Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Guy Here??

Go down 
+3
jdeereanton
JeffR
honda_silver
7 posters
AuthorMessage

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 9:25 pm

I just bought my bike TODAY affraid I just what to know how or what is a good way to break my new bike in??
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 9:42 pm

hooksup2 wrote:
I just bought my bike TODAY affraid I just what to know how or what is a good way to break my new bike in??

Ride it. Razz
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Like Bill (Honda-silver) said, Ride it !!! I think you just shouldn't give it full throttle for about 300 miles. The SWing has a very easy break-in period so just don't race it and you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:52 am

hooksup2,

No question - ride it.

And, welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:50 pm

its all been said just chill out and slowly get used to it at your own pace and enjoy (see i can do sensible)
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 pm

mr fish wrote:
(see i can do sensible)

Just do as he says ... not how he drives the SWing. Razz
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:03 am

A couple of years ago a motorcycle friend with a lot of mechanical knowledge told me that you should do the exact opposite of what the owners manual said re breaking in engines. I thought he had lost the plot until I started to search the Net and found several references to what he suggested. Eg http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm not saying I know anything about the topic and have not tried it one way or another, but thought I would mention it.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:52 am

It all depends on if you want to keep it ,I know a lot of sportsbike riders who thrash from day one because the engine seems to free up and run faster than one thats been run in properly but they only keep them for a year or two .
The mechanics that used to work with me used to say "run it in gently if you want to keep thrash it if you want fast" I personally would suggest run it in as per manual theres plently of time for fast after that Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Break-R in...   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:01 am

This has really opened my mind ... I have always heard the slow break in was necessary... now that link in the motor mag... just the opposite is recommended. Article makes sense, sounds like it is based on good science. I know I would be reluctant to go against "Manufacture Recommends". But the fast break in might be the best way to go. Interesting.... I predict that this is going to be a hot item for a few days. Kinda like the dark side tires debate. Thanks for asking this question Wing guy.
Gary
Back to top Go down

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:01 am

My suggestion (and manual's) is to take it easy for the first 300 ml, basically "avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration". The good news is that you need to get used to the bike anyway and that you'll have 300 ml before you know it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Take it easy for the first few hours, vary the speed often, don't cruise long distances at one speed. Basically follow Honda's recommendation, their engineers probably know something about making their engines last for a long time. Honda mills didn't get a reputation of long service life for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Guy Here?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here??   New Guy Here?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Guy Here??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: