Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» My Sliverwind wont run
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 1:23 pm

» Clutch engagement issue
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Chris Olson Today at 12:17 pm

» New radiator needed
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Today at 10:52 am

» New member from Ireland
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Today at 10:50 am

» Corrosion abatement product.
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 11:53 am

» Handguards
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mottza Yesterday at 10:07 am

» Where is the Fan Motor relay located?
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm

» Ultimate 1 up touring machine
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:28 am

» Radiator needed in UK ++ valve clearances video
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Pistolpete811 Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:03 pm

» Rear brake light switch.
Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Toolman Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:33 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
aerosilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing   Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 pm

It maybe cost prohibitive, but I thought I would ask. I have found several good, low mileage Silverwings that did not come with the ABS system.

Has someone researched this? Its only like $500 more when the bike is new.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing   Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Back in the hey-day of the the VW, a dealer in Conn. put a new Bug together from the parts bin, just to prove that he could. The over the counter cost of a new Bug was about $1800 at the time. The cost of the parts bin Bug (dealer cost, not retail) was over $13000. Add the dealer markup, and the parts bin Bug would have been over $18000.

Based on that, the $500 add on at purchase for a factory installed ABS would probably be somewhere in the $5000 range, with all new parts. With junk yard prices, probably half that but with no guarantee that it would work.

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing   Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm

aerosilverwing wrote:
It maybe cost prohibitive, but I thought I would ask. I have found several good, low mileage Silverwings that did not come with the ABS system.

Has someone researched this? Its only like $500 more when the bike is new.

You'll have to search on here but we have discussed this before and the straight answer is yes it is do-able but not practical and very costly IIRC.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing   Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

And No one in that discussion was willing to put in the time and energy and research necessary put a blueprint or tutorial for the conversion together because logically speaking, it is a fool's errand. If you want to prove to yourself that you can do it, then by all means get some personal satisfaction. Otherwise, using your logic, a used Silverwing w/ABS should be about $500 more than a used Silverwing without.
Back to top Go down
aerosilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing   Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Thank you for your responses. I'll keep looking for the factory ABS model.
Back to top Go down

Putting ABS on Non ABS Silverwing
Page 1 of 1