Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Significant gain in mpg's

Go down 
+13
thomphoto
MikeO
tankyuong
Cosmic_Jumper
DennisB
Hammy
Bernardo
Ghost_rider
ronjr009
honda_silver
JeffR
dickie
masscoot
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Significant gain in mpg's Empty
PostSubject: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am

I know there are already tons of threads discussing this but I thought it throw it out there. I remember someone posted they were getting close to 60mpg and thought wow that would be great but how realistic is that? As of yesterday, I got 57 mpg and a range of 177 miles before I chickened out (flashing last bar) and filled the tank with 3.1 gals.

Ok its only been two tankfuls, but my mpgs have soared since installing my K&N air filter and my new spark plugs. The first tankful netted 52mpg. Before this I would average 46-50mpg consistantly. Both rides were at rural road speeds (40-50 mph) and some highway (60-70mph).

I can't wait to install the Dr. Pulley Sliders and compare (+/-) the benefits or pitfalls.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I checked my mileage today as well. 176.5 miles and 3.2 gallons. Somewhere around 70 miles of that was yesterday riding 2 up at a very casual pace. Today I rode by myself to Fredericksburg Motorsports which is 52 miles one way. 55 mpg. I'm pretty sure I couldn't duplicate this very often as this tank of gas was consumed riding at a very leisurely pace. Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:20 am

Did you replace the plugs because they had a lot of miles on them, or are the iridium plugs really THAT good?

My low was 49 mpg, and high was 54. I'm usually at 52 or 53. I rode pretty hard to get down to 49.

I do find that premium gas increases the fuel economy measurably. Not enough to pay for the extra cost, but it does offset it a bit. I find that the engine sounds a little happier on premium, so I use it regardless of the cost. It's only an extra 50 cents per tank or so anyway.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:50 am

[quote="mickey"]Did you replace the plugs because they had a lot of miles on them, or are the iridium plugs really THAT good?

My low was 49 mpg, and high was 54. I'm usually at 52 or 53. I rode pretty hard to get down to 49. [quote]

Mickey, I can't say for sure. What I do know is that I was long overdue for a fresh air cleaner. The spark plugs have been replaced every 8K miles per the maint. schedule. The improved air flow has more to do with the better milage than the spark plugs. My scoot was sluggish getting mid to high 40's mpg wise and needed some fresh parts. I have never reached 53 nevermind 57mpg and wanted to report it. I ride mostly for recreation and leisure (mostly in the 35-55mph) range. I will keep tracking my mpgs over the next month and report back, I'm sure my mpg's will settle back to the mid 50's which to me is a great improvement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 8:45 am

I enjoy riding my SW hard, and I am not concerned that my mpg drops from the normal 50 to about 47. It is well worth the price to not have to ride like a little old lady. The only real change from stock that I have made is t he J. Costa variator, which did not seem to affect mileage at all, and to be honest, did not seem to affect performance enough to justify to myself the total $350 I spent for it with installation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:02 am

I had my first measured MPG yesterday and it was 50.9. That was with a lot of speed variation and a lot of starts and stops. And I can't say I was easy on the bike but wasn't doing WOT's at all. Just smart get-a-ways from stop signs and lights. It was my second tank of gas. 87 Octane. My first tank was premium (93) only because the dealer sales guy said they recommend premium on the first tank. Didn't notice any performance difference between the two grades.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 am

My first tank of gas came with the bike and I seriously doubt that dealer would spend extra $0.80 to fill it up with premium. I might try premium though.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 11:09 pm

If I ride hard I will get about 40-42 mpg, but that is riding 85+ all the time. If I ride conservative I can get low 50's so that is ok with me. But I expect to get the Power Commander for my birthday next month so I should get about 5 mpg or more then. Hopefully.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 am

JeffR wrote:
If I ride hard I will get about 40-42 mpg, but that is riding 85+ all the time. If I ride conservative I can get low 50's so that is ok with me. But I expect to get the Power Commander for my birthday next month so I should get about 5 mpg or more then. Hopefully.

When I did the custom map, Johnny Cheese kept saying that the upper RPMs were "very fat" with fuel and sounds like a lot of adjustment.

