Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Low speed manuvering

Go down 
+3
NWSSC
Cosmic_Jumper
rjdoles
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Low speed manuvering Empty
PostSubject: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm

I bought the bike a month ago but it has taken me three weeks of waiting on parts and working as I had time to change the fluids, tires, drive belt and switch to 28 g sliders.

Now that I have had a week of nice weather to ride the scooter on both superslab, secondary roads and city traffic, I am pretty well pleased. It will take me a little time to get used to the additional weight and handling characteristics of this scooter.

I have a couple of questions regarding low speed handling.

When I slow to a stop, I feel the engine braking with throttle off. Our Reflex and Majesty did not have much in the way of engine braking. The engine braking holds the scooter back until about 10 mph and then the engine suddenly uncouples and the scooter just freewheels. That uncoupling has surprised me a couple of times in slow speed parking lot kinds of turns and caused a few wobbly maneuvers. Is this normal or is it due to the sliders?

Our Reflex and Majesty clutch seemed to couple up at lower rpm and move immediately when the throttle was twisted. I was used to picking my foot up as I twisted the throttle. The Silverwing is different. Starting from a stop, there is a slight delay before the clutch engages as the engine has to spool up a bit to get things underway. You can't just pick your foot up on application of throttle. I have found myself paddling a step or two with my feet from a stop. Is this normal or is it due to the sliders?

Once underway, it is one fine scooter. I don't have a lot of time on it yet and I will learn it's traits as I get more time on it. I am a little sorry now that I didn't hold off on installing the sliders until I learned how the stock Silverwing behaved. Once I had the covers and the drive belt off, I decided to swap the rollers out at the same time.

Ride safe!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Sounds normal to me.

The SW drops in to freewheel anytime the RPMs get below ~2000.

If the Reflex & Majesty variator/clutch engages at a lower RPM than the SW they would also disengage at a lower RPM than the SW. And therefore give the impression that the SW freewheels more abruptly.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Sounds normal to me also.Try and hold the left brake lever at a stop and increase the rpm about 100/200 rpm when you are ready to move. This usually locks up the clutch (stock springs @ weights) and then you can increase the rpm's slightly when you are ready launch from a stop. With a little practice this will give a smooth start. You will also notice that dragging the brakes slightly (left brake lever)at slow speed will make the S/W more stable at very slow speed.Hope this helps. Smile
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 10:12 am

Speaking of Low Speed Manuvering, I would love to hear how people describe how they make a tight U-turn at slow speed, ie. in a parking lot. Thanks Dan
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 10:36 am

My favourite bit of YouTube!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegpNBY7DIc

Now, get those cones in a car lot/park!!!! (US/UK) Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 11:11 am

This works for me - I learned in an MSF course a few years ago that in order to perfom low speed maneuvers and u-turns you should turn your head completely in the direction you want to turn, and your eyes should be positioned like you are viewing the horizon. If you look down at the road when performing a tight low-speed turn you somehow lose your balance and want to put your feet down.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 am

Having owned several rubber band drive scooters and runing up over 250,000 miles. I have the following tips/. suggestions:

1. Return clutch/weights to stock

2. Take MSF ERC course

SilverWing is no better or worse in the clutch/drive line take up area than other I have purchased new(TMAX,Burgman 400 (2), Helix (4), Reflex.

Practice slow speed stuff--feet up U turns doable---even though brakes are linked, left lever can be used as balancing aid as rear does come on first
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low speed manuvering   Low speed manuvering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low speed manuvering
Page 1 of 1