Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Duct tape on a Swing !!!

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
cotetoi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Duct tape on a Swing !!! Empty
PostSubject: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I was getting very annoyed with the rattle and buzz whenever I slowed down to about 50 kmh. The rattle would diminish and sometimes stop if I squeezed the handlebar cover. So, I took the cover off this afternoon, and found nothing under there that could cause the noise. Everything looks soft; except for the tabs and metal inserts that hold the two pieces together. I got the idea to tape the metal inserts with some duck tape. I tried the bike up and down my street, and that rattle and buzz is gone.
But there are others in other places on the bike !! Space Age material to the rescue.
I also did temporary repairs on a couple of cracks at the very bottom of the right skirt fender. The tab with metal insert was broken, but with all the pieces still there, crazy glue and duck tape to the rescue. Most of the tape is on the inside, so the repair looks quite good. When it doesn't: new tupperware.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Ah ha! Duct Tape, Red Green's secret weapon.

BTW Crazy glue probably won't hold too long, but if you can get hold of a small can of ABS plastic plumbing pipe cement (glue) and some fiber glass drywall tape you can repair the cracks, etc from the inside. Be sure that you sand off the old paint & stuff from the area where you want the cement to adhere to. And be sure that you use ABS-only cement, PVC or PVC/ABS cement wont work.

Acetone (nail polish remover) might also work initially as it melts the ABS body work and might help fuse it together --but without any additional support. Use it sparingly though as it will weep into the crack and end up melting the paint on the outside of the panel.

Tim
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Duct tape on a Swing !!! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Ah, duct tape, Sometimes called Oklahoma Chrome. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 am

ABS cement does work well on the Honda ABS plastic you get a chemical weld instead of simple surface adhesion. Much stronger than any epoxy based adhesive and cheaper as well as easier to use. One thing to be careful about is if you need a thick build up for reinforcement do it with several thing coats. A thick coat will take forever to dry since it will skin over before all the solvents have evaporated. I've repaired a lot of Goldwing parts and a couple SW parts in my old shop and never had one come back.
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 pm

I also have a annoying buzz comming from the front during acceleration. I removed the handle bar covers, seen nothing that could cause the noise. I snugged everything up by using wire ties on the electrical wireing on both sides. Still have the buzz..
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 pm

You know how things turn out when you miss the rattle and buzz from a low speed pick-up. Well, it seems the duct tape on the metal inserts for the tabs in the steering covers has taken care of the buzz and rattle in the front panel. I went for a spin this afternoon, and don't remember getting rattled by the racket up front. No wonder they have duct tape on the ISS.
Back to top Go down
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Red Green would be proud!! :lol!: 
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duct tape on a Swing !!!   Duct tape on a Swing !!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duct tape on a Swing !!!
Page 1 of 1