You may have to get a custom map to get the benefit of riding at 85+ ... but experiment first with the European Stock Map first.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Bill,

Wow! Your Power Commander map from Johnny Cheese made a significant improvement in my fuel mileage! My Previous best before the new map was 48.5 MPG with conservative riding ranging from between 45-60 MPH. I ran a tank yesterday with your map at 55 MPG. Here is the kicker! It included about 20 miles of riding at 55 from Maryville, TN to The Dragon's tail (U.S. 129) and then about 25 miles of all out riding with full acceleration through all 300+ curves both down the dragon and back. I then continued on to the Foothills parkway riding about 50 mph into Townsend, TN and then headed into Pigeon Forge and Sevierville where the traffic was stop and go with a bit of idling time. I knew I was doing much better since the fuel bars were not going down so fast but I wasn't quite sure how well till I broke out the calculator at the gas station. I'll bet I could have squeezed 57-58 MPG without the Dragon Run. In any case, I am very pleased. This map is really a HUGE improvement for my Swing. Tell Johnny good job on the MAP!!!! I do need to check the RPM's at idle again. It seemed a little low at times be it ever so slightly after starting up the bike. This was true even after the engine was shut down and restarted after the bike was fully warm. I put it on the laptop today and it dipped at times into the high 1100 to low 1200 range. After a little more observation, if this continues to be the case, I may go back in and tweak the numbers by 1 point to try and bring the idle up to a consistent 1300. Typically, my Swing has always idled between 1250-1350 according to the Power Commander software. On a side note... This was the first time I've had the Swing on the dragon. I've had the Helix on it many times. It is nice to be able to jump off the corners with a little more gusto! I'll tell ya what, the Swing is definitely not a sportsbike..... BUT....... It is quite a capable little machine in the twisties. Every Harley, cruiser, & Goldwing held me up as well as some guy in a Porsche. The one crotch rocket that was riding my tail would have had to be very choosy about passing me but as it was.... I slid to the right, slowed down and waved him by. I noticed that they are paving a lot of the pull-offs up on the dragon now. Hopefully, this will encourage others to be a little more courteous and consider pulling off in the event that they are holding up several bikes. In the past, I could definitely understand not wanting to have to get off in the gravel as this is dangerous in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 am

ronjr009 wrote:
Wow! Your Power Commander map from Johnny Cheese made a significant improvement in my fuel mileage! My Previous best before the new map was 48.5 MPG with conservative riding ranging from between 45-60 MPH.

Was your 48.5 with or without the Power Commander??
If it was with the Power Commander which map were you using before.

Did you hear the difference with the new map?
Did you feel the responsiveness of the throttle with the new map?

I am thinking of switching just the 0% throttle up to say 3-4K RPMs from the European Stock and retest. I would like to regain a little more engine compression for braking.

quote="ronjr009"] It included about 20 miles of riding at 55 from
Maryville, TN to The Dragon's tail (U.S. 129) and then about 25 miles
of all out riding with full acceleration through all 300+ curves both
down the dragon and back.[/quote]

Where is the killboy.com picture??

ronjr009 wrote:
In any case, I am very
pleased. This map is really a HUGE improvement for my Swing. Tell
Johnny good job on the MAP!!!!

I will.

I am seriously scheduling another time to map the higher RPMs ... just in case I ever try to keep up with JeffR. Razz
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Bill,

1. The Previous best of 48.5 was with the power commander. When I first bought the bike back in February, I was getting about 34 MPG on the interstate and low 40's around town. I bought a power commander to see how it would work and it didn't seem to help much. The first big thing that made a world of difference was putting on a new air filter. I picked up about 5 MPG with this. I switched from stock to K&N. However, the stock filter was so dirty that I suspect even an O.E.M. replacement would have helped almost as much. Next, Bernardo suggested trying the Euro Map which I did. It certainly didn't hurt anything, but I couldn't see a noticeable improvement until I used your Johnny Cheese map.

2. I can't say that I heard a different sound other than a slightly reduced rumble due to decrease in RPM at idle. I wouldn't say it is any throatier or any thing like that. There is certainly no loss in performance in terms of acceleration and if anything it is better although I can't quantify it with numbers. But one thing for sure, no one can argue with the fuel increase as that was very dramatic!

3. Good question on the photos. I just check. Killboy.com is still uploading theirs. US129 photo apparently must have packed up early as they didn't have me on their list. I noticed a blue silverwing with a guy from Florida on the photos who was at Deal's Gap Resort when I arrived so I must have just missed them. Hopefully, I will be on Killboy. I got their later in the afternoon around 3:30 give or take so I will probably be later in the session.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 3:29 pm

I am about to purchase an 02 Swilverwing. I am most interested in mpg help, but these power commanders seem to state 04-08. Is there anyone who has put one on an earlier than 04 model? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 5:03 pm

flaboye wrote:
I am about to purchase an 02 Swilverwing. I am most interested in mpg help, but these power commanders seem to state 04-08. Is there anyone who has put one on an earlier than 04 model? Thanks!

