Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Pickled Honda, anyone?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Pickled Honda, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 7:57 am

Last night, the outside temperature dropped just below freezing. As a result, all over the country, the roads have been scattered with salt. This will be continued for the next three months or so. This winter an estimated Fifty Thousand Tons (50,000,000 kgs or +100,000,000 lbs!!!) of road salt will be littered over Flemish roads. Considered the total territory of Flanders is only 13,000km² or 5,000 sqmi, that means a frikkin lot of salt per square inch of road surface!!!

Now I don't mind riding in chilly conditions, my 'comfort zone' is anything upwards from 4°C (39°F), but I have been riding with snow on the roads, and once even had to ride home from work when the roads were transformed into one giant icerink, when it had started to rain after a prolonged period of freezing.

So I don't mind the winter weather, but I do mind to ride on salt-covered roads. Not only does it create a false sense of safety, it is also very corrosive. Therefor I drive my car through the carwash with 'chassis cleaning' at least twice a month during winter, but I've never seen a motorbike in a carwash...

I used to spray my 'normal' bikes with Valvoline Tectyl Superwax. This way all the paint- and brightwork were protected against the road brime. After a while the bike looks like a ratbike, but after a thourough cleansing all the shiny bits return to their former glory, thanks to the protective layer of tectyl.

But I don't know if tectyl is useable on the Silverwing, because of it's tupperware. And I read forum threads that warn for excessive corrosion of the radiator, that is in the front wheel's line of fire.

So I wonder if any of you SW-winter riders have practical tips to prevent my SWing turning into a Pickled Honda???

Or should I just let it sit in the garage for the next three months or so... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am

ACF50 is an answer, at least I hope it is as I've applied to the bike last weekend.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 am

I use FS365! It's cheaper than ACF50 and works! I can't say more than that.

Edited bit.

TBH, I use a combination of the above with WD40 and a good polish.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tvanloon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
tvanloon

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm

I am not familiar with FS365 but I am with ACF50. I believe the US Navy uses ACF50 on it's fleet of aircraft that are on the aircraft carriers out at sea and I have seen some of the test results and it was pretty impressive how well it worked preventing corrosion from the salty sea air and mist.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:41 pm

FS365;

http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Lubes-Cleaners-Protectors/FS-365-Corrosion-Protector-1-Litre-spray/flypage.tpl.html
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:52 pm

How often do you apply the stuff?
I know spraying the bike with WD40 will protect it from corrosion for a short period of time, unlike the tectyl that sticks on for months.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm

With FS365 I give the bits!!! (Stand fast rubber bits and brakes a blast after a wash off!

It can be applied when the bike is wet or dry. As it's a light oil, when the water evaporates the oil remains behind to protect the metal underneath.

If you wash the salt off your bike then apply the FS365/ACF50 straight after.

I know ACF50 can leave a coloured tinge where applied, FS365 can leave a slight blue hue after application. Nothing harmful. I don't apply it to the tupperware as thats what the polishing is for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pickled Honda, anyone?   Pickled Honda, anyone? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pickled Honda, anyone?
Page 1 of 1