Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Waterproof Overgloves

Go down 
+4
Waspie
Meldrew
MikeO
craigory
8 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Waterproof Overgloves Empty
PostSubject: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 am

I've searched the forum on this and didn't find anything, so now I'm going to the group. Its starting to get rainy in Northern California, and I'm thinking of getting overgloves to put over my regular gloves. I bought a pair of Olympia Weatherkings, but I'm not sure I'll keep them. I think they might be a bit of overkill. That's why I'm thinking of just getting waterproof overgloves to put over my regular gloves.

Has anyone out there found some good overgloves that really worked? All I've found online are the Fieldsheer OverGlove 2.0, and another called Rain-Off Waterproof Gloves. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Has anyone found something else that worked well for them?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 4:43 am

I have a pair of these:

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/REV_IT_Treo_H2O_Motorcycle_Over_Gloves?sc=19&category=167

I'm not a fan of lobster-claw gloves but they really are very good and they keep out the wind, too.
If you can get them in the States, put them on the list. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 am

I have a couple of pairs of the New Zealand made Rain-Off gloves, one pair of 2+2 fingers lobster claw, and a pair of 1+3 fingers. Like Mike O I'm no fan of lobster claw gloves, but the 2+2 pair fit over my Hein Gericke Pathan 2+2 winter gloves. The 1+3 pair are in the ready bag with my rain suit and go over summer or 3 season gloves and I prefer this pair for dexterity.

The Rain-Off gloves are very well made in a tough material similar to the Rukka rain suits that were de rigeur for touring riders in the 80's. They are heat welded, 100% waterproof, and have a long 5 inch cuff that cinches down with an elasticated cord lock to stop rain seeping in down your wet sleeves. Pulling the Rain-Off's on can be a bit fiddly the first couple of times especially tightening the cord locks, but you soon get the hang of it and then you can ride all day in torrential rain. Rain-Off gloves are a serious piece of kit in your wet weather armoury.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:04 am

Most 'Gore Tex' gloves may fit the bill!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:33 am

Based on my experiences I can't say I've ever been impressed with the waterproof qualities of Gore-Tex gloves. Wear them over the sleeve and water runs down into the glove. Wear them with the cuff inside the sleeve and eventually the leather 'wets out' becomes saturated and despite what is claimed for the wonder membrane you still get wet hands. Even gentle drying of the gloves leaves those white water marks on the leather, and rubbing in a bit of leather dressing onto the gloves to help get a degree of waterproofing back will lose breathability through the leather.

Then when your hands become sweaty they will sometimes stick to the lining and pull it out when taking the gloves off, disturbing the Gore-Tex membrane attatched. The end result being the lining/membrane may not go back in completely to it's original position, and waterproofing is further reduced.

I now give new leather gloves a dose of Nikwax Glove Proof with the sponge applicator, it's a good way of waterproofing them and it claims to maintain breathability and grip. Then if I think the rain is going to be more than a quick shower, I'll cover them with the Rain-Off's.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 am

+1 on the Rain Offs , I first used them in New Zealand where it really knows how to rain and brought a pair back to UK with me. As Meldrew says they are very effective and take up very little storage space.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am

I use a pair of the largest rubber construction gloves I could find. They fit over a pair of non-monster style/size leather riding gloves and are, of course, completely water proof, and an inexpensive option. Available at pretty much any good hardware store, I'd imagine. For the very few times I need them, they work just fine.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am

I should have said that the over-gloves I have slip over my favourite leather Summer gloves and combined with silk inners and wind-deflectors on the bars mean I can delay wearing Winter gloves for shorter journeys until the weather is seriously cold.
They, too, take up very little storage space.

I'm definitely not saying they're the best but they are very good value.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Harley has nice Rain Gloves----fingers stay dry....but if you take them off and hands get wet, hard to get back one. I always carry many pairs of gloves/mitts and can usually get thru 8 hr day of rain with little suffering.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Waterproof Overgloves   Waterproof Overgloves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm using the Olympia Cold Throttle glove. It may be too warm for your needs in California, but it has some features I definitely like.

The most important one for me in the rain, is the gauntlet. The opening is large enough to get over the cuffs on my jacket. There's an elastic pull to cinch up the opening after you get it on. I use handlebar muffs in the winter to keep my hands warm and dry, so I haven't really tried the gloves when exposed to rain to see if that cinch will keep water out. But if anything will, this will.

Plus, the part on the back of the hand that you close up the wrist with, is velcro.

These two things on the gloves are simple, but effective. Both the gauntlet cinch and the velcro adjustment are easy to use with gloves on.

Chris
Back to top Go down

Waterproof Overgloves
Page 1 of 1