Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...

Go down 
+3
jdeereanton
RArch
gizmoguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gizmoguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-06-23

trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... Empty
PostSubject: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 3:19 am

Ok maybe this is to much for one posting but its sort of all tied together...

I have a 2005 silver wing with towpac trike kit and standard windshield installed.

The trike kit is a hoot and I love the attention it attracts but I did not like the handling while on freeway. The side to side bouncing made the ride uncomfortable and could aggravate the headaches I seem to be having. I am sure if I fiddled with getting it dialed in it would not be a problem but...

So I chose to unhook the trike kit and ride with out it. So nice and smooth... oh and of course pure fun... Wink

one thing I have found about my headaches is that I need to re-learn to how I look at things with my helmet on.  Since I have progressive lens bifocals I think the narrow focus range is causing eye strain. As I ride I use my pheriprial vision rather than moving my head which means I am looking out the edges of my glasses which will not be the correct focal point depending on the angle.
Since its been around 10years since I have ridden consistently and have not ridden a bike since adding bifocals to my collection of almost geezer features I am going to have to adjust accordingly.

The other thing that I am finding is that this weird thing called wind buffeting that I have read about. I have never ridden a bike with a fairing before and figured it would be so peaceful and the stuff I read about buffeting must be ninnys or something... well color me sheepish as I now understand.
a little bit of experimenting on the freeway by changing my head height and placing my hand on the windshield at different angles (anyone behind me would have thought I had ants in my pants and was swatting away imaginary bugs) I discovered that all that air that hits the windshield has to go somewhere. In my case it hits the top third of my very old full face helmet.
With my head being buffeted and attempting to figure out how to look at things thru my glasses my eyes and ears were putting my brain under a strain.

I went ridding with my friend the other day and took the chance to ride his bmw without fairing on the freeway. Wow what a difference. Just normal wind and road noise. No funneling of noise at my head...

So after all the above info I have come to some ideas...
One I'm going to get myself a new helmet and spoil myself by getting one with the fancy drop down sun shade
Another is that I'm going to get my old glasses lenses redone with standard lined bifocals to see if I can use my pheriphrial vision with out issues.
Final idea is to change out the windshield to either taller one or downsize it.

So after all that history info here are my questions for you oh knowledgeable ones...
Should I go big (Gavi solid or adjustable, clearviewshield large), go add on (laminair lip), go minimalist (clearview shield sport) or just remove the windshield completely?

Cheapest is to pull the windshield off and ride it like that but not sure if that is ok. Does windshield hold things together and parts fall off?
I would love to try this to see how it rides.
Next cheapest is the fixed givi shield at around $120 then the givi adjustable or the clearview large.

I look forward to your awe inspiring input

Take care

Mike  <><
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 am

Givi AF214 is the screen most use, try a search on here on the Givi Airflow and I'm sure you will find lots.

If you are in an experimenting mood, has you said try it out with the screen removed. You could then cut the standard screen down a few inches at a time and see how like it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:40 am

gizmoguy wrote:
Ok maybe this is too much for one posting but its sort of all tied together...
<snip>
One thing I have found about my headaches is that I need to re-learn to how I look at things with my helmet on.  Since I have progressive lens bifocals I think the narrow focus range is causing eye strain. As I ride I use my pheriprial vision rather than moving my head which means I am looking out the edges of my glasses which will not be the correct focal point depending on the angle.
<snip>
One I'm going to get myself a new helmet and spoil myself by getting one with the fancy drop down sun shade

Another is that I'm going to get my old glasses lenses redone with standard lined bifocals to see if I can use my pheriphrial vision with out issues.
<snip>
I look forward to your awe inspiring input

Take care

Mike

Mike,

I will only address the issue of bifocals and the helmet.

Without knowing what field of view you are talking about...  You really should turn your head to see what is on your side rather than use your peripheral vision.  The MSF coaches turning the head and it really is the safest way to see what is there.

I ride with progressives and actually didn't encounter all of the foolishness I hear people talk about with bifocals.  I have three focal ranges and have no difficulty with vision while riding.  The largest focal range (top) is ideal for looking down road and side to side.  The mid range is best for gauges and indicators.  Move your head to find the most comfortable ranges, tell your optometrist and they may have some suggestions.  Your helmet may be pushing your glasses down and that can add a complication.  I've had helmets that do that and it is annoying.  A sports strap type of glasses may fix that problem as they fit closer to the temple than a standard pair of glasses.

