Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Empty
PostSubject: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Got a pair of 55watt, 4500K, HID kits from DDMTuning for both HI and LO beam. Started putting in the HID H7 Bulb and now have my first issues.

Attached are a couple of photos that show the OEM bulb (left) and HID bulb (right). The center point of the OEM bulb sticks in 1-1/8 inches while the HID Gas Bubble (I am guessing the eliptical bubble is where all the light comes from) sticks in 1" (all measurements to nearest 1/16 inch). So, overall, if I am correct in where the light comes from, the HID bulb LIGHT GENERATING AREA sticks in 1/8 inch LESS that the OEM bulb (even though the overall length of the HID bulb is a bit longer that the OEM bulb) Which IMHO is close enough for all practical purposes. Any comments on this?

Next, the HID bulb shoulder is 1/16 inch while the OEM shoulder is 1/4 inch. The spring retainer that holds in the bulb bears on two points in each side of the buld (180 degrees opposite). On the OEM bulb it bears well on each side -but on the HID (since it is 3/16 inch thinner in the shoulder area) the retaining spring only bears on one side. So, when you grab the bulb base it easily wiggles a bit from side-to-side. I plan to get some type of washer/spacer that is 1/8th to 3/16 inch thick to enable the retaining spring to better hold the HID bulb in position. Any comments?

Thanks in advance! DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Img_4610

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Img_4611
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 10:28 pm

There should have been a spacer that came with the HID bulb that will make up the difference. IIRC the spacer is 'plastic', and maybe doesn't look to be all that important. So you may have mistakenly discarded it.

If worse comes to worse you can always cut that ring with the bumps from the bulb adapter on the OEM bulb. That DDM spacer will be the equivalent of that bumpy ring.

I hope that make sense.

The HID bulb in the high beam will be pretty much useless because the HID bulb takes a bit of time to warm up and reach full brightness. And by that time you'll probably need to dip back to the low beam. So you might want to just mount the low beam HID first and see how that works for you.

That said, the new HID low beam will be so much brighter that once you turn on the OEM high beam it will seem to have about the same brightness as a candle.

Tim
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:57 pm

You know that the standard H7 bulb is stuck in an adapter (the black plastic bit), you may need it wire things up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:50 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The HID bulb in the high beam will be pretty much useless because the HID bulb takes a bit of time to warm up and reach full brightness. And by that time you'll probably need to dip back to the low beam. So you might want to just mount the low beam HID first and see how that works for you.

That said, the new HID low beam will be so much brighter that once you turn on the OEM high beam it will seem to have about the same brightness as a candle.

Tim

I agree with Tim!

I also changed both high and low beam to HID's and replaced the high beam with a 65 watt H7 bulb from Susquehanna MotorSports

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1197
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:58 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
[EDIT] I also changed both high and low beam to HID's and replaced the high beam with a 65 watt H7 bulb from Susquehanna MotorSports

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1197

Ron,

Any negative effects using a high watt bulb in the plastic light housing?

Added Does the 65W H7 'compliment' the HID low beam vs the OEM 55W bulb?

Susquehana's price seems pretty steep compared to some eBay suppliers. Is there a reason you went with them rather that elsewhere?

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun May 26, 2013 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
There should have been a spacer that came with the HID bulb.... .....you can always cut that ring with the bumps from the bulb adapter on the OEM bulb.
Tim

Thanks for the input Tim. Did not get a spacer with my kit - so I cut the ring off of the bulb adapter (vice grips and hacksaw - not much to cut - then filed the ring flat and rounded out the inside). The spacer is just perfect for holding the HID bulk in place (with the retainer spring).

NEXT ISSUE: I have concerns about powering BOTH HIDs with the OEM Honda supply wiring. My Honda OEM wiring is 18awg while the DDM supply to the ballast is 20awg. For peace of mind I am thinking of installing two relays that would be triggered by the OEM power lines going to OEM headlights - this would let me run 16awg power lines to the Hi and the Lo beams - each fused at 10amps. Some kits (not DDM) with 55watt HID are recommened to be installed with a relay - but this may just be a conservative approach. I am mosly concerned with the OEM wiring that runs back to the power source - lots of wire - lots of switches - and lots of harnes - all of which would be difficult to fix IF (?) a problem developed. Any thoughts/comments? Thanks.

FYI - Photos attatached: OEM Bulb Adapter, 'Ring' cut from OEM Bulb adaptor, HID lights installed w/o any sealant, RTV Silicone Sealant to prevent entry of water/dirt at read of bulb.
DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Img_4612

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Img_4613

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Img_4614

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question Img_4615
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Yeah, cutting that adapter is exactly what I meant.

I wouldn't worry too much about needing a relay or heavier wiring. I've been using my DDM HID low beam with the OEM head light wiring & plug for several years with no problem. My buddy, Hammy, has been using both high & low beam DDM HID's for the same amount of time with no ill effects either.

Seems as if the biggest problem we've run into is where to mount the transformer(s), and what to do with all those loose wires.

FWIW you might want to order another OEM bulb adaptor just in case you have to switch back to the standard H7 bulb sometime.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:44 pm

BUMP

Ron, I'm really curious about your 65wt high beam experience

Does the 65W H7 'compliment' the HID low beam vs the OEM 55W bulb?

Susquehana's price seems pretty steep compared to some eBay suppliers. Is there a reason you went with them rather that elsewhere?

Tim
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question   DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:55 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Ron, I'm really curious about your 65wt high beam experience

Does the 65W H7 'compliment' the HID low beam vs the OEM 55W bulb?

Tim

I did this a few years back on my 06. The housing and wiring was not affected and my big concern was the wiring.

The big plus was how well the sides of the road were illuminated by the high beam with the Orsam 65W over the 55W.

As far as the price, Susquehanna has almost doubled the price since I purchased the Orsam bulb

Ron
Back to top Go down

DDMTuning.com H7 HID Bulb Installation Question
Page 1 of 1