Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Cruse control I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cruse control

Go down 
+6
ailixhomes
honda_silver
Dimond
mjm1942
MarkB
skooterdenny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
skooterdenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Im interested in putting on some kind of cruse control.What are my options, Where can I order them? What kinds are available?Who can get them for me,and as cheep as possable.As my brother is getting out of the hospital soon,and I'll be making a 500 mile trip to help him.I need something ASAP,but want to get something That I can put on myself.I'll be running back and forth several times,so need something safe,and efficient.I recently purchased a new car, But my 05 swing is the only way to go.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:20 am

I think the Breakaway Cruise control - Part# 6CB03-01 (fits the Silver Wing - all years) is the only one I'd recommend. It is actually coupled to your right break - so a panic stop will automatically release the throttle. All the others do not release the throttle. You have to think about disengaging them (ie., forcing the throttle closed) while jumping on your breaks. Also, it mounts right over the stock grip - so the fitting is not too complicated.

(Except in my case. I have the Oxford Heated grips - which I love! - and they are a little too thick. So I will try to mount it directly on the throttle tube per their instructions for the Yamaha FJR1300. I know they have a disclaimer that their product is not compatible with heated grips (mainly because the wire is in the way) but I'm hoping I can prove them wrong.)
Back to top Go down
skooterdenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks Mark, I purchased a Breakaway,and will put it on In the next couple days. i will send my opinion as to what I think.Also,I've added a A.F.Adjustable,as I've heard nothing but Good about them.So far,I'm very impressed with it.Honda couldn't have ridden there swing with the stock one.Five star for the 214 Adjustable. Denny,
Back to top Go down
mjm1942
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mjm1942

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-27

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 8:52 pm

I use the Crampbuster on the highway and rotate it forward to a straight down position when I am in town. It works well for me and has been foolproof as there is nothing to disengage, you just roll off the throttle as normal. It took a bit of experimenting to get the perfect angle to set it at so that with the desired amount of highway throttle I am riding "flat-wristed" - that way a bad bump will not result in extra unwanted throttle being applied. Not promoting it, just saying that it works fine for me and was very inexpensive (less than $20)
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 am

I have the VistaCruise-WristRest-GripPuppies (https://www.silverwing600.com/t4529-how-much-can-i-add-to-handlebar-ends) combo and it has served me well for about 12000 miles. Honda_Silver suggested the WristRest (hognutz.com) and he was spot on - I keep mine at the 10 O'Clock position as they are most useful to me when travelling at freeway speed (70mph actual). I would be lost without my VistaCruiez and my WristRests - not only do they keep me going on an 8 hour ride - but my speed does not go up/down as much. Do I think this stuff is safe - NO; do I think this stuff is necessary for me - YES. The safety risk IMHO is acceptable, especially considering that if I really wanted to be safe I would not be on 2 wheels. The 'lock' is never that tight that you can not easily roll back on the throttle - if you think about it.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Dimond wrote:
Honda_Silver suggested the WristRest (hognutz.com) and he was spot on - I keep mine at the 10 O'Clock position as they are most useful to me when travelling at freeway speed (70mph actual). I would be lost without my VistaCruiez and my WristRests - not only do they keep me going on an 8 hour ride - but my speed does not go up/down as much.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3184-cramp-buster#29447
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

I took a look at the WristRest - thanks to honda_silver's link above - but I'm really happy with the Crampbuster. I keep it at close to 10 o'clock even in local and city traffic. I like how just a light flexing of the wrist can give me whatever throttle I need and with my front fingers resting on the brakes, I feel very much in control of my ride.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:59 am

I finally mounted my Breakaway last night. It took several hours - mainly in the effort to remove the heated grip. It was glued on pretty well and I couldn't find the right tool to get to it. I finally bought a 6" long pocket ruler from AutoZone. It is steel, thin, and about 1/2" wide. At first (several weeks ago) I tried it 'as-is' - inserting it between the throttle tube and the grip's plastic liner and managed to hammer it in about 3/4 of the way, all the way around the throttle tube. But it wouldn't go past that. Last week I had the idea that my ruler needed a point, so I broke out my long-dormant wet grinder and gave it one. And last night while I went at it again and it started to buckle a bit from the hammering, I realized it needed a length-wise arc to match the curve of the throttle-tube - and give it structural strength to resist the hammer. It only took a few minutes with a couple of pliers to bend it along the length... and it was amazing how effective it was. I think I had the heated grip off the tube in less than 15 minutes.

But installng the Breakaway was a slight challenge. My mechanic had given my an old discarded oem throttle grip. (The Breakaway's inner ring is too large to sit on the naked throttle tube - it's intended to mount on the oem grip.) I cut the grip up to provide a rubber ring just big enough for the inner ring and glued it right next to the power switch housing (after protecting the housing from the glue with a slieve cut from a plastic bag). Then I mounted the Breakaway per the instructions - no problem. Then I reinstalled the heated grip not quite butted up to Breakaway. Of course, it now extended beyond the throttle tube by about 2mm. I had enough parts with me to rig an extender inside the tube before mounting my oem bar end. Fortunately, it all just fit within the size allowed by the Barkbusters handguard aluminum backbone, which was my final challenge. I'll take it for a ride today to see how it all went.
Back to top Go down
ailixhomes
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 am

