Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hard shell cargo carrier

Go down 
+5
rodenbach
GHM-PM
clay_in_co
john grinsel
Tom G
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Hard shell cargo carrier Empty
PostSubject: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 pm

I want to buy a hard shell cargo/equipment carrier that will be mounted behind the passenger's seat.

I realize that Givi is the "Gold" standard, and that Shad might be a good alternative (price wise).

I am also not sure of the size that would optimal for my needs ( no helmet storage, but clothes, maps, tools, maybe a bit of camping equipment etc.).

I'm thinking maybe a 33 or 40 liter case would do the job.

Any suggestions or advice/

Thanks

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Simple--Yellow Stanley Tool Box--$15 at WalMart---bolted directly to rear wing, which if taken off already has holes for 6mm bolts---just punch off outer crust. Box is 22" wide and can take fair amount of junk. There are also other plastic boxes available----usually a wood stiffener makes box more stable.
Back to top Go down
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 pm

Here are some pretty cheap trunks:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3415326293.html
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:02 am

This is what I installed. Nice (not as nice as Givi) but cheaper and seems well-built. I actually purchased this to use on my KLR but it mounted fine on the Wing. See my post regarding installation under modification-accessories.

EMGO Travel Trunk

EMGO Install

The above has a pic of one installed on my scoot.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:11 am

john grinsel wrote:
---bolted directly to rear wing, which if taken off already has holes for 6mm bolts---just punch off outer crust.---

Do you mean there is no need to drill holes in the rear rack?
I have been looking for a 'spare' rack with supports, since I don't want to mess up my original. But if I understand it well, this would be a waste of money. (since I'm on a tight budget...)

Hard shell cargo carrier X45bt5
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 am

You would have to drill/punch holes but they are properly cast into the rear wing - you don't have to measure or guess where they are.

If you find Jeff's 'How To' on fitting the Givi Passenger Backrest, all will be revealed in glorious technicolour.
I share your concern about making holes but I suspect most riders have something on the back and one could plug the holes with domed-head bolts if all else fails.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

MikeO wrote:
...If you find Jeff's 'How To' on fitting the Givi Passenger Backrest, all will be revealed in glorious technicolour.

Sorry Mike, I think that pdf is no longer on-line at
https://www.silverwing600.com/t31-givi-passenger-backrest-installation-pictorial
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:33 am

Mm. Not good.
It must have disappeared during a 'out'.

Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:52 am

No hurry involved for me.
as you might have seen on the new today: black ice etc on West-Flanders roads...
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 8:07 am

Yes. Fortunately, the E40 here was just very wet although there were hints of snow-flakes in the driving rain.
Makes me glad I was on the Silverwing - concentrating hard but feeling secure.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 am

I can never see why there's all this reluctance to buy the biggest and best like a Givi E52 or E55 top box. The initial outlay is expensive, but my E52 has been used on four different scooters, it's waterproof, secure, and I load it and forget about it. I can buy spare parts for it if needed, and always sell it on through eBay or a forum. In fact I probably will do that because I use the E55 all the time, and I'd love Givi to bring out the E60 next.

Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Hard shell cargo carrier VIP_candy_red0

This is what I have on my Shadow. Might replace with a Givi later on for increased storage. They claim that it will fit a full-face but that's bull. It DOES look really nice on the bike since it matches the candy red paint.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Givi while expensive to purchase---works out well in long run. My E-46 has over 500,000 miles in Europe/Asia/North America and is still very serviceable---hole cut in top and vents in back for DOG. I use it often, but still like the $15 Stanley tool box. Hate to think what it will cost to replace when it dies.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:08 am

I saw a box like Darth's on a motorcycle here in town. It looked just like the trunk on my Goldwing shrunk a bit. I looked online to see if I could find one like it but decided I didn't want to buy sight unseen. Instead I bought the Coocase 37V, it costs about the same as the Givi and is at least as well made. It has LEDs that connect to the brake lights and an motion alarm that goes off if the bike is wiggled when the alarm is set. The alarm and lid and mounting locks can be operated with the key or a remote fob that comes with it. The box has a high quality lining that can be removed and a power terminal inside. For $20 extra I got the connection kit that provides adapters to fit a bunch of cell phones, iPads, and tablets. One nice thing is there's a plug on the bottom of the trunk and a matching socket on the mounting plate so the electrics connect automatically when installing or removing the box. It isn't cheap but probably a bit less than the Givi because the mounting plate is provided with the box.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 am

When I got my previous SW there were several holes in the rear rack. I filled them with JB weld, sanded them down flush and repainted with some aluminum paint I found at the local hardware store. The color was almost a perfect match, you can't really see the difference in color between the tailpiece and the passenger footrests.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 am

Givi may be the best but some on here may be on a tight budget and just can't afford the best. I used my Emgo; because I had it from my KLR and it works so won't discard just to switch to Givi. On the KLR forum you would be amazed at the boxes/coolers and ice chests people use for a top box, now those guys are CHEAP. Laughing

I guess it is why some can drive Bentleys and others are stuck with Fords...
Dosh...
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:51 am

Glenn, I saw your Emgo picture @ https://www.silverwing600.com/t5197-emgo-top-case

I really apreciate your effort in offering an alternative to the Givi. Like you mentioned: some of us oldtimers are on a tight budget...
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 am

I agree about the expense of Givi products and do not have lots of spare cash but I look on things of quality like the topbox as an investment.
I let my E52 go with the bike this time but it's at least 8 years old and comes up like new when I use Bumpercare or similar on it.

Laurie's has a Honda box so I won't need to buy one but if I do it'll be another Givi and should last me to the end of my riding days.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Nothing wrong with saving a buck. Right now I'm a bit plush having sold my Goldwing. The funds from that bought me an '03 SW (a bit frugal there) and left money left over for some goodies to put on the scooter to assauge my loss of the GW. To be honest if it wasn't for some problems of aging I'd have kept the GW, but moving down to the SW was the next best thing for me. So as long as I don't have the big Wing I can fit out the SW for comfortable touring. The Adjustable Givi windshield and the Coocase are two of those things. I have a Kisan headlight modulator on the bench ready to install as soon as I get the new windshield bezel I ordered because the PO broke off the tabs. I also replaced the right front lower cover because of broken mounts. I figure that while I have a few extra dollars I'm going to make this a comfortable scooter and restore it to like new condition as close as I can.
Like most, I go cheap and once in awhile when things are good go a little better but never extravagant. I've never owned a brand new motorcycle so I guess that's my main claim for frugality (or cheapness).
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Givi may be the best but some on here may be on a tight budget and just can't afford the best.

But there's still this tendency to buy and fit totally un-necessary junk like fork springs, extra loud horns, and all this Dr Pulley stuff instead. Yet practical Givi boxes and the Honda lower leg wind deflectors are considered extravagant.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard shell cargo carrier   Hard shell cargo carrier I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hard shell cargo carrier
Page 1 of 1