Dan Spevack 2003 Scootzilla ( http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=28177#pid28177 )
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Flaboye,

Mine is an 03'. I've had no problems with it at all. I think the same is also true for Bernardo is well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi ronjr, so you just bought the one that's marked 04-08 and it went right on, nevermind the fact they don't mention the 02-03 ?

I'm getting a SW this coming thursday, yay! I have a reflex which I love, but going to get this to have a little more scoot.

Is it ok if I ask on here for the map files, etc once I but the unit?

thanks!

Joe
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Now my turn to brag lol i rode with
a lady that rides a kympco 500. I filled
the tank up that morning and we
heasded out of houston to columbus
tx.52 miles on i 10. We were doing a
60 real mph. From columbus we
took alot of backroads back home
where there was hardly any traffic.
Anyway i wanted to ride slow
back home so we were doing
anywhere from 40 to 55. NO
gunning it just a steady holding of
the throttle. Finally the lady
had to get gas that was at the
half way point for her or more.
I had only used maaybe 1 1/4
gallons maybe. So anway we
finally made it back home and i
told becky my gas light just
started flashing. I got to a gas
station and filled it up to 3.34
gallons used. So i had one gallon
left. That ride was 190 miles
round trip and i figured it
came to 58 mpg. I can not
complain about that. There has
been times that i have gotten
45 but that was ging 75+ mph
So here is how it works if you
ride steadily at 60 mpg and
NOT gunning it at all you will
get a a long distance about 55 or
58 mpgs. Usaully m city riding
gets around 45 or so
I ike the sow rides anyway cuz
then yo can take in all the
scenery around you without
having to be in a rush all the
time.. I would rather go on slow
rides more often without no
pressure from other cars
behind you.
Ghost rider Greg
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Greg,

That is good mpg's. I just filled up after doing about 80% at 65 mpg actual and the rest about 50-55 mph actual and averaged 49 mpg. That is pretty good for me and the SWing does get good mileage when not gunning it but it sure can eat the gas when doing WOT and going fast. I did one tank recently doing 80-90 actual for the entire tank and only got 38 mpg. I just decided to have some fun for a tank.

Do you know what your friend got on her Xciting 500? I hear they get about the same as the SWing.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 7:44 am

Hi flaboye,

Yes, the 04-08 will work on an 02-03. I don't know why they specify for only 2004 and higher, but Bernardo and I have had no problems with mine whatsoever. Bernardo has also had good luck with his as well. Keep in mind that I did not notice any improvements though until I installed the custom map that Johnny Cheese made for Honda Silver. Until that, I couldn't see any improvement from the power commander's factory maps.
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 11:04 am

Well i posted this the other day and it
was removed???? don't know why
I have gotten 58 mpg on a slow
ride with a constant 40 to 60 on mph
on backroads. Fill up that morning
last week and metup with a lady and
she had her kympco 500. So we
haeded out on i 10 to columbus tx.
by the time we got to the half
way point of the ride she needed
toget gas. I was still good at full. ort
did not register on the fuel
gauge. Anyway from columbus
we took alot of backroads with
scenery and we were going
anywhere from 40 to 55 real mph
It was a perfect ride not many
cars around us so we were able
to take our time. Anyway we
returned home and i had to fill
up cuz the light started flashing.
So i filled it up to 3.34 gallons
used. That ride was a 190 mile
round trip ride and it comes out
to 58 mpgs. IF you keep below
a real 60 mph you will get
higher fuel mileage. Without
gunning it at all
Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx usa
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

PostSubject: fuel mileage   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 11:10 am

[quote="Ghost_rider"]Well i posted this the other day and it
was removed???? don't know why
ride with a constant 40 to 60 on mph
on backroads. Fill up that morning
last week and metup with a lady and
she had her kympco 500. So we
haeded out on i 10 to columbus tx.
by the time we got to the half
way point of the ride she needed
toget gas. I was still good at full. ort
did not register on the fuel
gauge. Anyway from columbus
we took alot of backroads with
scenery and we were going
anywhere from 40 to 55 real mph
It was a perfect ride not many
cars around us so we were able
to take our time. Anyway we
returned home and i had to fill
up cuz the light started flashing.
So i filled it up to 3.34 gallons
used. That ride was a 190 mile
round trip ride and it comes out
to 58 mpgs. IF you keep below
a real 60 mph you will get
higher fuel mileage. Without
gunning it at all
Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx usa[/quote
soory about this post the other one
was removed and
now it is back on there. sorry about
that
Greg