Cruise control has been a popular function in vehicles, bikes, trucks and SUV for decades. During long pushes, it reduces drivers from the chores engaged with keeping an appropriate speed while moving the vehicle. You can search online to buy cruise control at affordable prices.
Back to top Go down
Bounder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bounder

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-09-05

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 pm

I would be interested to know if your Breakaway works. I installed it on my SW but I could not get it to work properly so i returned the item. I am now using "Go Cruise Throttle Lock" which works great and only cost $29.95.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 pm

I am looking some day to getting a Breakaway - but for now I have settled on VistaCruise for the LOCK (keep in mind that LOCK only means that there is some friction holding the throttle in place - but not so much that you can not roll back on the throttle) - and on WristRest for CONTROL (i.e., ease) in operating the throttle. Do I feel that these items are unsafe - YES in a panic emergency situation! However, they are much safer during the rest (99.99999%) of the time as I can better control my speed, I am less fatigued when a panic comes along, and other vehicles are going to see that me riding at as steady pace - not up and down - especially since many other drivers are operating under cruise control. I found out when riding and thinking about what I do, that my natural tendency during stopping is to roll off the throttle - so I never really just let let it go and have the return spring close the throttle as my gloved hand is on the throttle - not off it - which means that the only time I am off throttle is when I am off the bike - which means the bike is quickly going down - and does it matter much if the bike is going down with the throttle on in one direction and me in another? A lot of the time my throttle lock stays on and I just roll on the throttle for acceleration and roll off the throttle to slow down or stop - I don't even realize that I am doing this - it is just a reaction thing - like countersteering. Further, in a panic, how many of us roll off the throttle THEN start to apply the brakes? Once I start to apply the brakes in a panic - I doubt if I am thinking (or doing anything) about rolling off the throttle - What is your experience in this matter?. I have only had one real panic stop - and I hit the brakes so fast - and my heart jumped so high - that I doubt if I rolled off any on the throttle - plus the extreme hand grip on the throttle due to the hard braking is going to act somewhat as a LOCK on the throttle regardless of whether there is any true physical LOCK apparatus on the throttle - who's to say what we do as it all happens so fast - and I imagine that many of us (me at least) are not experienced in panic stops - nor have we practiced them. Even with the a Breakaway in a panic stop, your hand is going to bear very hard on the throttle as your first reaction to braking which somewhat negates the ability of the throttle to disengage UNLESS you turn it - and do you in a panic? Based on the foregoing, I am not sure that using throttle LOCKS are really more unsafe than not using them - But what do you think and what has been your experience? Next, the CONTROL (e.g., Crampbuster, WristRest) is in my opinion very helpful - but much more unsafe (than no CONTROL or just using a LOCK). This primarily is due to the fact that unintended (e.g., casual brush, panic contact) operation of the throttle could happen - it certainly has happened with me (no issues but there could have been). I tried a CrampBuster - but it was so wide that I could not get away from it - they have a skinnier model - maybe this is better. The nice thing about the WristRest is you can rotate it away from you - which is the position I use much of the time. [For left WristRest (this has no bearing on throttle matters) I have welded a tap onto the handlebar end weight to which I have affixed the plastic part of the WristRest - which gets the WristRest metal clamp off my grip for a bit more hand room - need to loosen my end screw if I need to adjust it - but not much need to adjust.] So, I think that the CONTROL devices are a bit unsafe. For now, I am willing to keep using both my VistaCruise (for LOCK) and WristRest (for CONTROL) as the benefits for me seem to outweigh the risk. What safety issues concern you with LOCK or CONTROL? On a closing note, most of us likely use Cruise Control on our cars - and do we perceive any safety issues with Cruise Control ON? Probably not, however, the reality is that the time it takes you to take move you foot (especially if playing footsies!) to the brake with Cruise Control ON your vehicle is going at the exact same speed - while if you had Cruise Control OFF during this the time to get your foot the brake the vehicle would be slowing down (and not going at the same speed) as the throttle return spring is doing its job - so Cruise Control ON with an auto is a bit unsafe - and most of us are willing to accept this risk.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Could you summarize all that in 1 sentence?
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Any update from Mark B ?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Cruse control 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 pm

rollsroyce250 wrote:
Could you summarize all that in 1 sentence?
No! Smile
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:36 am

So far the Breakaway is working great. I'm really glad I took the extra trouble to install it. I worried that I may not have put enough glue on either the grip ring right under the Breakaway (which would result in it not holding the throttle in place) or under the heated grip - but those fears faded as I continue to ride comfortably. One unexpected little bonus is that I can easily click the lock on to use my right hand to adjust the right mirror while riding and then just click it off to continue riding using the Crampbuster. Pretty much without thinking and it keeps my speed constant - so as to not startle any following cage.

(And last Thursday I switched out my inherited J-Costa (the pins were well past their life expectancy) for an OEM variator with Dr Pulley sliders (24g). The ride is quite different! The revs are way down now, which is really good. But there's a lot more vibration at low speeds which worried me considerably at first. Now I just see it as part of the different 'feel' of the variator (and also because the variator parts are brand new). I expect the vibrations will smooth out a bit over time.)Cruse control 6-inch_steel_ruler[code][img][/img]
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:59 am

The picture I tried to upload in that last post was of the 6-inch steel ruler I bought (and sharpened) to remove my heated grips. I'll try it again here.

[img]Cruse control 6-inch10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cruse control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruse control   Cruse control I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruse control
Page 1 of 1