Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2021 Forum Picture
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Naples Vidiot Today at 1:05 pm

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby MarkF Today at 12:49 pm

» 6 months in....
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Today at 9:47 am

» spongy front brake after multiple bleeds
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:02 am

» Looking for Scooter Photos
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Why was the Silverwing discontinued in 2013?
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby gustav Thu May 06, 2021 6:30 pm

» Forks bottoming out?
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 am

» New old silverwing
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Wed May 05, 2021 8:58 pm

» Honda Silverwing OEM service manual deal
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Dabutcher Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 pm

» SHAD luggage uk.
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby JamieB Wed May 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

crush washers.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2013-06-27

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am

Hi guys ( and gals), I knew I had forgotten to mention something when I did the final drive oil change. I came across crush washers on both the drain and the filling hole. I examined them and found them to be okay to re-use; but in other manuals ( ACE 750 ) they recommend replacing them. I guess this is another item that I will buy by the dozen next time I am at the dealership.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 pm

I have often re-used these two crush washers - 8mm - cost about $3each - not sure why they can not be re-used and re-used? Who re-uses and have you ever had a problem? My theory on re-use is tat the threads are so long that I will see a leak before I loose the bolt - but not too sure about this. Can you get a substitute crush washer at less cost somewhere? Where? I think the antifreeze drain also uses a crush washer - but different size.
Back to top Go down

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 1:04 pm

This may be a UK/US spec thing but the washers on my 2001 model are flat copper (rather than what I would call a crush washer which I would expect to find on an exhaust system).
It may equally be a terminology thing where in the US a flat copper washer is described as crush due to it's ability to deform a little when under pressure.
Assuming this is a terminology thing,then the reason for renewing is that copper "work hardens" & with repeated use can crack due to the afore mentioned hardening.
The internal & surface stresses caused by "work Hardening" can be relieved by heating the washer/gasket uniformly to bright cherry red & then either plunging into cold water or allowing to fully cool naturally,this will anneal it back to it's original soft condition.
A good way to ensure uniform heating is to lay the washer/gasket on a thin sheet of brass & heat the sheet from underneath,this method was shown to me many years ago by a clockmaker when I was trying to re-use a copper cylinder head gasket on my Triumph Bonneville.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 1:59 pm

The Bern wrote:
This may be a UK/US spec thing but the washers on my 2001 model are flat copper (rather than what I would call a crush washer which I would expect to find on an exhaust system).
The 'crush' washers on my 2003 and 2008 SWings were silver in color and I don't think they were copper under that silver - but I never cut one apart to check in this. The only place that I have encountered a copper washer is under the allen bolt on the bottom of each front fork. I am guessing that Honda used a 'crush' washer on the final drive oil and antifreeze bolts to better seal against fluid loss at low torque values while maintaining bolt tightness; whereas the crush washers elsewhere (exhaust manifold/forks) are copper to deform so that misalignment will not stress the metal that the bolts are threaded into - IMHO.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2011-05-12

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

The washers I have always been given for drain plugs on my Hondas appear to be aluminium and function the same way as a copper one but with no risk of electrolytic reactions on the alloy castings .. I believe they can also be annealed but I'm not sure it's worth it as they are pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Re-use them.No trouble
Back to top Go down

crush washers.
Page 1 of 1