Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wheel Pitting

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Timewarp_1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Several years ago I purchased an 04 Silverwing. The previous owner had put into the tires Ride On. The Ride On has caused the wheels to corrode and pit on the inside and has caused the tires to have slow leaks. I was able to sand the slight rusting off of the inside of the wheel, however is there a way to stop the pitting or is there a way to repair the pitting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 pm

I would do a ruff sanding with coarse sand paper then apply a clear coat rock guard protection on the inside of the rim.This works great to seal a MC spoke rim in order to instal a tubeless tire. The air contact to the rim can cause some pitting.Then install tire balancing ceramic beads 2 once pack.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 am

Sorry to hear but are you sure it was the Ride-On product as they state it does not cause corrosion. (I've got it in mine silent )

http://www.ride-on-uk.com/cms.php?id_cms=9

Q: Does Ride-On Tyre Protection System react chemically with the tyres or wheels?

A: No. Ride-On (TPS) tyre sealant is chemically inert, and will not attack the tyre or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains corrosion inhibitors that protect steel and aluminum wheels and tyre belts against corrosion. Ride-On (TPS) tyre sealant can be easily washed out of tyres with water. It will not affect the future use of patches or other tyre repairs if necessary. Ride-On (TPS) will actually help preserve the tyre casing, making retreads more effective.

I hope Tinmans suggestion works for you.

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 am

I use ride on=no problems. Two reasons I have no trouble (if it could come) #1 my tires/rims are opened up at least twice a year with tire changes as I ride a lot

#2 I deal only with new scooters, so know their history

And #3 I do own tire work and can look in mirror to see the person who screwed it up-----rather than some pick up driving mech in dealership.

Pitting on inside of rim----does it hurt anything?? Probably not as long was sealing surface on rim ok

And last-----tires get old from sitting around-----more than 3 yrs old I would throw out
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 am

It's more likely a rim defect in the casting. When buying used no one no's what the previous owner did to the rim.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 am

It's more likely a rim defect in the casting. When buying used no one no's what the previous owner did to the rim.
Back to top Go down
pjas1969
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm

I repair alloy wheels on cars, and tbh most of the porosity that causes air pressure loss is due either to corrosion occuring inside the rim where the bead of the tyre seals against the wheel, or from the valve core not being tightened properly when a new tyre has been fitted.

I've used such puncture sealants before, and in all honesty, it coats the treaded area of the tyre, and keeps well away from the sidewall and the wheel itself.

HTH,

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.carwizard.ltd.uk
Sponsored content

Wheel Pitting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Pitting   Wheel Pitting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel Pitting
Page 1 of 1