Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Yet another new Silverwing owner

Go down 
+9
Meldrew
oldwingguy
sonuvabug
Dale N.
Mighty Mouse
exavid
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
mondodemundo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
mondodemundo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-08-21

Yet another new Silverwing owner Empty
PostSubject: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Recently, I rode a 200 cc scooter from Charleston the Wisconsin and back. I swore I would never do that again and started looking for bigger scooters. I was pretty sold on a T-Max, because of the modification potential, had too many BMWs in the past to want another one, and considered the Yamaha or one of the Burgmans. But the more I looked around, the more the Silverwing stood out as an amazing value right now. I saw one for 2000 with 14000 miles on it for less than $2000 and thought that was an amazing deal. Then, while trying to contact the owner, a couple more popped up on Facebook marketplace. One was a blue 2006, with 7200 miles. I went and got it for $1800. A 600cc Honda Scooter with 7200 miles for under $2000 is amazing. The owner said it will go 90. And he's wrong. It went well the other side of 100.
So far I've replaced the original front tire with a Kenda, a bottle of Ride On and replaced the front pads with malossi sintered pads, even though they were probably fine. I ordered a new strut, and I've already taken it on a fast 600 mile day ride through an incredible rain storm.
I usually modify my bikes almost as soon as I get them, but I think I'm going to wait until this one is due for a belt before I throw on the Malossi Variator and clutch. And I might even forego completely a new exhaust.
It has a Givi touring shield on it, and I got the original shield, but I've got a tinted sports shield coming in order to give me more air in the heat.
Today's addition is going to be a cable seat lock that goes from the seat to the end of the left handlebar.
After that, who knows. I should probably change the oil.
So far, this forum has been very helpful in terms of pointing me toward resources in order to get a better idea of how to fix the things that need fixing.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Hello. Thanks for your introduction. Welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if you have an impressive amount of modifications in mind for your new SW. But Malossi? Most here have had great success with Dr Pulley sliding weights for the variator, and Dr Pulley also has a HiT Clutch which has proven very successful as well.

We'll be interested to hear about your reasons and experience with Malossi stuff. And just an FYI, Honda OEM belt can't be beat. We had a few reports of Malossi belts shredding.

Good luck with your new ride.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 4:56 pm

I say after 2 new SilverWings and over 90,000 miles, leave it alone and ride it.....after all it is older scooter----want to change? front mudflap, Givi rack and box, Givi adjustable windshield and NEP cruise control works----want better performance=get a motorcycle.

Stock drive train works--and doesn't let you down. OEM belts changed at 15,000 mile intervals won't let you down
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 5:49 pm

I vote for Dr. Pulley weights. I changed to them on a previous Silverwing I had and was pleased with them. I think they were 26gm weights but are not sure.

Some of the modifications I've done on SWs are:
Add top box.
Headlight modulator
Dr. Pulley sliders
Kaoko throttle holder
Cramp Buster
Corbin seat
Mirror extenders
Grip puppies
12V socket added to the left cubby
Trimmed windshield on previous SW
Installed Givi adjustable on another SW I had.

Why not?

Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 3:48 am

I installed a Malossi variator on a SYM 300 which I had - only for it to strip the shaft bearings within 10 000km's. From that experience I learned if it ain't broke, don't fix it! But I have had Dr Pulleys in both my Swings and would recommend them to anybody who asked.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am

Yup. The SWing is pretty much bullet proof the way it is. I stick with OEM belt but I did put in 26 gram sliders when I changed the belt. I bought it used and the wind screen it came with is OK with me. It also came with a top box. I did add speakers and an amp in the box so I could listen to my music while riding. I mount my MP3 player with a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the ear phone jack and it transmits to the Bluetooth receiver in the top box.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 8:47 am

Welcome aboard the board mondo!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 10:47 am

Welcome from o-HI-o, modify to your hearts content there are plenty of resources here to act on.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm

mondodemundo wrote:
I ordered a new strut, and I've already taken it on a fast 600 mile day ride through an incredible rain storm.

That's no way to treat a new strut, so a fast 600 miles in a day especially when it's pissing down with rain, any particular reason?
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 2:02 am

I would agree with others, the OEM belt is proven, I have just done on my friend's Swing:
Honda Belt, Dr Pulley 26gm sliding weights, Air filter, Oil Filter & oil change. His report back was......It feels so smooth and more responsive, so I would always use Honda belt.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 11:31 am

First, Congrats on doing that 200cc scooter ride.
Second: Great deal.
Third: Small screen for summer; big screen for winter.
Fourth: Maybe accessorizing and tampering with farkels is half the fun.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Max speed   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2019 6:46 pm

I have had 2 Silverwings that could show 105 on the speedometer but a GPS said that they were running 95 MPH and that is plenty fast for a scooter.  I have always considered all Honda motorcycle speedometers to be defective because they have 10% +/- error built-in.  If you use a speed corrector the odometer will read low.

Maybe one day an ambitious lawyer will see a great opportunity.  He can get rich and a lot of us can be a few cents richer.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2019 11:30 pm

Most automotive speedometers are designed to read somewhat higher than actual. It helps keep speeds down somewhat.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 2:14 pm

1Wingman1 wrote:
I have had 2 Silverwings that could show 105 on the speedometer but a GPS said that they were running 95 MPH and that is plenty fast for a scooter.  I have always considered all Honda motorcycle speedometers to be defective because they have 10% +/- error built-in.  If you use a speed corrector the odometer will read low.

Maybe one day an ambitious lawyer will see a great opportunity.  He can get rich and a lot of us can be a few cents richer.
My 2013 Swing's speedometer reads the same with my Garmin GPS. I think that at some point, Honda corrected their speedometer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another new Silverwing owner   Yet another new Silverwing owner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet another new Silverwing owner
Page 1 of 1