Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 1:02 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby gustav Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I have a big head...

Go down 
+8
DarthJ
Nowun
tarmacburner2
rodenbach
JeffR_
jmaslak
tinman
Gyro
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

I have a big head... Empty
PostSubject: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Shocked Literally!

I've tried on 2XL (xxl) helmets and I cannot even get them over my ears. My head feels like it's in a vise. It looks like I'm going to need a 3XL or 4XL, but I do not want to pay an arm and a leg.

My head measurement is 24" and according to the charts, I only need an XL. Something's not right here, Willis... Rolling Eyes

Rage

On a related note, how good are the HJC CL-Max 2 helmets?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Get your self a half helmet and save your ears with ear plugs. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm thinking a pair of half helmets for local riding, and a pair of full-face helmets for the serious riding. I'd like to get helmet intercoms but haven't figured out if they need a bluetooth phone to work as intercoms. scratch

I have no interest in receiving or placing phone calls while riding. I hate it when drivers do it in cars & I'm sure as hell not going to start doing it on a trike.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 8:55 pm

The wife and I have a ZOX model KABA with a full face flip visor The helmet cover the ears and A Scala Rider Team Set wireless Intercom System .You can also connect a MP3 player that works well.the music stops when one is speaking.The helmet a cheap one and DOT approved $60..matches the silver colour part of my 09 swing.The intercom cost about $200.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Helmets come in different head shapes (different manufacturers and sometimes different models have different shapes). Not every helmet (even if it is what the manufacturer says is the right size) will fit every head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I use my phone to play music and podcasts to my bluetooth helmet. It works remarkably well.

I never intended to take phone calls on it but while listening to music if someone calls and you hit the button on the side of the helmet, BAM you are talking to them.

Interestingly the person I was talking to had no idea I was talking to them while riding at 50mph. The technology is pretty amazing. It wasn't very expensive at all, so shop around!

I've never tried the intercom feature, but I doubt you'd need a cell phone to communicate between two helmets.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 pm

I used a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor. I really like the visor on it and is very handy, it flips up inside the helmet and protects it when it is packed away in the top case or under the seat. I also always wear ear plugs too for comfort and also my hearing trouble. Tell us what you get when you get them.

Here is what I have: scorpion 100

http://www.cyclegear.com/motorcycle/Scorpion-Exo-100-Helmet
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:31 am

@Gyro:
I have the similar problem. my head circumference is 62cm (24.4"), and I also have a 'long' head, so finding a helmet is a 'big' problem. If I do manage to find a helmet that fits around my crane, then it often doesn't fit around the chin area.

I've read that many helmet manufacturers use the same size outer shell for all their different sizes, using different, (read: less) padding in the L and XL sizes. (I believe this makes an XL less protective than a Small size...)

What I have learned over the years is that trying different brands of helmets is the only sollution. Some fit better than others, some don't fit at all, even though they're all the same 'size' on the box.

I now have a Caberg, before had Shoei and AGV. But you have to try them on, because even different models of the same brand don't always fit...
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:43 am

Intercoms wont need phones. I use the Cellularline Interphone F5 and it is great for bike2bike comms so will be fine for rider / pillion communication.
It is probably known as Blueant in the US.

Why a half helmet for local riding? People still have accidents when close to home. Full face or flip-front if you can find one to fit would be far safer. You only have one brain so it is worth protecting it as best you can.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Why a half helmet for local riding?

I agree TMB. Stats for the UK show most accidents happen within a couple of miles of home, either leaving or returning. It is the time when you either start to relax and lose concentration at the end of a journey - or have not 'switched on' properly at the beginning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't know if my head swells up or what, but if I wear my full helmet on warm days it eventually feels like it is squeezing my cheeks into my skull.

Granted I have some pretty chubby cheeks, but if it's cold I can wear it for hours with no issues.

