Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter

Go down 
+3
DaveR
DickO
JeffR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi,

I replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter yesterday and went for a 50 mile ride and it seems to run nicer. I removed the K&N air filter a few weeks ago so I could clean the K&N but just never had time to re-install it until yesterday. The OEM filter was clean, with only about 3,000 miles, but I did notice that the bike seemed to "bog" down with it. Once I installed the K&N it seemed that the bike was getting more air and ran a bit smoother. So, I really think the K&N does work and provides more air then the stock one.

The entire process only took about an hour and I should have done this sooner but have been very busy. The ride was nice and very scenic and I take this ride many times a month. I also am able to take this ride home from work at least once a week and the roads are nice and can have some twisties too. It makes me feel like I'm not in the bay area with all the traffic and houses all around. It is like I'm in the country somewhere. I should have taken some pics but I didn't bring my camera. But it was great to get out on a nice relaxing ride, even if only for an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi JeffR,
Have you drilled additional air inlet holes in your air cleaner housing?? I've read that some have done that to let in even more air.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Dick,

I was thinking of doing that but I didn't. I kept looking at the housing and thinking that it is in such great shape still that I didn't have the guts to drill holes in it. I really think I will though soon. I can't remember if the person said that he improved his mileage though. Can you remember the outcome of him drilling holes? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

JeffR,
Just did a search on SilverWing.Org under "air filter" and came up with paul_scooter's comments on his housing mods. Said he had 'maybe' noticed a mile or two increase because of the holes being drilled. 'Course, he's like many who have done a lot of performance mods, so he wasn't completely sure. Anyway, he started out with 3 holes (don't know what size) and worked his way up to 'many'. It's a good read on the other site. If you do it, please let us all know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 am

Dick,

Thanks. I will go there and look it up. I know I read it but couldn't figure out where. I just may do that in a couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 11:30 am

At my Honda store, they show 3 different spark plugs for the Silverwing. What one is the best. I have 47000 smiles on mine now.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 11:39 am

I used the Iridium just because they last the longest and hold their gap better. But as long as the plug is for the SWing they all work fine. The OEM ones need to be checked or changed very 8,000 miles I think. I could be wrong on that though.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Jeff you are correct. Honda wants the plugs changed at 8K. I did mine in the SWing only because I have the 5 year extended warranty. Installed the NGK Iridium plugs and have been very happy with them. But in reality the OEM plugs look nearly new when removed at 8K. No way is it needed that soon IMHO.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 5:49 pm

I changed my plugs at 8,000 miles as per OEM requirements. I am now at 53,000+ miles and still on the set I put in at 8,000 miles. I have checked them a few times and they still looked fine, I'll check them next time I replace the belt. I keep the ones I took out at 8,000 miles under the seat just incase I have a problem but I don't think I will. I've thought about using Iridium plugs and some day I may.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 7:05 pm

If you guys are getting the miles on your standard plugs there is no reason to try the iridium plugs IMO. I just tried them just in case the OEM plugs didn't last that long. I checked mine about every 8,000 miles and they were doing good. I did a "Pictorial" on the spark plugs in case anyone needs to know how to do it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 8:04 am

I used your pictorial Jeff (thanks for it too). I switched to Iridium for two reasons:

1. I thought the install would be more difficult than it was and wanted longer lasting plugs.

2. Got a good price on the NGK Iridiums so were nearly the same price as OEM from Honda.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I went with the "standard" plugs that I have been putting in it. I have been pleased with it's operation and of course the fuel...well...it's a Silverwing. At 50 mpg I am alright. With my big self and all my gear, its a lot for the little 'beast' to carry. Razz
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 5:26 pm

Took a long ride today so now I'm up to 54,250 miles, minus the 8,000 when I changed so 46,250 miles on the plugs I'm running now.
Off topic but I had a great half pound grouper sandwich for $14 in the middle of our ride. I sure like living in Florida. Smile
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

When the time comes to change mine, I'll be getting Iridium plugs for the job.

also O. T.
I had grouper sandwiches a couple times when I was down in Naples FL. riding my little red Reflex scooter. I would like fresh grouper for lunches up here in MI, but it's too far for them to swim and they just don't know how to get up to cross any streets. scratch
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter   Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 4:11 am

I put Iridium in mine last summer & I'm fairly sure there has been an increase in fuel economy since, only fairly sure as I don't very often check consumption Embarassed
Back to top Go down

Replaced my spark plugs and re-installed my K&N air filter
Page 1 of 1