Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

torque wrenches

Go down 
+7
Meldrew
Dimond
SCTLVR
Waspie
rollsroyce250
toolboxjesse
scootergal11
11 posters
AuthorMessage
scootergal11
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scootergal11

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-08-03

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Anybody in need of a torque wrench, I got mine today at harbor freight for $12.99. Just thought I would share and let you know.
torque wrenches 2
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 pm

I found a coupon in Rider magazine for the same wrenches for $9.99. Coupon expires 9/1. I have been meaning to pick up a 3/8" wrench when I have a chance to ride over.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
scootergal11
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scootergal11

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-08-03

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Wow, that's better yet Jesse!
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm

I have to laugh when anyone buys HF torque wrenches and expects them to be accurate and long lasting. Why do aircraft and automotive certified techs not have a drawer full of HF torque wrenches rather than Snap-On?

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Torque wrenches are only accurate if frequently calibrated - any one calibrate theirs?

I don't!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 2:28 pm

The discussion of torque setting is a very deep one indeed.
Appears that the only "true" way of knowing that a fastener is properly tightened is to measure its length.
I use my torque wrench to gain repeatability and to get fasteners tightened in their workable range. No bolts have loosened in the use of this method so far.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm

We used used to use the number of white knuckles in my early days as a spanner monkey!
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:28 am

SCTLVR wrote:

I use my torque wrench to gain repeatability and to get fasteners tightened in their workable range.

SCTLVR - Are you saying that tightening fasteners to the same approximate torque is more important that having them at exact proper torque? How do you know that the fasteners are tightened within their workable range?

General - I have had multiple bad experiences with Honda Dealers severely OVER tightening critical bolts/nuts to the point that I suspect the stress exceeded the fastener elastic range - guessing the dealers did this with impact wrenches. I now avoid dealers for maintenance if at all possible. This forum is re-pleat with folks that have had trouble with loosening the oil drain plug - which I attribute to severe over-torquing - as I properly (I think) torque wrench the oil drain plug and have never had the least bit of an issue with getting it loose (it is a big bolt that requires very little torque and hence is easy to over-torque if using an impact wrench or hand tightening without a proper low-range torque wrench). I have entrusted my fastener torquing to my 3 HF torque wrenches (1/4, 3/8, & 1/2) which seem to adequately cover the range for my SWing. Yes HF are low cost but most of my tools are HF and they seem to work just fine for maintaining my SWing - which is about all they are used for. I am never sure that paying double or triple is buying me more - but if I had the resources I would by better. I don't calibrate my torque wrenches - but may try to 'check' them along the mid-point range at some future date. I try to stay away from using a torque wrench in the lower 20% of its scale as I have found most instruments to be more inaccurate/unreliable at the low range - and better mid to high range (to do this I move down in torque wrench size which sometimes requires an adapter coupling to connect to the appropriate socket - this is especially important for the oil drain plug). I have found that hand tightening without a torque wrench results (for me anyway) in over torquing AND very uneven torque levels - so now I almost always use a torque wrench. If the Honda Maintenance Manual does not provide a torque level for the fastener - then I measure the thread diameter (with HF calipers of course) and use the generic level for the fastener as listed in the Honda Service Manual. Lately I have been using more Loctite type fastener aides (where appropriate) to ensure that key fasteners are less likely to work loose (friend had some fasteners work loose that resulted in a nasty accident - so check those fasteners!). The above is my opinion - I am not a torque expert - just saying this is what I do.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

Of course one could use a 'T' Bar - spring balance and a good portion of mathematical know how and do it the old fashioned way!

Used to do it that way when I first started working on Helicopters but I had a 'man' who was good with sums to do the awkward bit! (I simply fetched the tools and made the tea!!!) Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 pm

I've got a couple of torque wrenches that I haven't used for years, all I know is they're in Nm or lb/ft, you set them and they make a click and stop you tightening any further at that setting. I used to use them to torque up wheel nuts after refitting wheels to the various Paralever BMW's I had back then, or maybe a sump plug.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Dimond,
I put together a big response to your message and clicked send, but the message is in the electron ether! I'm not going to put the message back together but suffice to say, I like analyzing stuff like this as well.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Okay... time for a "war" story...

On occasion while I was in the Air Force, we installed propellers on T-56 turboprop engines on C-130E aircraft. Anyway... the shaft was like 4.5 or 5 inches in diameter as was the associated nut that went on to secure the prop after it was slid on. Well, the nut was turned on as far a it would go by hand and then a special slotted wrench was used to turn it on down as tight as you could get it by hand wrench.

Then... we had this "bodacious, big tri-oval shaped reduction gear tool" about a foot and a half tall, a foot wide, and about 8 inches thick, with a hole that slipped over said shaft and engaged the slotted nut. The other end of the "bodacious, big tri-oval shaped reduction gear tool" had a square one inch drive opening for the one inch drive torque wrench that was some 3 and a half to 4 feet long. The torque wrench was "set" and then used to apply the required torque thru the "bodacious, big tri-oval shaped reduction gear tool" until the required "click" occured.

Then... additional torque was applied on top of that so the "degree" marker on the front of the "bodacious, big tri-oval shaped reduction gear tool" was at its proper setting.

How much torque was that??? I really don't remember except I know it was a whole bunch. Was the darndest most torque I ever put on anything.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Your tax dollars at work!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
torque wrenches 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 pm

I once was a gopher in an oil refinery and we "torqued" head bolts with a crow's foot wrench and a sledge hammer. Torque depended on the size of the guy swinging the hammer. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 am

rollsroyce250 wrote:
have a drawer full of HF torque wrenches rather than Snap-On?

The old addage comes to mind -- Never trust a man with a Snap on tool.

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 3:28 pm

DickO wrote:
Okay... time for a "war" story...

How much torque was that??? I really don't remember except I know it was a whole bunch. Was the darndest most torque I ever put on anything.

DickO, you want to check out the torque on the Jesus Bolt on a helicopter rotor head.

The torque figure it that large a wrench isn't used but a hydraulic ram is!!!!! Imagine if the rotors came off!!!!! Sorta akin to watching your back wheel sailing past you at speed!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 am

Yeah Doug, maybe all those fasteners in those truly critical areas could be called "Jesus Bolts" (or nuts, or whatever). Some things ya' just don't want to come loose, ever!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I was told on good authority that the 'best' torque-wrenches were the ones with a bendy bar, pointer and scale - more awkward to use but retain their accuracy.
I've got the 'click' sort. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

torque wrenches Empty
PostSubject: Re: torque wrenches   torque wrenches I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

torque wrenches
Page 1 of 1