoma, WA. I've driven that one several times too. I've flown the coastal route between Ketchikan about ten times in various airplanes we've owned and know it's 600 air miles between Ketchikan and Bellingham. That's pretty much direct so it's a lot shorter than the highway. My Lake amphibian couldn't quite make it in one shot we had to stop at Port Hardy in Northern Vancouver Island for fuel. The Mooney could make it non-stop from Juneau to Tacoma, WA and take only a little over half the time the Amphib could do it in.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Google says it is a 1000 miles and 20.5 hours of driving.

But I don't have a dog in this fight until I plan my trip to Alaska. I might just check the GPS and see how it routes me using the least mileage factors when I have a moment with it.

As you know John, I have a trailer too, so if you have some difficulties out there on the road heading this way, to give me a shout and I would come get ya.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returned from 3 day trip   Returned from 3 day trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returned from 3 day trip
Page 1 of 1