Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda's larger screen

Go down 
+7
marco
john grinsel
Az Kicker
Meldrew
Dimond
cotetoi
GTscootz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-08-09

Honda's larger screen Empty
PostSubject: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 5:46 am

Was lucky enough to be given a larger screen, the one by Honda themselves yesterday.

Fitted it last night, will let you know how I get on with it.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi GT, I just got my Swing last week and it has the regular ( small) screen on. I would be interested in knowing your experience with a bigger screen. I like to bike in the fall ( autumn) and it gets pretty chilly if not downright cold here, and anything to increase the comfort level would help.
Back to top Go down
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Well, its arond 3-4 inches tall with a good rake to send air up and over, also shaped better than the standard to send wind around the sides. I'm 5ft 11 inches and can just see over the to if I choose to, or lean back ever so slightly and I'm sheltered from the breeze.

I rode a two Burger 400s for 12 years and both were fitted with larger screens, one from Givi, the other from Biondi. My only issue really was in the dark when it rained. As its September I'm sure it won't be long before I encounter both of these conditions together, and I'll know if the Honda large screen is better or worse than I had to endure on the Burger400.

I can now ride with my visor down and not suffer the buffeting I did with the standard screen. Next week I'm hoping to ride to Devon, a journey of 300 miles, so that should enable me to report back with a mix of A-roads, dual carriageways and Motorways used
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 pm

The GIVI Airflow is great for moderate temperatures but not as protective as the GIVI tall windshield - but then you will be looking through the windshield all the time and a lot hotter in the summer. I would suggest that you start with the GIVI Airflow and see how it fairs in the fall. With my heated Gerbings gear I can ride in much colder winter temperatures with my GIVI Airflow - so no need to go tall - plus I like NOT looking through a windshield - and all of the air clears my helmet when GIVI Airflow is set in high - I am 5'10".
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 6:02 pm

GTscootz wrote:
Well, its arond 3-4 inches tall with a good rake to send air up and over, also shaped better than the standard to send wind around the sides.  I'm  5ft 11 inches and can just see over the to if I choose to, or lean back ever so slightly and I'm sheltered from the breeze.

I rode a two Burger 400s for 12 years and both were fitted with larger screens, one from Givi, the other from Biondi.  My only issue really was in the dark when it rained.  As its September I'm sure it won't be long before I encounter both of these conditions together, and I'll know if the Honda large screen is better or worse than I had to endure on the Burger400.

I'm 5' 11" too and I fitted a Biondi to my 400 Burgman too. As the screen was a couple of inches too tall and I didn't want to cut it down and risk breaking it, I built up my Airhawk cushion with a couple of layers of camping mat so I was looking over the screen not through it. It worked well especially at night time and in the rain.

My 400 Burgman was a black 05 K6 model on  a Cumbrian PX plate, and I part exchanged in the summer of 2008 for an almost new 650 Burgmam at David Sykes Superbikes in Peterlee, County Durham. I left the Biondi screen and a Givi rack on the 400 and was wondering if you bought that scooter.   Smile
Back to top Go down
Az Kicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Az Kicker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 4:59 am

I use the Givi tall windscreen in the winter and the stock Honda windscreen in the summer. Rain is rarely an issue here, so looking through the windscreen is not a big problem for me at 5'10".

I use the stock windscreen in summer because the Givi blocks too much of the airflow, but I pay for that in increased buffeting and decreased audio performance on my Cardo G9 at higher speeds.

It's still worth the trade-off for additional cooling, but as soon as the temperature falls below 95f I will switch back to the tall screen. Changing back and forth only takes a few minutes, so why not?
Back to top Go down
http://AzKicker.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 am

Having spent some unpleasant miles riding behind the stock screen, my view is you pay for that increased buffeting and wind noise with hearing damage. It's a lot simpler to fit a Givi Airflow once and use it in higher or lower positions as required. Regularly removing and refitting the screen garnish is only going to result in broken tabs sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 7:12 am

