Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Why was the Silverwing discontinued in 2013?
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 9:01 am

» Forks bottoming out?
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:24 am

» New old silverwing
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» May 2021 Forum Picture
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» Honda Silverwing OEM service manual deal
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dabutcher Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» Looking for Scooter Photos
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Howardr Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» spongy front brake after multiple bleeds
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» SHAD luggage uk.
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JamieB Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Coolant change
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Salth2ofish Yesterday at 9:39 am

» New to silverwing
Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Salth2ofish Yesterday at 9:26 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another good idea of mine

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2090
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Another good idea of mine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another good idea of mine   Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Tim, if you look above at the post by trouble1100 about 27 posts down from the top you will see the post you are referring to for the parking brake mod. Smile
And as Old Limey said if the parking brake is correctly adjusted you should not be able to move your scooter. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3742
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Another good idea of mine   Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

model28a wrote:
And as Old Limey said if the parking brake is correctly adjusted you should not be able to move your scooter. Smile

Ha!...you are actually assuming that I know how to successfully adjust that PITA parking brake, AND once it is adjusted that it stays that way.

Actually though, on several occasions I've had the PB jam up so that I've had to use a hook (coat hanger wire) to tug at the caliper lever to free it up. I've also "rebuilt" that caliper several times, but that niggling jam problem seems to reoccur at the worst of times.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2090
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Another good idea of mine   Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Cosmic_Jumper, I forgot about your problems with the PB. Mad I guess I would be a little gun shy after the problems you have had. Shocked Rear disks are not cheap. I haven't had any problems with mine other than replacing the pads. And like you said they are very thin. I don't understand why they are thin to begin with.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Another good idea of mine   Another good idea of mine - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 9:50 pm

The pads are thin because if the parking brake is operating properly and used as designed they will last the life of the bike. All they are designed to do is clamp on the rotor to prevent the bike from rolling. They aren't emergency brakes. Normally one would pull the parking brake on solidly so it would be noticeable if one tried to ride off without releasing them. About the only wear on that brake should be stretch in the cable that needs taken up once in awhile.
Back to top Go down

Another good idea of mine
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2