Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 2:56 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front axle wont come out.

Go down 
+8
bikerboy
jmcamionero71
SCTLVR
DennisB
Waspie
toolboxjesse
"Hi Yo"
dragnframe
12 posters
AuthorMessage
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-08-11

Front axle wont come out. Empty
PostSubject: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Removing a front wheel on 04 silverwing,and the front axle wont come out. I loosend the pinch bolts and the axle bolt,the axle turns but will not come out,am I missing something?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Front axle wont come out. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm

This has bee a problem for others. From what I've read in the pictorial section, people use a screwdriver to wiggle it out. You might want to go to the pictorial section and read for yourself. I believe it also has to come out on the right side.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 am

if you have a long skinny punch you can try to knock it out from inside the bolt hole. Just make sure not to damage the threads. You might also consider heating it up with a commercial heat gun (not sure if you should use a torch since the fork lower is aluminum I believe.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 am

dragnframe wrote:
am I missing something?

Yup!!! A bigger hammer!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am

Try taking the weight off the front wheel as you pull the axle out.

Last edited by DennisB on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 am

Lead bead filled rubber mallets work very well without damaging threads.
Be sure to lubricate the axle before putting it back in.
Back to top Go down
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for all the tips. I got the front wheel off the ground and have used a hammer and a punch still nothing. I have never had a axle be this hard. I got a couple more tricks,If they dont work then air hammer will be brought in to duty and will probley have to replace the axle. Is this a common problem on the silver wing?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:40 am

dragnframe wrote:
Is this a common problem on the silver wing?

NO!
Back to top Go down
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 am

Umm, I never had one come out this hard. I can turn the axle with a small screw driver but it wont come out. I just asked if it was a problem cause Hi-YO said others have had the same issue.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 am

Have to say this is the first that I have been made aware of. I know a few have needed a bit more force but not the lengths you seem to be experiencing!

Things like rear/front wheels and exhaust, I 'fiddle' with at least every year purely because I know they are the most common parts that need removing for wheel changes etc.

Just out of interest have you checked a diagram just in case something obvious has been missed?
Back to top Go down
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm

No I havent, If you have one you could post I will be more then happy to look at it. I have worked on alot of different bikes,but that doesnt mean I have over looked something or missed something,speaically as ticked off I was last night trying to get it out. LOL. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:34 pm

OK, just looked at my manual and I cannot see anything like a circlip or anything that would result in stopping the axles removal. Once the axle nut is removed and the pinch bolts slackened you should (according to the manual), simply pull the axle out!

The axle is tapered to are you trying to remove it the wrong way perhaps?

Sorry if I sound patronising but I'm behind my screen not in front of your bike!!! Not intending to be anything but helpful!
Back to top Go down
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Waspie, You are nothing but helpful and thanks for that. As said before I work on bike often but this is my first silver wing wheel removal and Iam not perfect so I thought maybe before I go to useing alot of brut force I better double check Iam not missing something. I took the axle bolt off the left side,loosed both pinch even took them out by now, and Iam trying to pull axle out of the right side,I say left and right as if you would be sitting on the bike.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm wondering if the inner race of one of the wheel bearings has rusted/frozen on to the axle. You might consider unbolting the fork uppers from the steering head, removing the brake caliper and hoses, and taking the whole front assembly to a machine shop to see if they can press it out on a hydraulic press.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Thats what Iam leaning towards.Iam going to try some stuff tonight but worse case I will have to remove the forks and take it to have it pressed out. Thanks for the help guys!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Good luck and don't forget to let us know the outcome!
Back to top Go down
dragnframe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 6:44 pm

GOT IT!!!!!

Man that thing was stuck! This had to be the hardest axle I have ever took out. Toolbox hit with the axle rusted,I had to take a air hammer and drive the axle all the way out,even when the axle was out of the wheel I had to still drive the axle through the fork till it fell on the floor. Does anybody have a diagram of the wheel I think since we are this far Iam going to replace the spacer and bearings along with the new axle. Again thanks for all the help and tips this is a great forum!!!!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 4:58 am

Try this link dragnframe!

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/5/Type/Scooter/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/48/Year/2007/ModelID/4824/Model/FSC600A/GroupID/157784/Group/FRONT_WHEEL
Back to top Go down
jmcamionero71
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jmcamionero71

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 am

I see of that you have problems to remove the front axis I you put what I use for the disassembly with some photos for if I help you in something

Front axle wont come out. Foto-PZOH7Z6O-D

First we dismantle the tweezers of brake

Front axle wont come out. Foto-KKWCX8CU-D

Second with a llave of carratraca slacken the side this where the tweezers of brakes

Front axle wont come out. Foto-XLABKMPV-D

Third party with a key L we slacken another side in order that the central cña remains free and with a few blows with a hammer of rubber it could extract towards the side of the tweezers of brake

Front axle wont come out. Foto-GMRRY4SL-D

Front axle wont come out. Foto-LE63GRYV-D

I wait of be of great help
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 am

Don't forget the smear of grease on the new axle before you fit it !!
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 7:11 am

I suppose you have taken the weight off the wheel
while it is suspended on the axle. this may alleviate
any problems caused by minor burrs where the
bearings run.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Reading this thread has posed a couple of questions which I'd like to open to discussion.

Before I got my service manual I would always smear the front axle with grease when reinserting it. The manual doesn't mention this and I suppose that's because the axle doesn't rotate. However, the first time I took the front wheel off for a tyre change, the right-hand-side bearing 'fell out' of the hub all by itself. The axle does show a 'ring' of slight corrosion the exact width of the bearing. I'm just about to put the front wheel back on after another tyre change and the question of greasing the axle made me think further.

The reason the bearing fell out of the hub is because it had been rotating inside the hub. Seized I would imagine; neglected by a previous owner! I bought a new wheel complete with bearings and dust caps fitted and I instinctively lightly greased the existing axle when installing the wheel. Whenever I need to take off the front wheel, the axle slides out nicely by hand.

Should we add an amendment to our service manuals?...or maybe we are all doing this anyway?...is greasing the front axle doing any harm causing other problems? Just a thought  confused
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm

In my opinion you absolutely should lightly grease the axle whenever a wheel comes out. It has to slide through the steel wheel spacers, bearing inners and the distance collar within the wheel, and you don't need it sticking to any of those during installation or removal. A little grease at the axle clamp won't do any harm either as it helps the axle find the "relaxed" position in the forks which causes least fork binding. And the bearing dust seals should also have some lithium soap grease applied to the lips which contact the spacers. Just don't get any excess grease onto the discs or pads.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 6:21 am

Back in my motorcycling days I used to regularly put a light smear of grease on the wheel axles of all of the MZ's and BMW's I owned. Both makes had easily removed front and rear wheel axles and that film of grease made all the difference. Especially as I was riding all year round and they salt and grit the roads in winter months.

A bit of salt corrosion can make non greased wheel axles really difficult to remove.

So should I remove and grease the wheel axles of my 3 year old Forza. I might if I had the correct torque settings for reference and had nothing better to do. Or I'll stick to my usual winter regime of trying to avoid salted roads unless I'm forced to ride them, and wash and thoroughly blow dry the scooter every time I've been out.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 3:41 am

Well, the wheel is back in place. All lightly greased, rotating smoothly.

Salted roads?...my pet hate. I vowed never to ride on them unless it's an emergency. I don't mind winter riding but those salted roads.....GGRRRRRR!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front axle wont come out.   Front axle wont come out. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front axle wont come out.
Page 1 of 1