I agree with Mildrew--get GIVI adjustable period and look over. SilverWing....buffeting is well controlled....the best and most comfortable deal (and safest as you can see where you are going) Havin purchased 10 new Maxi scooters and 300,000 sometimes big buffeting miles, GIVI adjustable works. Just returned from 16 day, 5960 mile scootertrip----buffeting real pain----Burgman 400/ JUrock 7 shield----the buffeting and having taken wrong helmet took a lot of the trip pleasure away----made me tired, etc.-----it appears OEM designers are not riders----also I think electric up/down windshields are good idea as body/seated height varies from day to day. I have test ridden both BMW scooter and Burgman 650.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 6:08 am

how have you 'modded' your screen meldrew??, Ive judt ordered an airflow , and wondering what youve done exactly before I fit mine.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 am

Keep yer nuts tight!

Seriously, make sure the 10mm nuts on the screen are kept tight. That way the top half won't go fly-about at speed.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 8:57 am

I now have 10K miles on my Silver Wing and have never had a problem with the stock windscreen...! Perhaps I am the "perfect" size for it or perhaps the screen was tweaked on the 2012? Who knows. I ride at temperatures from high 20's (F) to over 100 degrees. Just for reference I am 5'11" about (used to be 6 foot sigh) and have a 32 inch inseam.

Perhaps I just don't own stock in Givi? Sad 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 9:26 am

marco wrote:
how have you 'modded' your screen meldrew??, Ive judt ordered an airflow , and wondering what youve done exactly before I fit mine.
I haven't 'modded' my screen apart from fitting a rain deflector made from a surplus piece of SAENG screen edging between the two locking levers on the lower section.

The retainers that I hastily fitted last year after losing the second top section were removed during that really hot weather in late June.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Meldrew wrote:

I haven't 'modded' my screen apart from fitting a rain deflector made from a surplus piece of SAENG screen edging between the two locking levers on the lower section.

The retainers that I hastily fitted last year after losing the second top section were removed during that really hot weather in late June.
Meldrew, So that I understand this. You have filled-in the space between the struts (and between the windshields) to keep rain from coming up this space and hitting you? We don't get much rain where I live but would like to be ready for it when it comes - or when I go where it rains. Also, are you going to re-fit your retainers to keep from having a 3rd shield fly off? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:21 am

Hmmmm, have discovered the nearside upper lug has snapped - I did try using some modelling glue but it didn't work.
My local DIY store have dozens of various glues so am overwhelmed with choice, however if it takes me 3 attempts to find a glue/resin that works then thats nigh on £20 spent.

Looking at the set up, I'm considering drilling through the front upper panel and using a longer screw/bolt from the front through to the cockpit. Preferably do both sides so it matches, and would use ones that have chrome or plastic caps, such as the ones you find on mirrors and bathroom furniture.

Anybody managed to successfully glues lugs back on, and if so what brand of glue did you use.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I have had some success with the orginal formula JB Weld - available everywhere and not very expensive.  I have used JB Weld on tupperware and metal parts on the SWing.  It has a long set time - about 20 minutes - as compared to most epoxies - and myresearch has indicated that longer set epoxies are a bit stronger.  The really strong epoxies seem to be insanely expensive and hard to get in smaller quantities.  When clearance permits I reinforce with fiberglass woven body work cloth - or single strands of fibeglass cloth when space is a bit tighter.  JBWeld can be sanded, ground, drilled, cut, etc. to make final assembly the shape/thickness desired.   I wait until the next day for full cure with JBWeld - so be patient.  If the windshield lugs have broken you probably have applied too much torque to the fastener - but guessing you know that.  Do not over tighten these fasteners or there likely will be a bunch of lugs to fix.  If you only have one broken lug - guessing that you don't really need it as there are a bunch more - but try to fix it if you can.

Last edited by Dimond on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Will do....and the broken lug is one of the two that hold the upper nose cone on, the piece you have to remove to fit a screen. Plastex was mentioned to me by a classic Jap bike enthusiast, retails over here for around £20.