As to the helmets with drop down shades.  I recognize that Scorpion helmets are pricier than HJC or the like, but they are really well constructed and very well vented.  EX 900 is the modular design.  Will be my next helmet.  Try the various models available for yourself.  It must fit - more important than price.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 10:15 am

I have ridden and driven with vari-focal specs for 30 years or so with no problems.  I agree with the comment that shoulder checks and life savers are better than peripheral vision for safety.
Back to top Go down
gizmoguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 pm

dale and bikerboy:
oh crud I phrased the eyeglasses part not quite right...

when you get progressive lenses they say it will take time ti get used to looking thru the correct location on the glasses.

now I find myself learning the same thing but now with a bowling ball attached to my head.

I agree 100% that I should turn and look before say changing lanes etc. but I keep looking thru the edges of my glasses. same for mirrors.
I think they said something about point your nose or chin where you want to look and it will be easier to focus.

its time for an eye check anyway so I am going to get my peepers verified and have a set of lined bifocals made up with my old frames.

The idea that my helmet may be moving my glasses around is a good thought.  I will pay attention to that and see if I can notice.

Rarch:
will riding the bike with out the windshield installed cause any issues? wasn't sure if it was part of structural integrity of the front.
I am going to pull it off today to see how it rides and just want to be sure. I am probably over thinking to much....

if I take it off should I put the screws back to keep the nuts inside the fairing from falling out? I read that installing a new windshield that they can fall out with a bit to much pressure and would not want to loose them from vibration.

has anyone installed the clearview sport windshield? it looks kind of cool in a minimalist kind of way...

thanks again for all of the input.

mike <><
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 am

Mike,

I've not used the GIVI Air Flow, but since it gives a range of adjustability I'm confident that it would be possible to find a setting that would give you calm air.

I'm 6' 1" (73 inches, 1.86m) tall and I used the stock windscreen with no complaints.  I've ridden with a cut down stock screen that looked like the Clearview Sport screen and it was not that big a deal, just more wind on the chest.

In an ideal world you could purchase the Air Flow to find the best air management for still air and no buffetting and then cut down your stock screen to give you that wild wind in the hair feeling.

I would not ride without something in the windscreen position, but that's just me.  If you remove it completely you might want to put some washers on the screws to give the thickness of the wind screen and then put the screws back in to hold the compresion nuts in place.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:35 pm

I know people ride without wind shields all the time.  I like to have my eyes protected from rocks and stuff that comes off other vehicles etc. when you meet them.  It is in the same catagory as the helmet in my thinking.  Just depends on the amount of "risk" you are willing to take.  I saw a pretty litttle girl riding her m/c with just shorts and a halter.  Yes, she can do it but if something happens she will pay the piper.  People get by with taking risks all the time but usually it will catch up with them.  It is hard on their loved ones when something happens.  I know from experience!  Most of  you know I lost my only son to a m/c accident.  He always wore a helmet but this one time it was hot and the rest is history...They were only going about 20 mph...etc.  Some people seem to get by with more than others.  Guess that is why we are classified as free moral agents.  That doesn't mean we should not use the brain we have!
Back to top Go down
gizmoguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 am

Here is an update...

I pulled the trike kit off for the last month and man I enjoy the silverwing. So nice and smooth... Smile

I went on a weekend trip of 500 miles with the windshield removed.
It felt nice and natural. No buffeting or strange airflow hitting my head.

I took some time and chopped the spare factory windshield down to give me the bike a sporty look.
Went on another weekend ride of around 350 miles. Wind hits me in upper chest just below helmet.
Overall an improvement from tall windshield but not as nice as none.

May remove another inch before my next ride.

All my comments about trike handling are still open but I will deal with those another day and and different topic/post.

Attached is a photo of current windshield setup.

Take care

Mike <><
Back to top Go down
gizmoguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:00 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f72/18/46/29/71/image12.jpg

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:49 am

Your cut down windshield looks nice, but for me i like the tall givi windshield. The givi gives good wind/road debris protection. I remember riding my HD sportster without a windshield. After riding it my ears were screaming for awhile due to the wind noise and a open face helmet.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Try earplugs.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...   trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:42 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Try earplugs.

Cheers,
 Found a better way! Got rid of the bone shaker and got a silver wing with a givi windshield!
Back to top Go down

trike, windshields, bifocals, and headaches oh my...
Page 1 of 1