]
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am

JeffR wrote:
Greg,

That is good mpg's. I just filled up after doing about 80% at 65 mpg actual and the rest about 50-55 mph actual and averaged 49 mpg. That is pretty good for me and the SWing does get good mileage when not gunning it but it sure can eat the gas when doing WOT and going fast. I did one tank recently doing 80-90 actual for the entire tank and only got 38 mpg. I just decided to have some fun for a tank.

Do you know what your friend got on her Xciting 500? I hear they get about the same as the SWing.
Sorry
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 11:18 am

Greg,

Are you sure it was removed? I see you have a post just like the above, that was posted on Jun 22nd. I then replied with asking about your friends Xciting 500. I still see that post, so is that the same post you think was removed? I'm not sure I ever deleted a post yet. And I know I didn't delete your post so please check to see if you still see first post. Thanks, and sorry if it disappeared somehow.
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 am

UHG this darn thing sory about all the
posts. Jeff no i do not know what
beckys gas mileage was on her
kympco 500. BUT that bike only
holds 3 gallons of fuel. IF i remember
right she does not like to go below
haalftank. Don't ask me why.
Again sorry about all the posts i made
on here in this fuel mileage
section. This site is not the best when
i have msntv and the dsl hooked
up to it.
Ghost rider Greg
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Ghost_rider wrote:
ride with a constant 40 to 60 on mph on backroads.

This past weekend I had to fillup travel up I-35 to Waco, Texas and then return with the same tank.

The normal travelling speed was constant 65 MPH with some bursts up to 70 MPH ... a quick estimate says that I got around 58 MPG.

This was riding with my Clearview Xl, Givi E-52 and two-up riding 50% of the time.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 2:42 pm

flaboye wrote:

Yep Mine is an 03.... No problems with the power commander, or anything else for that matter....

Unless of course you count spending spending loads of money on performance enhancements as a problem!!! But seriously all has been well.... You can read up on my posts on the fourm here.....
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 2:44 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Ghost_rider wrote:
ride with a constant 40 to 60 on mph on backroads.

This past weekend I had to fillup travel up I-35 to Waco, Texas and then return with the same tank.

The normal travelling speed was constant 65 MPH with some bursts up to 70 MPH ... a quick estimate says that I got around 58 MPG.

This was riding with my Clearview Xl, Givi E-52 and two-up riding 50% of the time.

Hi Bill,

How did you get on with my power commander maps?

If anyone wants to try mine then PM me, and I'll send a copy. By the way mine is at least 25% leaner than the stock map.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Update for me:
1 month and 5 tanks later still getting solid 57mpg. Topping off the tank (immediatly when the last bar begins to flash) consistantly needs 3.1 US gallons to fill (letting the pump stop the fill). Trip odometer indicates 177 miles when the last bar begins to flash. If the reserve is approx 1 gallon that would put the 1 tank range in the vecinity 220-230 miles.

** your results may/will vary. The average speed for this test 45 mph, sometimes faster Laughing sometimes slower Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:08 pm

I am only getting about 145 - 150 ml per fill up (3.2 gal). My SW is still new Smile , I hope mileage will improve later. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:28 pm

No worries Miro,

You should begin to see better milage after the break-in period. Remember to do the 1st oil change @ 600 miles, it is an important one. Your average (by the sound of it your first tankful!) milage is 46 mpg although on the low side not unexpected for such a youthful Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks, masscoot. I am at 576ml and will be doing my first oil change in a few days. I already bought oil, filter, and oil filter socket. My friend just purchased fancy (read expensive) digital torques wrench and letting me use it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 8:50 am

Wow guys, I am thoroughly flabbergasted at the mpg you're getting. I'm getting HORRIBLE mileage and I want to know how to improve it. I'm on a trip that's right now got me in Chicago but I was also on the Tail of the Dragon on Monday. I've got huge CL-850 touring saddlebags and a seatbag on my Swing, and an extra large Givi windshield. I just recently bought my Swing in June and have put 5000 miles on it so far.

What concerns me is that with my setup, running 72-75mph for a whole tank netted me 31.5mpg. So far this whole trip, my mpg has been roughly around 31mpg riding about 5-10mph above the speed limit. When I was riding at about 60-65mph, my mpg was about 40.

