Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fog on the face shield

Go down 
+6
honda_silver
BlackFly
Waspie
Daboo
toolboxjesse
johnd
10 posters
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Fog on the face shield Empty
PostSubject: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 am

FOG
I have tried the inserts used on the face shield and the soft rubber like piece that fits into the front inside part of the helmet and nothing seams to work. The Fog city insert worked for a short period of time before it came off and the part that fits just below your nose only makes the fogging worse. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 am

I just bought a small spray bottle of anti-fog at a scooter dealer. It was $3.95 and works perfectly on my glasses and the inside of my face shield.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 am

Try dishwashing soap. The glycerin in the soap that cuts grease, is the same ingredient in many anti-fog products. Cost is minimal and it works.

Just put a few drops on the face shield, smear it evenly and let it dry. Buff it out so it is clear with a soft cloth.

I put it on half my face shield and I used RainX Anti-Fog on the other half. It worked just as well...but cost so little, it is almost free.

Chris
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am

You are all GREAT! thanks so much for the ideas. I will try the soap one today.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:16 pm

The only way I have found that works for me is a 'Pin Lock' insert. Similar to Fog City but of way better quality.

The dish washing soap etc are in the realms of old wives tales and do not work. I even tried the stuff the military use on the inside of gas masks and that worked for a very short time before fogging resumed.

I have had the Pin Lock system in my Arai helmet for over 4 years. It acts similar to double glazing and must be fitted correctly or else you will not get a gap between the layers. I regularly remove it for cleaning and it has not lost any of its properties.

Even if your helmet doesn't come fitted for a Pin Lock there is a version that you buy that requires you to drill two holes in your visor to accept the pins that locate the insert. The insert then 'locks' into position and forms the seal necessary to prevent fogging.

Link - http://www.pinlockshop.co.uk/category-pl/pinlock-diy-kits#
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 1:28 pm

I also vote for the Pinlocks. I'm very happy with this and it working great!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 2:15 pm

I try not to breathe on my face mask and try, try to take only one breath every fifteen miles. !!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 3:11 pm

u p tom wrote:
I try not to breathe on my face mask and try, try to take only one breath every fifteen miles. !!

Yup, I can see that would work. You could try the snorkel method, but excessive speeds may cause the air to be sucked out rather than breathed in. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm

u p tom wrote:

scratch

How fast do you have to drive to do that rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Wear open face 3/4 helmet----Fulmer makes one with face shield that can be used on open highway and works well in slow traffic up. Seeing is important to me.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 am

john grinsel wrote:
Seeing is important to me.

I imagine it's pretty high on most folks list of priorities when riding John.

It's not a discussion regards type of helmet but more how to get rid of the dreaded fogging! Changing helmet isn't always an option when faced with no visibility inside one's lid!! Wink
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 am

The stuff i used is called Kleer Vu. I spray it on and wipe it off a few seconds later, and reapply every few days to my glasses and bottom of my shield.

This morning for my 45 mile commute it was 26 degrees F. I have a Pinlock insert in my HJC full face helmet. Before Kleer Vu my shield would fog up just below the Pinlock and of course my glasses were always fogging if the visor wasn't cracked open. Now I am getting no fog at all. Not bad for $4 and it should last me at least through the winter.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 7:33 am

Jesse, the area around my Pin Lock mists up too, especially at the bottom edge, mainly due to the exhalation of air when breathing. (I am not yet adept at holding my breath for 15 miles - training on going for that hurdle!!! Laughing ).

However the Pin Lock does ensure that vision is impaired directly in front of me. Strangely, I have never suffered from my glasses misting up at all!!!!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:22 am

My point-----cold/bad weather/rain----full helmets don't seem to work so well----with Visor thus my take on 3/4.

Yesterday cold, probably never over 40 F even in sun---Ran into snow in Smokey Mts. National Park-----NT with properly adjusted windshield, open face, long bill helmet----no fogging or sight problems---my experience with full helmets in trying conditions=fogging problems.

Yes I know full might be better in get off....but idea to me to prevent get off/crash. Having no distractions for sight/fog works pretty good.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:29 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:42 am

Sounds like US government logic.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 am

Old wives tales? Old unwise tales is more like it. rolling laughter I tried the dish washing soap and all it did was clean. I will look into the Pin lock next.
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I will jump in and give my recommendation for the pin lock as well - tried the anti-fogging sprays for my HJC Modular helmet and nothing seemed to work - local dealer explained the pin lock to me and threw in a free pin lock shield with the order for my HJC shield with the pin lock mounts. Rode to the STO Rally in AR in 53 degree temps and rain all the way with minimal fogging. Out a few weeks back on local ride with temps starting a 30 degrees and had good results.

I will agree with John that the 3/4 helmet works better with regard to fogging in comparison with the modular - members of our scooter group that wear the 3/4 don't have much problem with fogging.

Just my two cents.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 1:23 pm

RickV wrote:
I will agree with John that the 3/4 helmet works better with regard to fogging in comparison with the modular - members of our scooter group that wear the 3/4 don't have much problem with fogging.

Just my two cents.

Rick V

A 3/4 helmet will not suffer fogging as there is no temperature diferential between the two sides of the visor. It also receives an airflow that will keep the inside clear of any condensation. With full face or enclosed helmet systems the atmosphere inside will differ from the outside air temperature and as such condensation will occur. A mini eco system if you like.

The Pin Lock system forms a double glazing effect by creating an air gap between the visor and the second inner see through insert, it uses a raised lip to create the gap and the pins at either side lock the inner plastic visor in place. The Fog City relies on a sticky contact around the perimeter of the insert, the insert regularly coming unstuck and allows the visor to fog.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Fog on the face shield 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Fog on the face shield   Fog on the face shield I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:11 pm

However the Pin Lock does ensure that vision is impaired directly in front of me. The cagers must use that Pin Lock system Smile
Back to top Go down

Fog on the face shield
Page 1 of 1