When it warms up I switch to the half helmet with the flip down shield, and a set of bluetooth headphones that I recently discovered that work incredibly well.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Gyro, might be the shape of your head that's the issue. If your head is more round and the helmet is more oval, that would be a problem.

The bluetooth systems don't need a phone to work as intercom, but that does make the long rides more pleasant with music.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 12:23 am

I found the best way to find the best fit for your head is to try on different brands and different sizes. Leave the helmet on for 15-20 minutes to make sure it is comfortable. Should be snug but comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks for all the advice! sunny

We are going helmet shopping in Joplin, Mo today. I've already tried on all the helmets at the two local cycle dealers here.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Gyro,

Do you have a "Cycle Gear" in your area? They seem to have a good selection and at good prices too.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm

No Cycle Gear store. Sad We found a couple of half helmets that will have to do for now. Wanda is as hard to fit for a leather jacket as I am to fit for a helmet. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Next time you are in KC or Tulsa, check out Cycle Gear, they do have a pretty good selection.

You may want to check out the modular style helmets where the whole front flips up.
Back to top Go down
davidparker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 am

I have found that full face helmets are very tight on my cheeks. I bought one that fit the top of my head and then removed the foam around the cheeks. Much better! I'm sure they design the jaw area to fit snugly and provide additional protection. But most men over 50 have a much fuller face, than when they were 20. Wink
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:23 pm

[quote="davidparker". But most men over 50 have a much fuller face, than when they were 20. Wink [/quote]

Which is a polite way of saying we are fat bastards! Laughing
At least my helmets fit me.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Maybe that's why those naff brain bucket half helmets are popular in the US, men of a certain age just can't stuff their hog jowls into a full face helmet. I just thought they wanted to look bad a**! Wink
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 pm

What's up, you hardly see any UK or European riders wearing those silly half helmets as very few are road legal for use in the EC. Helmets are compulsory and it's no big deal finding a helmet to fit and suit your riding style.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Maybe that's why those naff brain bucket half helmets are popular in the US, men of a certain age just can't stuff their hog jowls into a full face helmet. I just thought they wanted to look bad a**! Wink

Can't look bad-a$$ed on a motor scooter. Nope, not in the cards... Laughing

Me? I've just got a big, round "Charlie Brown" head.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I use up about 2 helmets a year and always try to wear fresh one, assuming new might offer better protection.

Full Helmets have never worked real well for me----killed deer with BMW "GolfBall" Schburt in Switzerland 1990---extreme weight caused/causes some neck problems to this day---that full helmet may have restriced vision on side as I saw first, second I missed as they jumped from ledge. Bike did not go down, center stand skinned him. They really have a lot of body fluids---both puke and poop--which covered me.

In US best bet is Arthur Fulmer, sold only by dealers, priced right,fit right, I find fine for all day riding with ear plugs. DOT standard fine for me.

Since the end of real US made Bell Shorty (30 years ago?) I find the half helmets available in US=junk

As somebody said above they are not popular in Europe where you can still go really fast in some places-----they tend to choke you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Well, since you are in Kansas, you aren't required to wear a helmet at all if you are over the age of 17.

It was interesting when I was working in Kansas City I actually saw bikers take their helmets off as they crossed the bridge from Missouri into Kansas, without even stopping.

In the US there are 31 states where you aren't required to wear a helmet so long as you are 21 years old or older. What kills me if most of them have seat belt laws. What a world.

Last edited by DuggleBogey on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:49 pm

An interesting diagram showing areas of a helmet that receive the most damage in a crash ..

I have a big head... Impact10

(sorry it's a bit small)

(Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Dept. of Traffic Accident Research, Germany.)
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Found the diagram here - http://bmwdean.com/swisher.htm
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 7:33 am

Another interesting article showing the same diagram here.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Helmets.html

Cheers,

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:07 am

I appreciate that you're trying to point out that full helmets are safer than half helmets.

Thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have a big head...   I have a big head... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have a big head...
Page 1 of 1