Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Coocase Installation

Go down 
+5
exavid
john grinsel
CathyN
Mudnman
f-15hurler
9 posters
AuthorMessage
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Coocase Installation Empty
PostSubject: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Good evening all. Well, I did it and picked up an '07 ABS. Love it so far. Changed belt, installed Dr. Pulleys. It's a lot of fun. I picked up a Coocase S50 Astra from Twisted Throttle. Couldn't pass up the price. Has anyone out there installed one? The instruction aren't the greatest, and I want to make sure I do it right and not muck it up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and have a wonderful evening.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Did you see the video?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/news-and-events/installation-guide-for-coocase-s28-v28-v36-s48-base-plates.html
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 11:23 pm

My husband installed a Givi mounting plate to my Coocase S48. We didn't like the mounting plate that came with the Coocase. Didn't seem strong enough too us. Twisted Throttle will be able to tell you what Givi mounting plate would work with the S50 Coocase. If you choose to go that route.

The case has worked well for me. The electronics are not so great. The brake lights flicker. The alarm and remote are intermittent. The room to carry stuff in the case is great. Bob drilled holes into the factory plate to match up to the Givi plate. The Coocase is secured well to the factory plate. We had the same problem with the instructions. On both mounting plates. We used common sense. I wish I could remember more but it has been three years. I know I am glad I put on the Givi plate. I used only the lower base. I kept the top attachment if I ever buy a Givi top case in the future. Hope this helps you a bit.
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 pm

Thanks Mudnman. Video didn't really offer much. Also thanks CathyN. All good things to know. I'll try to muddle through this come this weekend. I mean how expensive can it be if I screw it up ;-). I picked up the basic box so at least I don't have to contend with the power issues. I appreciate the heads up on the Givi mount.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:42 am

I didn't watch the vid.I googled coocase because I didn't know what it was.Up popped instruction vid so I posted it.
Who ever installed my box used bolts that were too long and haven't messed with it yet.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 8:12 am

Isn't Coocase a cheaper version of GIVI----so I think should work on Monokey rack? Or bolted directly to the 4 pre drilled holes in the rear spoiler? Bolted directly is the mode I would prefer---bolt on=leave on but probably never fall off,
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Okay. Installed the case. Actually pretty straightforward, and the mount that comes with it is okay. I drilled out the four "predrilled" holes on the underside of the rear spoiler (I giggle just a little bit every time I refer to it as a spoiler). Two holes line up perfect. Unfortunately the other two don't. So right now I just have two bolts holding it on. I'll probably need to drill two additional holes to shore it up nicely. I really was starting to doubt my purchase based on the size of the case. Not so much now. It looks good on it. Can't beat the price at Twisted Throttle.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 am

I made an aluminum base for the Coocase mount I put on my SW. It was a piece of 3/16" aluminum that I mounted to the bike with the four bolts through the partial holes in the scooter tail piece. I cut four small aluminum tubes that acted as spacers between the tail piece and the aluminum base plate upon which I bolted the Coocase mounting plate. The aluminum base was angled slightly to be level when the bike was level. That was accomplished by using longer aluminum tube spacers in the front of the base than at the rear. I mounted the base plate as far aft as possible so the Coocase back rest wouldn't intrude into the seating space. It worked out well, the level case looked good. The electronics worked well lights worked but they're so small as to be useless. The remote control worked very well and was quite handy. I was used to the fob on my Goldwing so the Coocase fob was something I quickly adapted to.
I ran the electric cable down through a hole in the aluminum base plate and inside the left side cover by the tail piece mount. That way I didn't have to cut any holes for it and it was almost completely hidden. Also that was a very handy place to splice into the brake light cable and a constant 12V source for the remote control receiver.
I really liked the Coocase. My current BMW 650GT has the BMW top case which is very high quality but I liked the Coocase a bit better. It was lighter, the same sized BMW case weighs 13lbs empty. The BMW case lacks any lights or remote. BTW the original owner paid almost $800 for the BMW case, liner, and mounting bracket. Everything top drawer but wow! Eight hundred smackers for a top case. I'd wear a back pack first. Lucky for me it came on the bike.
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks exavid. Appreciate the input. I like your signature BTW :-)
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am

exavid wrote:
BTW the original owner paid almost $800 for the BMW case, liner, and mounting bracket. Everything top drawer but wow! Eight hundred smackers for a top case. I'd wear a back pack first. Lucky for me it came on the bike.

BMW = Bring More Wampum

Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 7:22 pm

I would say in the $800 cost , you are paying at least $500 for the joy of having the BMW logo on the box.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 am

You're paying $800 for a not so useful 35 litre top box, liner, and rack to fit the box on, that's £480.72 in our money. To buy the same items from BMW in the UK and a colour matched top box lid, the price is £390.05, that converts to $649.11 so $800 is rather expensive.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 am

That is expensive ! As a comparison I recently purchased a Shad 40L top box ,LED brake light strip ,Px Back rest and a colour insert for the box for AUD294.00 .It's that magic badge ………………..
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:17 pm

The coocase s50 basic with back pad and shipping...about $125. It's a nice case. I'm very happy with it. I just need to figure out a better mount solution. The supplied plastic mount is okay, but doesn't match up with the mount holes on the rear spoiler. Right now it's only held on with two bolts and isn't solid enough for my liking. I'm trying to find a rack of sorts that attaches, that I can in turn attach the supplied mount to more solidly. I'm telling you though, it's a nice case.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm guessing my Bestem box didn't line up.There is 2 extra holes where it doesn't line up in the back.Looks like 2 holes were drilled.It has 4 bolts holding it on.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 pm

f-15hurler,
We felt the same about the Coocase mounting plate. We called twisted throttle they suggested the Givi mount. We had to drill two additional holes into the spoiler. There were two holes already drilled in the spoiler from a passenger back rest that was on the bike when I bought it.
Back to top Go down
f-15hurler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks again CathyN. You know how us guys operate...have to do everything the hard way and figure it out. Until we can't and then have a Homer moment. I will drop them a line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coocase Installation   Coocase Installation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coocase Installation
Page 1 of 1