What can I do to improve my mpg? I thought my new K&N air filters (put on at a shop) and Pirelli Diablos (both at 40psi) would improve, but I'm getting absolutely terrible MPG -- even my buddy's giant Can-AM touring Spyder gets better mpg than me...

PLEASE HELP! It sounds like a power commander will help me. I've got no problems with the power and speed and response on my Swing (I love it!) but if my mileage is so poor, I can't really use my Swing to tour, and that's very troubling... Will new spark plugs help my mileage? I bought the bike used and the only new things I've added was an oil change and the K&N air filters (put on by the shop).

(BTW, I saw 2 Silverwings with either towpacs or Danson trike kits at the TOD! I love seeing other Swings on the road!!!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 am

Hi Hammy,

New spark plugs are always a good thing.

How many miles does your scooter have on it? What I'm thinking is you might be getting to much belt slipage. Could be a sign of a worn belt or clutch slipage.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 am

I bought in in June with 5900miles on it. I'm right now at 11,100 miles. Have been on this ride http://www.meetup.com/phila-moto/boards/thread/9434598 since Saturday which is the Swing's first tour. I'm not very mechanical (BTW your mount is working GREAT!!!) but I do want my Swing to get better mpg.

Belt slippage -- how do I fix that or is that a dealer thing?
New plug -- can I do that myself or do I need a special tool and gauge, etc.
Clutch slippage -- um... I have a clutch?

All I know how to do is to ride the bike - all the other stuff, I depend on way smarter people like all of you to help! THANKS!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 am

Hammy,

Here is a Pictorial for the spark plug:

https://www.silverwing600.com/pictorials-how-to-perform-maintenance-f21/spark-plug-removal-and-replacement-pictorial-t22.htm

Also, there are other helpful things in the "Pictorial" section so go there and review it and you should be able to do a few things yourself. You probably need to replace or clean your filter. If you have a K&N air filter you can clean those but if you have a stock filter it is time to at least check it. If it is dirty you will lose a good amount of mpg's.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks Jeff! I'm just gonna go and find some in a auto shop here while visiting in Chicago and try and put them in with that handy dandy pictotutorial you made! I don't have a torque wrench though... Can I just screw the plugs in by hand? Are there specific plugs I have to buy? I only put in the K&N air filter last Thursday so I think it should be clean still...

You guys are just great. I do hope that after I change to a different windshield, maybe get the belt checked (or can I do that myself?) and with new plugs, I can hopefully get mpg in the 50s.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am

Hammy

Nice ride report on the PMRG site.

Lose the saddlebags, you'll gain some mpg's. The Silverwing is fat enough as it is w/o adding to the problem. The oversize windscreen isn't helping much in the mpg issue either, but it's a good trade-off in comfort.

Yes, you do have a clutch. You might give some thought to replacing the clutch shoes, as they do wear and slip. If you're doing that, you might want to upgrade to Malossi clutch springs --even their 'weakest' springs are better than Honda's.

Then, of course, you might consider changing the variator rollers weights to Dr Pulley sliding weights. You can go to heavier weights for more mpg's or lighter weights for performance.

I'm currently running a Sumitomo rear tire (Darkside Overdrive), Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch along with 30 gm Slider weights and averaged 44 mpg on my recent trip to the Iron Range Scooter Rally --2900 miles, most of it in the rain and at 75-80+ mph.

FYI: Anytime you exceed 5000 RPMs you really eat up the fuel. Think of the tach as a Fuel Inefficiency Meter: The higher the number goes the more fuel-inefficient you're going to be.

PM me when you get back from your trip.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:56 am

Lay off the throttle a little
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 12:44 pm

I don't have a torque wrench though... Can I just screw the plugs in by hand?

Yes but you do need to 'nip them up' with a plug-spanner.
They have a washer which crushes slightly to make the seal.
Do not use a long lever - the tiddly little bar that comes with cheap plug-spanners allows you to apply sufficent force - like these:

http://suratools.com/images/plug-spanner.gif

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/img/fs/MELPS21.jpg

I don't know if these'll fit on the Silverwing but you get the idea.

