Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone here found a mountable compass?

Go down 
+2
hardee41
som2002
6 posters
AuthorMessage
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Anyone here found a mountable compass? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I am looking at mountable compasses that have a handlebar clamp and some with other odd looking clamps, but I don't think there is room on the handlebars with that big black plastic cover Honda put over the bars. Has anyone found a way to professionally mount a compass to their Wings? And I'm not talking using 2-sided tape and just plopping it on the dash somewhere, or drilling into anything that would cause permanent damage. Any success at clamping one somewhere? Did you just ditch the plastic bar cover?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 pm

I was thinking about a compass yesterday. I have a small round/globe one with a pin that is used by hunters/hikers that pins to a jacket or vest. It's diameter is a bit over an inch. I might remove the pin and glue it near the bottom of the windshield. I have one pinned to my bicycle handle-bar bag on my touring bicycle, away from any metal. I see them at all sporting good depts. harley
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:54 pm

I had a little cheap Coleman combination thermometer/compass keychain one that I had on the scooter key, but it was not accurate at all.... Laughing It would give you a different direction each time you looked at it. Eventually the little compass part fell out somewhere in my travels. At first I thought about mounting my Garmin GPS, but the more I thought about it I don't really want to know where I am going. That takes all the fun out of riding and exploring. I got a fold up map in one of the gloveboxes for when I get totally lost. It just would be nice to know what direction home is when I am ready to head back.Cool

Last edited by som2002 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Here's a thread to some of the mod's I did to my scooter. Scroll down until you get to the compass. It lights at night. Shocked 

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4639-my-new-used-silverwing-and-modifications-so-far#49681
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for the response Dennis. Compass looks nice, but you don't go into any detail of what you did to mount it. Did it require drilling?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes, a small hole was drilled for the Stainless Steel hardware. If you mount using carbon steel hardware it will make the compass read incorrectly. Be careful where you mount any magnetic compass.

The hole and hardware is not viewable from the normal seating position. Hole located under the dashboard top ledge and does not go through the top piece.

Mini light bulb uses 12v.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Still looking for a clampable option...
Back to top Go down
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 pm

som2002 wrote:
Still looking for a clampable option...
J&P Cycles sella clamp on compasses. Here's a link to one of them.......
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/730-726
Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:01 am

I found one on Ebay for $12.00 that I almost bought.

I can not copy and paste, so look for Mini motorcycle compass in Honda gold Wing 1800

Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 pm

I would go with DennisB's lead and get the Ritchie Navigation brand, I also like his mounting location.
Looking from the road to the dash mounted compass would be easier for us older folk than trying to change our focus to a rather small target mounted to close to our tired eyes.
If you do go with the Ritchie brand look at the X-10-A. Unlike the other X-10 units the "A" has easier to read declination marks on the dial.

Anyone here found a mountable compass? Ritchi11

Anyone here found a mountable compass? Ritchi12
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 1:40 pm

I just didn't want to have to drill into any of the plastics...and I already know about the bar clamp ones Rich linked to. That is what this post was about, has anyone had success with mounting the bar clamp ones or any other clamp type ones on their scoot?????? Thanks for the replies though, but so far no one has answered what I'm asking.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Here ya go ....

They offer the one Rick linked to plus this one for use on the brake clamp.

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/catalog/product.jsp?pid=17156A73-6123-11DA-89C0-E2BC06AAE9BF&pgid=9C125595-4180-11DE-89FD-EB4723F467F4

Last edited by trouble1100 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi som2002,

If you would like, I can make you a nice custom compass mounting plate for you so you can mount a Ritchie brand between your handlebars. Send me a PM if your interested.

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/

Ritchie has been making compasses for many years and stand by their products.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here found a mountable compass?   Anyone here found a mountable compass? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks, I think I'm gonna try that brake clamp one since no one else seems to have. I'll let you know if it works out.
Back to top Go down

Anyone here found a mountable compass?
Page 1 of 1