I know of JB Weld, its around £7, so will try that first
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:30 am

One of two? There's four of those tabs holding the screen garnish on, two upper and two lower. I broke one last year when I was removing or replacing it after trying out a set of rubbish LED pilot bulbs. I had a go at fixing it with superglue then came to the conclusion it wasn't essential and it's likely the majority of Silver Wings on the road will have at least one broken tab if they disturb the screen garnish occasionally.

I'm still curious about this larger Honda screen, it's never been listed in the Honda accessories and if it was there'd be other members on here using one.
Back to top Go down
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:10 am

It's old, came off of a long term test bike from 2002/2003. The rider had had it in his garage since then.
It was readily available back then, a google search led me to an Australian site where I managed to glean enough info to enable me to work out how it fitted. I'll post up some images of it soon

The broken lug is one of the upper two accessed from the riding side as opposed to the lower pair reached from the front.
Back to top Go down
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:32 am

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/attach_show.pl?aid=660

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/attach_show.pl?aid=664

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/attach_show.pl?aid=666

These images are from the forum I mentioned above, the entire thread (from 2007) can be found here:

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1022
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:10 am

I thought that 'other' Silver Wing forum bit the dust earlier this year and nothing really happens when I click on your licks apart from the cover page, there's nothing much of interest on there anyway and I never looked at it much when it was functional. I believe the site owner used to ban anyone that mentioned this forum! Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
GTscootz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 am

That's weird, when I click on the link if pasted in to a email, it takes me to the page. If I click on the link direct from my above post it goes nowhere......perhaps we're all blocked Smile

If pasting in to an email and then clicking doesn't work, I simply googled "large silverwing honda screen" and the relevant post was on the first page, 4 from bottom.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 4:13 pm

I had a 2001 SWing which had the taller Honda screen. I rode through a winter on it and it worked pretty well, except it tented to cause a great big pocket of still air behind it which made my visor & spectacle mist up at slower speeds, same way my previous big ol' Airhead Beemer R80RT screen did. It also wobbled a bit at speed and yes, even at just over 6 foot I was looking through it sometimes, or had it cutting my eyeline in half. I actually don't think Honda make it any more, certainly my local dealer was unable to obtain one. I sold the 201 machine with the screen on when I got my 2010 one with standard screen.
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
jester1020
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Honda's larger screen   Honda's larger screen I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 5:49 am

I didn't want to buy another shield right now and I'm almost 6' but short in the legs and long in the body. (My G Grand mother was Creek. Another reason I like the Swing and not STs!) So I made a windshield extension out of a piece of poly carbon from Home Depot. I laid it on top of the windshield while it stays on the bike and traced it with a sharpie marker. Roughed the size on my table saw and ground the curves on a sander. I drilled two small 1/4 holes in the top of the windshield and made four 1/4 slotted holes in the extension with a dremel tool between two drill holes on each side. (mark the holes off the windshield holes with the sharpie or pencil.) I Mounted the extension on the back side of the windshield with 1/4x 3/4 carriage bolts and wing nuts with washers under the nuts. I used a paint heat gun to put the slight curve in the plex. You can use a torch but stay way back as you bend it with your finger. Set torch on work surface. It works good and is adjustable and no wind as I can look over the top edge. Who cares about pretty but it looks ok and works great for me.

I also made an extension last night for about $5 for the back rest. Two pieces of 1 1/2 flat bar 5" long with four holes 1/4' to match the seat  existing slides. Four 3/8 holes  in each end of the five inch flats. Bolted to the old slide adjusters and as you frenchies say voila'!! I have a nice new backrest, after I spray painted them with primer and black rustoleum I have on hand. I have some nice rubber weather stripping tape on the shelf.  to put over the brackets to finish them off. It sets the seat back about 1 1/2 inches. You can make the flats longer if you like and that will set it back more and then you can slide it forward if you want. You could also drill extra holes for more in the longer bar for more vertical  adjustment. "I love it when a plan comes together." I'm new here and love to make stuff and write letters about it. I hope nobody minds . But if you do ,tough!   Surprised   lol Like the "Predator"I "will not stop!!"

Last edited by jester1020 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspells)
Back to top Go down

Honda's larger screen
Page 1 of 1