Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum


 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Parting Out An 09 - Lots of Good Parts
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby Dabutcher Yesterday at 10:13 am

» Butt got itchy... Bought another Silverwing
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:06 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:39 pm

» Hi there guys
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:47 am

» New to Me Swing
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 pm

» Rear shock longevity
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 

 

 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 49
Location : Eastern Washington
Points : 4101
Registration date : 2013-04-05

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 am

for those that don't check the welcome page
https://www.silverwing600.com/t6053-hi-from-wa-state
1- yellow light on l side of dash came on, my understanding is this monitors the belt or the plates in CVT?
2- guy I bought from had to change plugs to get it to start(had been sitting and only doing short hops), evenafter 10 min test drive it wouldn't idle, seems like it stops firing on one cylinder first then dies(I know there is an idle adjust, my plan is to raise that to keep it running and put at least one tank of fresh gas through it before freaking out).
WOULD it hurt anything to run Seafoam in couple tanks?
3-parking break, owners manual says I should feel 3 cliks when I pull it out, I only feel 1 and seems like fairly hard pull to get wheel to point where I can't move it with my toe.
The rear disk also has some scoring.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_


Number of posts : 1103
Age : 64
Location : Bay Area, Ca
Points : 8861
Registration date : 2010-05-12

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Stanly,

For the Belt Light: (go down about 10 posts or so)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3070-v-light-finely-came-on?highlight=belt+light

For the idle:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4646-idle-speed-adjustment?highlight=idle+adjustment

I have never used seafoam in my bike but others have with good success. I happen to live in a very nice climate, the S.F. bay area, so I don't need to use seafoam. I would clean your air filter though if it is running rough. The air cleaner should be replaced or cleaned about every 8,000 miles (depending on how dirty the roads are where you are riding)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t56-air-filter-pictorial

https://www.silverwing600.com/t22-spark-plug-removal-and-replacement-pictorial

Hope these help.



Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 1298
Age : 75
Location : Matheson, Ontario, Canada
Points : 5916
Registration date : 2011-11-29

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm

If you have 1 clic for parking brake ,Loosen the parking brake jam nut and loosen the center adjusting bolt counter clockwise .the wheel should turn freely .Replace rear disk if badly scored ,check brake pads on both callipers .
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 49
Location : Eastern Washington
Points : 4101
Registration date : 2013-04-05

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 6:51 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Stanly,

For the Belt Light: (go down about 10 posts or so)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3070-v-light-finely-came-on?highlight=belt+light

think you're suggesting I reset the light and see if it comes on again? (the 8,600miles part)

JeffR_ wrote:

For the idle:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4646-idle-speed-adjustment?highlight=idle+adjustment

I have never used seafoam in my bike but others have with good success. I happen to live in a very nice climate, the S.F. bay area, so I don't need to use seafoam. I would clean your air filter though if it is running rough. The air cleaner should be replaced or cleaned about every 8,000 miles (depending on how dirty the roads are where you are riding)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t56-air-filter-pictorial

https://www.silverwing600.com/t22-spark-plug-removal-and-replacement-pictorial

Hope these help.

good to know that Seafoam won't hurt anything and I'll certainly check the air filter.

thx
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 49
Location : Eastern Washington
Points : 4101
Registration date : 2013-04-05

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 pm

pics from the ad:
you can't really see it, but I'll be looking for a new heat shield for muffler
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW 02_sil103 mech problems with new-to-me SW 02_hon10[i]
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 65
Location : Norfolk, VA
Points : 4126
Registration date : 2013-03-14

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm

If mine is any indication on the VMatic light, it probably will come back on. Mine did a lot, after taking things apart, talking to my Honda mechanic, etc, it still kept coming on in certain situations.

I replaced the belt at 12K miles, ahead of schedule, I got tired of seeing the light and worrying about it. Even with the new belt, it still comes on. Apprently, if the engine rpms and your speed are a little out of certain parameters (in my case, usually accelereating up a ramp onto the Interstate), the light kicks on. At least it doesn't come on as often now. I also have a RAM cupholder I position in front of the light until I can get to a stopping point to reset it. It keeps me from obsessing over it.
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 65
Location : Norfolk, VA
Points : 4126
Registration date : 2013-03-14

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Oops, forgot to add I used Seafoam in mine, and it worked great. My engine ran much smoother afterward. I'll do it again before too long.
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 49
Location : Eastern Washington
Points : 4101
Registration date : 2013-04-05

3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

RamblinRedhead wrote:
If mine is any indication on the VMatic light, it probably will come back on. Mine did a lot, after taking things apart, talking to my Honda mechanic, etc, it still kept coming on in certain situations.

I replaced the belt at 12K miles, ahead of schedule, I got tired of seeing the light and worrying about it. Even with the new belt, it still comes on. Apprently, if the engine rpms and your speed are a little out of certain parameters (in my case, usually accelereating up a ramp onto the Interstate), the light kicks on. At least it doesn't come on as often now. I also have a RAM cupholder I position in front of the light until I can get to a stopping point to reset it. It keeps me from obsessing over it.

"boy who cried wolf" warning light. Obviously Honda mech. hoped the belt change might cure the prob., did he have other tips or an expanded explanation of what is going on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





3 mech problems with new-to-me SW Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 mech problems with new-to-me SW   3 mech problems with new-to-me SW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
3 mech problems with new-to-me SW
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Lower fairing wind deflectors for 05 s.wing where to purchase them can not find a set
» problems to look for
» Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?
» A few front end problems
» locks problems

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: