Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 10:05 am

» LF extended back rest
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

J.casta pin purchase ?

Go down 
+4
Cosmic_Jumper
jdeereanton
bigbird
Mudnman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-16

J.casta pin purchase ? Empty
PostSubject: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 3:54 am

Does anyone know where to buy pins?Have you heard of Dr.Pulley pins?Is there a brass bushing that wears out?
I like this varo but 36mpg is a bit much,50 mpg on highway.
I bet I could get it down in 20's mpg if I really tried.That'd be fun!
I could buy a stock varo and dr.pulley slides for about 180 and get better gas mileage in town.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 am

Dr. Pulley doesn't make pins for a J Costa.

I think that you're asking if the large brass bushing inside the J Costa varistor wears out. I suppose it could after a long period of use. In the year that I used my J Costa there was significant wear on the ends of the pins, but none on the bushing.

I still get tingles every time I use the Google search engine. You should try it.
Here you go:

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/0168JC645FS/0-968-156-121-3519-3522/Variator_J.Costa_Tranversal_Silver_Wing-_SW-T_600i_4T_01-%3E.html
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:46 am

You might get a quiver over this then! Pins and differant weights too.yes Dr p's.Not sure if they make them for swing.

So it seems there not very much in demand here in the states.Across the pond ordering only?

Pic of Dr P's
http://tinyurl.com/lo8bajf

http://www.partsforscooters.com/search-results?keywords=J.casta
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 pm

The initial and the follow-on post are so muddled that I'm not sure what you are asking, nor what outcome you desire.

Would you like to purchase replacement pins for the J. Costa variator?  If so then the link provided by bigbird is your friend.  http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/0168JC16034015516M/0-968-156-121-3519-3522/Gliding_Rollers_J.Costa_16_x_%C3%9834mm_de_15,5gr..html

Not certain there is a Dr. Pulley option for the J. Costa Silverwing variator.

Last edited by jdeereanton on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected a capitalization error. I'm not sertun that the OP will notice bet spelun mates.)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Sifting through circumlocutionary posts can be a PITA. I try to be more patient these days.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm

bigbird wrote:
Sifting through circumlocutionary posts can be a PITA. I try to be more patient these days.

Cool You did fine given the circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Circumlocutionary indeed. Can't you just stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel? Wink
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Circumlocutionary indeed. Can't you just stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel? Wink

I feel good, thanks Tim.
Still damn cold up here and no letup in sight.
This is a winter to remember up here. Not super deep cold, but prolonged below normal cold. I can't remember more than a few days in the past 2 months that the daytime high has been above 5F. Add to that the fact that we have 40% more snowfall than normal and driving is not a treat. The roads are all cleared, but the windrows and piles left at the intersections make safe navigation a real challenge.
Enough meandering from the topic for me. Back to the J. Costa convoluted inquiries.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 5:08 pm

bigbird wrote:

I feel good, thanks Tim.
Still damn cold up here and no letup in sight.
This is a winter to remember up here. Not super deep cold, but prolonged below normal cold. I can't remember more than a few days in the past 2 months that the daytime high has been above 5F. Add to that the fact that we have 40% more snowfall than normal and driving is not a treat. The roads are all cleared, but the windrows and piles left at the intersections make safe navigation a real challenge.
Enough meandering from the topic for me. Back to the J. Costa convoluted inquiries.

applausecheers applause applause cheers 
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Okay, who here had to look up "Circumlocutionary"?   Shocked  :lol!: 

<----Would have raised hand but needs it to balance on knees.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 am

http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-396-Dr-Pulley-Gliding-J-Costa-Roller-Weights-TMAX
The Dr Pulley pins 16x34 come in 15.5 to 20 gram weights in Largo Fl.Sixty bucks shipped.
Looks like for an extra fourteen bucks I can buy heavier weights to get better gas mileage in town.
Any suggestions on what weight I should buy?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
J.casta pin purchase ? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 am

dspevack wrote:
Okay, who here had to look up "Circumlocutionary"?   Shocked  :lol!: 

<----Would have raised hand but needs it to balance on knees.
   cheers  It's not in my Texican dictionary......but BS is.    Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Dr Pulley did make pins for J.Costa variators. I don't know what weight & size the OEM J.Costa pins for their Silverwing variators were, but given the poor wear characteristics of the J.Costa pins then Dr Pulley replacement pins would be a huge improvement.

I sure would like to be able to check out a Dr Pulley performance variator designed for the S/W if they ever produce one. But given that the S/W 'transmission' is such a dated design I doubt that Dr Pulley will go to the expense of designing one for a limited market.

Meanwhile they still offer a good selection of variator Sliding roller weights and their HiT clutch kit.

