Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa Empty
PostSubject: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of using a 'dry lubricant' inside of the bell housing when I replace my pins. I was reading on another site where some people were using this in the tracks for the rollers, in their stock variator, and it quieted and smoothed out their variator and ride. So I'm wondering if anyone has every done this or thought of this.

I got the idea a few days after watching the video of how the J. Costa works. It seems it would reduce the friction and heat when the pins push against the housing. Since it is a dry lubricant it wouldn't get it messy everywhere and it seems to work great for the stock variators.

So, I'm going to try this but was wanting to know if anyone else heard about this. It seems, since it would reduce the friction, that it may also lower the rpms a little, and maybe improve the mileage. But this is just me thinking about this. I just know that when you reduce friction it seems everything else is happier. What do you think?

Here is the video on how it works. You will see how the pins push the housing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-QqHE0bNjw
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 pm

JeffR
Does the dry lubricant really help on a stock variator?? Hadn't read about that trick before.
Back to top Go down
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Jeff,
I can see how the dry lubricant would make it more "happy" and "efficient" and even "smoother" but I just can't see how the rpm's would drop? You may not need to punch it up as high so you could keep the rpm's lower but the physic's wouldn't change just because roller's were "smoother?"
I'd love to see the other discussions. Are they using the teflon dry lubricant or the 3M dry silicon?
>> Dennis
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:57 pm

DickO & Dennis,

Here is the link about using the dry lubricant in the ramps for the rollers. Daboo was doing this while using the Dr Pulleys sliders but I would think it would work with others too. Read it over and see what you think please.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38286&p=365538&hilit=dry+lubricant#p365538

Just go down about 5 posts or so and look for a post by Daboo. He has a couple of them. The last one lists the type of dry lubricant he used.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks JeffR,
But I think I'll leave well-enough alone until I "have" to get in that area for maintenance some day in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:19 am

Since the "gear ratio" is dependent on parts sliding past each other it stands to reason that less friction in the mechanism would result in different RPMs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:34 am

Other dry lubes:

Dow Corning "321": Molybdenum disulphide and graphite.

Sherline dri-film lube: http://www.sherline.com/7550pg.htm PTFE ("teflon") based. Personally, I'm leery of anything containing PTFE that is not licensed to use the "Teflon" brand name, but who knows?

Looks like you're going to find MoS2, graphite, PTFE or some combination of 2 or 3 of those. MoS2 is great. It's a standard anti-wear ingredient in high quality motor oils and gear oils, such as the Lubro-Moly products that Mercedes diesel owners swear by. However, given the type of materials and the sort of "contact" we're talking about a PTFE product (which is useless in motor oils) might actually be right up our alley.

Damn. This is the sort of thing that drove me to obsessive-compulsive distraction when I owned my VW diesel. Must....resist....urge to experiment!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa   Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using a "Dry Lubricant" in the J. Costa
Page 1 of 1