Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report

Go down 
+2
SCTLVR
Dimond
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report Empty
PostSubject: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm

WeekDay Ride Report - Beckwourth/Sonora Passes, September 13, 2012. This WeekDay ride ( http://goo.gl/maps/wB9Zh ) went up Feather River Highway (SR70 east) to Beckwourth Pass, then 395 south to SR108 and west back home over Sonora Pass. Some ride factoids: 610 mi RT, 15 hours door-to-door; temperature range form 45 (8:30 AM in mountains) to 100 (3pm in valley) for a differential of 55 - only possible to enjoy the ride (for me in full gear) was to have layers in AM and evaporative cooling gear in the PM; no near-misses (rare that I don't have a least one on a long ride - from either operator error or the other guy); and no-smoke in the air (don't like smoke as CHIPS fire which burned 75000 acres is out except maybe for some hot spots). The ride started at sunrise in Oroville (the nearly 3 hours getting there in the dark did not count for much), then proceeded up SR70 into Plumus National Forest via the Feather River Highway - the canyon winds were strong, the road was quiet (very quiet), the air was crisp, and the views were awesome. No sign of the CHIPS fire on this route - not that I could see. Once a bit past SR89 the road levels out at 4000-5000 feet and there are more valley areas along the way - and people! Stopped at the RR Museum in Portola - did not pay the $8 to get in - just left a donation. Beckwouth Pass is a bit anti-climatic as compared to nearly every other Sierra Pass as it only drops down on one side (Nevada) as the other side (west) is mostly a high plain . Took photos ( http://2012ride.shutterfly.com , click on the 1st photo to open the Sutterfly album) as best I could but nothing can substitute for seeing it on 2-wheels! Lots of short traffic construction stops on the way - but a necessary evil to keep up our roads - and California has a great highway system - the road surfaces were near perfect for the entire ride. This completes my quest to cross all of the Sierra Mountain passes in N. California during the past two weeks before the snows come - did Tioga, Ebbetts, Carson, Echo, Donner, on prior rides - and Beckwourth and Sonora on this ride - 2000 miles total - maybe there are some minor passes that I missed? Ride Safe!
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Wow, Dimond. Nice long ride.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Nice ride for sure; thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm

:not worthy: Great report with pictures. I like pictures. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 am

I like the pictures, I have been to part of them, Would sure like to go again on my SWing
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Dimond, that's quite a ride! It looks like you had a good day for it. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report   Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beckwourth/Sonora Passes Ride Report
Page 1 of 1