Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs

Go down 
+2
Windrider
GHM-PM
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs Empty
PostSubject: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 am

Yesterday the day dawned absolutely BEAUTIFUL in Arizona and my Wing was calling me! So I decided to head off on a ride. I had heard about some Native American (Indian) petroglyphs near Gila Bend. Petroglyphs are etching in stone done by the natives many moons ago and pretty cool.

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 1

Here is my scoot on Vulture Mine Rd. near Wickenburg. Lots of motorcycles use this less traveled route through the desert! It comes out near Interstate 10.

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 2

Here is the staging area to hike Vulture Peak! But since I was riding just kept moving on...

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 3

Stopped in Gila Bend for lunch at the Space Age Cafe. Here I met a Harley rider and we ended up having lunch together then headed out on our separate ways!

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 4

View of inside of cafe; note the small gift shop in the center. Food OK but not great.

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 5

Here is where I got nervous. The sign says 11 miles to the park and according to internet links the last 10.5 miles is on dirt roads. Tried to ascertain road status in Gila Bend but the people I talked to had never been out here... (sigh)

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 6[img][/img]

I made it! Actually the internet was wrong, the road was paved all the way to the park; the only dirt road was the driveway into the Petroglyph parking area. Color me happy!

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 7

Next couple of pictures are the actual petroglyphs:

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 8

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 9

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 10

One of the information boards; there are many about to give information! I left shortly and headed back home.

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 11

Back on Vulture Mine Rd. Here is a picture of the Arizona state tree!

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs 12

Almost home! The sun was going down and I thought this picture of the moon was neat.

I hope you enjoyed this account; I rode 226 miles total and averaged 53.3 MPG on fuel usage. Hit the super-slab twice for brief periods both on Interstate 10 and Interstate 8.

Last edited by GHM-PM on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 am

Did you ride any Dirt roads? I tryed one here, but it didn't feel right on it.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 am

In that part of the world, pavement is scarce. You learn quickly to ride on gravel and/or dirt and like it, or don't ride at all.

Thanks for the photos. Brings back memories of a long time ago.

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 am

Windrider wrote:
Did you ride any Dirt roads? I tryed one here, but it didn't feel right on it.

Only about 1/4 mile this trip. But yes I do sometimes ride on dirt roads. As long as it is a firm good road no problems.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 am

A lovely day out, so to see.
Over here (Belgium) we had some bad weather with heavy winds - up to 9Bft, this weekend. Not as bad as in some parts of the UK though, where there were severe floodings (once again).

These petroglyphs remind me of a similar kind of rock carvings, I once visited in Sweden. In Tanumshede there are more than 1000 of these to be found, and there are plenty more across Scandinavia.

I guess it was a kind of 'facebook' version 0.0.0.1 Mad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanumshede

And talking of 'dirt tracking' on a SW: on one of my rides I took a shortcut, that I believed was a paved road. After a while it turned into a kind of sandy trail, between sanddunes. Managed to stay upright, but the SW was a handful to say the least. The track was too narrow to turn, and I didn't risk to stop, so I continued, 'sliding it forward'. Fortunately it was only for a Mile or so. For a moment I thought of stopping and taking a picture of the SW on the trail, but as I said, I was too afraid the rear wheel would 'dig in' after coming to a full stop.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Back in the late 70's, my wife and I with our two daughters spent a summer night in Gila Bend. We were passing through heading back to Santa Fe, NM. I remember icing down the cold water to make it warm enough to bathe our two girls. The water coming out of the cold tap, was very hot. The motel also recommended we only drink bottled water. Brings back good memories. Thanks..
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey "Glenn"
That picture of the 'state tree'... is that the state tree because of the type or because it's the only one in the state??? Laughing Laughing Oh yeah... and that site that charged $2.00 per vehicle... I don't suppose they let you in for half price did they??? Smile Smile Great tour and great pictures!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm

DickO wrote:
Hey "Glenn"
That picture of the 'state tree'... is that the state tree because of the type or because it's the only one in the state??? Laughing Laughing Oh yeah... and that site that charged $2.00 per vehicle... I don't suppose they let you in for half price did they??? Smile Smile Great tour and great pictures!

No the Palo Verde is the state tree but haven't see a lot of them LOL. And as to the $2.00 it is an "honor" system so I could have left nothing. But it is a nice place and the restroom was worth the 2 bucks!!! :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs   Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gila Bend, AZ petroglyphs
Page 1 of 1