Tim
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Well the size of the pins in the link provided by bigbird is 16 x Ø34 at 15.5 gr. for a J. Costa manufactured Silverwing variator.

The link provided by Mudnman is for a Dr. Pulley manufactured TMAX variator, but the size is 16 x Ø34 at 15.5, 16.5, 18.5 or 20 gr.

I do not know what the original J. Costa pins weigh, and I think I am just now starting to understand what Mudnman is asking. However, I cannot answer what I perceive to be his question(s) - what weight to buy for performance or efficiency.

Will the Dr. Pulley weights for the TMAX work in the J. Costa? It would seem as though they should, but any damage that occurs to your scoot is your problem and my advice is worth what you pay for it.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 pm

I bought the scoot not knowing it had a J casta.I didn't have a scale to weigh the weights.The way it performs suggests they are light pins,15.5 grams.Low speeds = high RPM,lots of torque!With heavier weight pins the RPM's will be lower (let's say between 30-45) =more mpg.I'm wanting more mpg.What I'm asking is if you've had experience with different weight pins or any thoughts.
Happy Friday
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 12:12 am

First, it's J. Costa, not J. Casta.
Maybe that's why you've been unsuccessful with any searches you've done?

Second, if no one has suggested what J. Costa pin weights to use, it's likely because no one has experimented with J. Costa pin weights and can't give you any definitive answer?

I can give you my advice based on my experience with all 3 combinations; stock, J. Costa, and Dr. Pulley.

If you are looking for smooth operation of the belt and variator, along with increased performance and reduced cruising rpm, I suggest buying Dr. Pulley 24 gram sliders to be used in conjunction with a stock Honda variator. You say your Swing came with a J. Costa variator in it. That implies that you do not have the original Honda variator parts.

That being said, if you don't want to buy Honda parts, you are then faced with finding heavier J. Costa pins. Cosmic_Jumper stated that Dr. Pulley made (as in past tense) J. Costa pins. I haven't seen them advertised anywhere. But that doesn't mean they aren't around somewhere. Why not PM Cosmic_Jumper and he might point you in the right direction if he can?

Other than that, it seems this topic is approaching that of flagellating a deceased Equus ferus caballus.  deadhorse

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 am

I have a J. Costa, but no longer use it, and the pins are all the same weight. Unless they just started making different weights they only have the one size/weight pins. My pins lasted about 8,000-9,000 miles before they started to wear down. That might be one reason for your rpms also. The more miles you put on the pins the lighter they get.

You should still be getting much better mpg's though. I avg'd about 45 mpg when I had my J Costa in . I now have the 28 gr Dr Pulley sliders and like those. I tried the 21 gr and it was like the J Costa but the rpms seemed to stay pretty high. I'm sure the 24 gr are much better overall.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 2:52 am

I second Big Bird's suggestion of stock variator with Dr. Pulley sliders. I went with the 26g weights, but that's personal preference. I see > 50mpg (US gallons) anywhere, and I don't drive conservatively. Obviously if you have a brake dragging, worn belt, worn clutch parts, etc, you also could get bad MPG. But I'll bet going to a stock variator will help and that the J Costa is worn.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 2:58 am

Hey thanks for all the comments.By Monday I'll decide what to buy.I'm tossing around a Malossi varo too.I have a malossi varo on a vespa.Good performance without affecting gas mileage .
Happy Friday
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 3:00 am

The Malossi isn't much different than the stock really. You would save a lot of money by just getting the Dr Pulley sliders really.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 am

I agree with Big Bird & JeffR's comments.

J.Costa variators are infamous for their short pin life. Most of the original users quickly reverted back to using the OEM variator along with Dr Pulley Sliding roller weights. Some because of the cost of replacing the pins and seemingly shortly after those experiences the J.Costa became unavailable here.

Ebay should prove to be a decent source for an inexpensive OEM variator and there are a few sources for Dr Pulley Sliders. I have no idea where to purchase J.Costa pins.

The OEM variator uses 28gm Roller weights; 28gm Dr Pulley Sliders are a very successful replacement, 26gm, 24gm or 22gm Sliders give much more impressive performance. If it's performance you're looking for I don't think that you'll regret going with 24gm Sliders. HTH.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 am

I did not get the stock varo with the swing. I'll have a look on ebay to see what's there.There $120 at partzilla.And $60 for sliders=$180 to have a stock varo and sliders,all new parts.Plus a new belt.

Or I'll try Dr Pulley pins,$60.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 pm

You want stock mileage, so I'd go stock...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J.casta pin purchase ?   J.casta pin purchase ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J.casta pin purchase ?
Page 1 of 1