Just found this:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/installation.asp

The bit about installing plugs in lawnmowers is about right for amateurs like me (although I do have a torque-wrench).
In my Drag-Racing days I don't think we ever torqued-up the plugs, even in the fueler.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 2:58 pm

The plugs on the Silverwing are down in a hole and are hard to see how to remove and replace. My 03 had a spark plug wrench with the tool kit that was supplied then. I kept mine when I sold the 03, since the 07 did not have the tool kit.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:13 pm

If I am reading your post correctly, you are still on a trip, right? Is so, don't screw with anything. There has to be a Murphy's Law (or somebody's law) that says if your on the road and attempt a repair, you'll be left stranded later.

The two suggestions that I agree with, and won't affect the machine, are to remove the saddlebags (bungee them to the seat or ask you buddy to carry them if he has room), and to slow down. Both reduce the wind pressure against the bike and will increase your mpg.

What kind of mileage did you get before you left for your trip? Was it as bad as you are getting on the trip?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Saddlebags probably account from between 1-2 MPG on my bike. Now I can only speak for riding two up as this is the only time we ever use the saddle bags. With my wife on the back, I can usually pull 39.5 or 40 MPG on the Interstate with top case and saddlebags. When I drop the Saddlebags, we usually see 41.5 or 42. This is riding at 75 indicated. But Absolutely more than anything else SPEED KILLS!!! MPG's that is! Depending on your set up with roller weights or sliders you can do 55-60 and pull good numbers. Once you start getting up toward 60 (rollers) or 65 (28G Sliders) and higher, the drop in MPG is exponential. The reason is simple. Once the belt has ridden to to the top of the pulley on your CVT, the only way for your bike to increase speed is to increase RPM as their is no more gear to assist you. CVT's are very efficient until you reach the top of the pulley then they kill you.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 2:46 am

The thing is, even riding at 72mph actual (75 indicated) netted me no more than 32mpg. That's just horrendous and which is why I'm concerned that my Swing's not quite operating properly, saddlebags or no...

When I get back home, I'll get new plugs and just bring her in for a proper tuneup or something... cos 45mpg I can tour with but 30mpg at 75mph is just ridiculous. I mean, that's not even really riding fast at all! I'll definitely hit you up Tim when I get back cos I need some expertise...
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 7:07 am

The two biggies for fuel consumption have been mentioned. Air filter and spark plugs... you say you have a K&N air filter... check it... you have put 5,000 miles on since installing. Don't know about air conditions where you ride, but that amount of mileage can be important if the air quality is dusty. You definitely HAVE to look/change plugs. Use Jeffs pictorials for both of these procedures. Both are simple you can do. If you need the belt/clutch or other major component, you may need some professional help. I don't know about your mechanical skill level. There are some pictorials and advice here on the forum. USE em. Good luck.
What I do know is that once you get this little glitch figured out, you are going to so love this wonderful machine.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 am

1) Have you tried adding a fuel injector / value cleaning additive to the gas?? If I notice an unexplained drop in MPG or performance I add some Amsoil Performance Improver ( http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx ) or you could add equivalent. The first time I added it to 8 consecutive tanks ... then added as needed.

2) Check your tire PSI.

3) Check your brakes. Put the SWing on the centerstand .. then perform each step for front and rear tire (separately)

a) slowly rotate the tire listen for rubbing
b) fast rotate the tire listen for rubbing

< Hit the brakes>

c) slowly rotate the tire listen for rubbing
d) fast rotate the tire listen for rubbing

I resolved the rubbing by replacing the brake fluid ... though the rotor or wheel could be out of alignment.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:50 am

Well, I think I found out one reason my mileage dropped -- my drive belt snapped at 11300 miles and I am now stranded in Lafayette, IN! Are there any members who know how I can get a new belt around here or if there's any members around this part of IN who knows how to work on the bike?

HELP!!!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 am

Hi Hammy,

I'm sure we have a member near you. It's Sunday and all the Honda shops will be closed till Tuesday.

IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM AND LIVE NEAR Lafayette, IN, PLEASE HELP HAMMY OUT!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:22 am

Hammy,

I sent you a PM. If you get a belt or want me to send you a good used one, just to get you home, get back with me. But use the Pictorial on how to change the belt if you need help. You really just need a screwdriver, a socket set, and an impact drill if you don't have the tool that holds the variator in place.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:42 am

DennisB wrote:
IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM AND LIVE NEAR Lafayette, IN, PLEASE HELP HAMMY OUT!

It could be a real advantage when you click "Members" to have it list the location in a column ... then we would be able to quickly scan for any potential candidates and start sending PMs.

Right now I am 7 hours away, but without tools ... so I am hoping we can find someone closer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Significant gain in mpg's
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next