Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cutting the Givi Windshield

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Cutting the Givi Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 pm

After putting the Givi windshield on tonight and riding around quite a while I think I need to cut about 2 inches off. The way I would do it is put masking tape over the line of the cut and use a metal cutting blade in a jig saw. After that round off the edge with some sandpaper. Sound right to everyone? I appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Jay600 wrote:
After putting the Givi windshield on tonight and riding around quite a while I think I need to cut about 2 inches off. The way I would do it is put masking tape over the line of the cut and use a metal cutting blade in a jig saw. After that round off the edge with some sandpaper. Sound right to everyone?

You may not want to cut the winshield just yet. Any changes to the seat like adding foam to the butt-rest area as you mention or adding any padding (which you may find) as you ride longer would change the dynamics of your height on the windshield.

Just be sure you have your seat fully resolved before cutting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:53 am

Bill, I have plenty of windshield left even if I take the two inches. The Givi is really high. Last night I did put a pad on the seat to see what it do to line of vision. I still couldn't see over the windshield. Beyond that I'm not going to add height to the seat, just something to the top of the rise. Ergo's are good at seat height now.

Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 am

I hope I am not being too personal, but how tall are you? I just bought SW and it seems that original windshield is a bit too short. I am getting all of the wind in my face (with open face helmet). I know that Givi windshields are very popular but only 1 size is available for SW. I am only 5'6" so I am worried that Givi would be too high for me. The idea is to look OVER windshield, right? Somebody also suggested Clearview brand and it appears that they have 4 differnent sizes. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Cutting windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm

I cut 2 1/2 inches off of my givi last week and like it alot more. Sometimes in fog or rain you need to be able to see over the shield for safety. I had a friend hold a piece of cardboard under the shield and I traced the top curve. Then I taped the shield down about 5 inches with masking tape ( both sides ) and drew the curve on the tape down about 2 1/2 inches. Then using a air power hack saw I cut on the line, use a fine blade and have a friend hold the shield while cutting. Then sand with fine paper till it's smooth. bingo,bango DONE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I brought my down to the local glass shop and for ten dollars they did a prefect job cutting it down. I am also 5'6" and I have gone back to my stock. I just didn't like the looks of the Givi. I guess I am the only one but with the Givi cut down it really didn't give me that much more coverage from the wind and maybe the side winds were rougher to handle for me with the cut down Givi. We all have different taste in what we like. Who knows one day I might put it back on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:28 pm

I also called Clearview Shields and based on my height and my inseam (sp?) size they recommend their small windsheld (4 sizes are available). The small is only 1" taller than the stock one (22" vs. 21"). While it is wider I am not sure it is worth $250 (including a vent). The Givi one is just over $100 but it is 26.5" tall - way too much for me. I will try a procedure described on Clearview website for determining the correct size tonight to see what I really need. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Miro:
Have you looked into installing a laminar lip on the OEM windshield? If the height you need is only an inch or so higher than the OEM windshield, then a laminar lip may give you the amount of deflection you need - and they are cheap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Please provide more info on a laminar lip (where to buy, etc).
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 11:13 am

Miro:
Check out this link:

http://www.laminarlip.com/scooter.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm

It looks tempting. Does anyone has this lip installed? Any pictures? Thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 3:00 pm

I've been struggling with a Givi windshield for a couple of weeks now. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone of any height unless you never ride faster than 55mph or you're prepared to do some modifying with a sabre saw. Stock out of the box it was a dream come true around town. Once I got up on the interstate the buffeting that came in from the sides and the back were intolerable. I couldn't get down off the highway fast enough!

I cut off the side 'ears' and it solved that issue completely. Unfortunately, I trimmed some off the top first, thinking that it was the source of the turbulence. Its still a couple inches taller than stock, but I'm virtually right back to where I started...dealing with intense winds at the front of my helmet. I'm 6'-3" so it takes more height to get that air up over my head. If I tuck down just a bit things get very smooth and quiet. Mind you, this all occurs at 60 mph and up. Below that speed everything is dreamy, but there's alot of highway out there that I want to enjoy at 70mph.

I'm going to try the Clearview XL and see if it provides that sweet, quiet place without having to hunker down. One thing worth noting; Clearview is the only shield that comes with protective masking on both sides. You can install it, try it out, and if its not what you want you can return it for a full refund less shipping. After getting stung with both the Cee Bailey and Givi windshields, that's a nice feature.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Make sure that you talk to Clearview first. They have 4 different sizes and they will recommend the right one. You might also look into ordering a vent (extra $). Good luck.
Miro.
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 11:16 am

This is an old post, but for anyone looking for a good windshield at discounted prices, check out this list at the clearview site; they might have a few imperfections but it is (in almost all cases) unnoticeable unless you look at it with high attention.

Mine came from this list and is money very well saved. I'm 5'-11" and chose the Large without vents.

Clearview discounted shields w/warranty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the Givi Windshield   Cutting the Givi Windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cutting the Givi Windshield
Page 1 of 1