Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Possible new buyer

Go down 
+13
Dimond
ultralight
scooterboy
papa johns
robert
derekj
viclavigne
"Hi Yo"
Waspie
Meldrew
bigbird
Darkeswinger
tom1169
17 posters
AuthorMessage
tom1169
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I am about to buy a Silver Wing. Been riding since 1966. What are the problem areas I should be concerned with? Are there any? Tom
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Wife, girlfriend, or your job placing so many demands on you that you don't have enough time to ride.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tom1169
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 4:05 pm

The bike I would like to buy is a silver wing. The reason I am not riding is I just sold the Ultra Classic, so I don't have a ride. If I buy a silver wing, are there any problem areas I should know about? Tom
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Being the cynical old bit I am, if you've been riding since 1966 and the Silver Wing has been out since 2001 you must have seen them in dealers showrooms, parked up, out on the road etc. You've probably read plenty of stuff in bike mags about them too, so you must have some idea about them if you're about to buy one.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

tom1169 wrote:
The bike I would like to buy is a silver wing. The reason I am not riding is I just sold the Ultra Classic, so I don't have a ride. If I buy a silver wing, are there any problem areas I should know about? Tom

Main moan is the inadequate stock screen.

Not a biggy, most of us have changed it for something else. Just use the search function at the top of the page and type in 'screen', loads of solutions should appear.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:31 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Possible new buyer 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Tom1169, welcome to the forum. Thanks for introducing yourself. Oh, you didn't do that; just jumped in and expected direct answers to an open ended question. Since you rode an Ultra Classis, I expect you need something to take you to the local watering hole to talk about riding and looking pretty. Silverwing can fill that bill. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-31

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:26 pm

tom1169 wrote:
I am about to buy a Silver Wing. Been riding since 1966. What are the problem areas I should be concerned with? Are there any? Tom
Tom,
I researched this myself before buying my Swing. All bikes have some common pet peeves among owners. All the ones that I heard about have already been mentioned in this thread.

Windshield is a common complaint across the majority of bikes, and the Swing is among them. I went ahead and ordered a Givi windscreen for mine and it is a big improvement.

The next biggest complaint is the battery going dead because the seat wasn't closed properly. You can either take out the bulb, replace the light with a switched light, or just be careful when closing the seat. I just pay attention and close the seat carefullly, haven't had a problem except day 1 when I left it partially unlatched for about an hour.

The only other common complaint that I heard about was front shocks. I haven't touched mine, and don't intend to unless they act up down the road. You may find the ride a little rougher than the Ultra Classic ... or maybe not. I don't have any issues with my ride, its superior to most of the past bikes I've owned.

Some people don't like the linked brakes. I think its just a matter of personal preference on how much control they retain to their brake system. It doesn't bother me, I just hit my brakes as I normally would.

Oh - as a long-time motorcyclist, you will need to break your habit of grabbing the clutch when you brake (no pun intended). The left lever is the rear brakes, and many motorcyclists are so used to the way they hit their brakes that they can unintentionally lock up the rear wheel by grabbing a fistful of non-existant clutch. Be careful, it will take you a little time to adjust to this change.

All in all, the Swing is a very trouble-free bike, great storage, nice amount of power, easy maintenance.

Vic
Back to top Go down
tom1169
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks Vic best answer I heard today. Tom
Back to top Go down
derekj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-08-19

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

have to say thats why i bought mine , i have a few health issues creeping up, so i figured no gear changes and easy maintenance etc goes a long way to a good ride , i hope you enjoy the bike you buy i am loving mine .
And welcome to the forum i find most everyone on here is great.
Derelj
Back to top Go down
http://www.aberdarepark.co.uk
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 2:01 pm

BUY ONE, YOU'LL LOVE IT.
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Reliability is a Honda reputation that is well earned. I have ridden my 07
34,000 and just replaced the rear clutch bearing. The cost was $290 of which $140 was Parts. I have had no other issue. I have changed the oil regularly. Replaced the tires when needed. I have replaced the drive belt. All of which is just scheduled Maintenance. There have been Silver Wings documented on this site go well over 100,000 miles. They have been ridden to Alaska and back. A man in Australia rode on into China and Mongolia. There are several very respected contributors to this site who are daily rider. I find the pictorial Maintenance to be outstanding. If you get a Silver Wing you will feel better over time about spending the Money.
Back to top Go down
scooterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 pm

I bought a left over 2010 a couple months ago and love it. I have owned many motorcycles and believe it or not this is the best and for good reason . 58 mpg , easy to balance with wife an the back storage under seat. no saddle bags sticking out. all the weight is down low. Will go over 100 mph no trouble to keep up with traffic. Great on back roads Little maintance. Buy it you will not be sorry. I found that with a spacer under the rear shock spring will really improve the ride if you have a passenger. Our total weight is about 375 lbs.
Back to top Go down
ultralight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ultralight

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

One of the main problems that my Silver Wing has, besides the stock windshield, is that it can't seem to go the most direct route from point A to B. It, and I, like to roam/wander.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 pm

You will find that you spend a lot of money on gasoline - because you can not stay off it!
Back to top Go down
Latina Wing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Thinkiing of buying Silver Wing. What is the difference between a bike with ABS and a bike without?
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:56 pm

The ABS keeps the brakes from locking up when fully applied which in tests has show that it stops in a shorter distance. This is accomplished automatically through the ABS system that changes pressure on the brake where needed at near light speed. You will feel the pulsation then you apply the brakes at speed. Some consider the ABS system to be a major advance in automotive engineering.
The regular braking system on a non ABS Silver Wing is also engineered for Safety with a linked system where the two brakes front and back are linked so when you grab the front or the back brake separately you are activating the other brake as well but with less pressure.
Both systems are designed to keep you from locking up one brake only.
The linked system is good and the ABS is better. Both work well.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 pm

"Silver Wing is also engineered for Safety with a linked system where the two brakes front and back are linked so when you grab the front or the back brake separately you are activating the other brake as well but with less pressure."
Just to be clear. The linked brakes are only activated with the left brake handle, which is the rear linked to the front. Smile
Back to top Go down
Latina Wing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 7:01 am

Thanks guys on ABS info, I will update on what I come home with today Smile
Back to top Go down
Latina Wing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Well I picked the 2012 Silver Wing with ABS, I traded my 2006 Rebel. What a difference.....so excited
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Possible new buyer 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Smile Congratulations Latina Wing. Enjoy your new ride, but give yourself a little time to adjust to it. Don't pull in that clutch lever to switch gears.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 3:45 am

I had to chuckle about the "clutch lever" advice.

For many years I've had both a motorcycle (long distance touring) and a scooter (daily use) and made both mistakes. I've accidentally pulled on the scooter rear brake to "change gear" & on the motorcycle, occasionally forgotten to use the footbrake: the most dramically memorable was almost standing my Harley on its nose when going "a bit quick" past a speed camera - it flashed but fortunately I'd got my speed down enough - thank heaven for twin discs...!!! :arrow: Embarassed
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 am

Latina, I hope you enjoy your 2012 as much as I am enjoying mine! Going for a day-ride tomorrow! Can't wait! Need to change oil today; got the oil and filter now to do it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Possible new buyer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible new buyer   Possible new buyer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible new buyer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: