Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!

Go down 
+8
Old Limey
GaryL
john grinsel
KurtPerthWA
honda_silver
FlyingWing
"Hi Yo"
Waspie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! Empty
PostSubject: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 4:48 pm

New tyre fitted last week at 12k service.

Ever since i have had to regularly top up the air to the point on a couple of occassions there has been less than 5 psi!!! On one occassion the steering was so sluggish and heavy I was struggling to control the bike.

Looked for any signs of a puncture - none!

Checked the top of the valve for any air escaping - none!

Checked again today - flat!!! Few swear words at this point, feel free to add your own at this stage!! Twisted Evil

Looked at the base of the valve, where it meets the wheel. drop of spittle around the joint.

Guess what? Yes, air bubbling out. So it will be phone calls to the garage tomorrow and have them recover the 'Wing', repair and return my beast.

Now I have to use the car for a day or so. Not happy!! Evil or Very Mad

Tyre fitters! Don't they QA anything they do?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Waspie wrote:

They always check to make sure your payment is good. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 5:14 pm

"Hi Yo" wrote:
Waspie wrote:

They always check to make sure your payment is good. Smile

They certainly check the cheque!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 5:40 pm

gald u found the problem before it caused problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Waspie wrote:
Looked at the base of the valve, where it meets the wheel. drop of spittle around the joint.

Guess what? Yes, air bubbling out. So it will be phone calls to the garage tomorrow and have them recover the 'Wing', repair and return my beast.

Have you thought of switching valve stems??
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Waspie, I have the same problem on my MuZ. If you have EVER used that "slimey" type stuff it may have damaged the rim(Some of them attack alloys) If some of this stuff gets between the valve stem and the grommet it will slowly deteriorate the alloy allowing air to escape at the valve. Thats where mine started, so in ignorance I put in more slime and turned the wheel with the valve at the top in order for it to drip onto the valve stem. Over the years my rim is so badly eroded and pitted especially on the bead seats I now have to run with tubes.
Always check to see if this stuff is suitable for alloys. It may be in the fine print.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 am

Although your bike appears to not have high mileage----valves stems need to be replaced from time to time----you might try deflating tire, squirt a little WD 40 around base of valve, move it around a little to re-seat. But if it is fancy after market valve, I have no answer----problem as I recall on installing new valve you start from inside of wheel----means as least breaking bead if not removing wheel from scooter.

In spite of it being a pain in rear, I prefer doing own tire work.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 am

The only flat tire I have ever experienced on a bike (knock on wood) was due to the same leaky tire stem that Waspie describes. This was on a two year old GoldWing. The steering started to get really heavy, so I stopped and had a look. I was close to a local Honda dealer, so I aired it up at the local gas station and rode it over. An hour later I was on my way. However, since then I have always specified that the valve stem be replaced whenever the tire is changed. small moped
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Waspie I told you. DO not trust anyone else with your bike. When i took my wheel in for tyre change i watched carefully. Tyre taken off correctly.Rim cleaned. New valve fitted. New tyre correctly fitted and wheel balanced and pressure set to my order. Your life depends on all things on your bike working correctly,I know its under warranty but, does the dealer care about your safety or, a quick turn around in his workshop? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks for your responses guys.

Regards the valve stems. In my naivety I really thought the stem was changed as a matter of course. All the dedicated tyre fitters I use do so. This was a Honda agent this time as I tied in the service and tyre change for convenience.

They collected the bike tonight and gave my wife a sob story about no mechanics, one walked, one's wife is having a baby and the last one is sick - Aren't we all, sick of poor maintenance standards. Don't much care about there problems, I am a paying customer and want what I paid for - a serviceable Honda.

Old Limey I know what you mean about doing the work your self. However I am tied into having the 'Wing' serviced by Honda as I took out the extended warranty.

Hopefully back on two serviceable wheels shortly!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Doug,

I don't know what to tell you but when you find an answer please tell me. My wife's car tire has been doing this since the last time we put a new tire on. They keep saying nothing is wrong. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 9:05 pm

"Waspie",
Won't your extended warranty still be valid if you show proper paper work from other maintenance business houses, or even performed by yourself if proper materials were used and documented?? I "think" that's the way it is over 'here'. (as from my own extended warranty experience from Ford Motor Company)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 am

JeffR, I am with BigBird on your tire problem. Working at an auto dealership and we have seen a lot of tires leak around the rim. Sometimes those little nubs get pinched right at the rim. Might be best to remove tire and lay it down. Get a little water all around the rim and look for the bubbles. Best guess....hope you find the problem. J.R.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!   I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 11:44 am

Terry & J.R.,

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad that her car has one of those fancy indicators that tell us when the tire is low. It is supposed to have 36 psi and it seems when the light comes on it is down to 24 psi. We have taken it to the shop 2 times and they say all is well. I will take it in this weekend to have the tire reseated and a new valve put in. It happens about every 2 weeks now and my wife only drives about 200 miles a week. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

I'm Annoyed!! Very Annoyed!!!!
Page 1 of 1