Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 2:07 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 12:14 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 12:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:29 pm

» peace, love and life
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
More about trailering I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

More about trailering

Go down 
+7
dspevack
tubeck
MikeO
tarmacburner2
"Hi Yo"
wingmann
Tom G
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

More about trailering Empty
PostSubject: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:45 pm

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am trailering my Swing to Florida in December. All replies that I have received have been very helpful, but I have one more question.

I'm going to load my Swing back end forward so as to weight the trailer tongue for optimum towing.

With the Swing uncovered, and towing it with wind hitting the windshield from the "wrong" direction I am wondering if this might damage or "snap" the windshield?

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions regarding this situation.

Thanks,

Tom Gerber

Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Take the windshield off if you need to hall it backword on the trailer if you leave the windshield on YOU WILL BRAKE IT and maybe some other plastic that is next to the windshield may brake when the windshield brakes. Sad
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
More about trailering 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:41 pm

This is an interesting question. I've read of others who moved the trailer wheels back for better balance, but I would be reluctant to haul the bike "backward" at highway speeds. What about adding weight to the front of the trailer for better balance? I'm thinking a couple of bags of play sand placed at the front, I have no experience in this area, but I'm sure we have some loadmasters on here who will "weigh" in. Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 am

A lot will depend on the configuration of your trailer. My trailer has the wheels approx two and a half feet from the rear, the total length of the trailer is nine feet so the trailer doesn't waggle (or snake) when being towed. The bed of the trailer is seven foot long so bikes / scooters sit comfortably on it. The weight is always nose heavy. Small trailers with the wheels in the middle are the ones that you see waggling all over the road.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 1:38 am

To help add weight to the front of the trailer get a drop hitch if you have a recever hitch on your truck and run the front of the trailer lower then the back of the trailer.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 am

IMO you dont need to physically drop the trailer to make it nose heavy. Mine is nose heavy purely because of the position of the wheels. If the bed of the trailer is level then it is much easier getting a scooter off.
As regards to putting the scppter on facing backwards there is the disadvantage that water and other rubbish can get directed into the engine area etc whareas if it is forward facing then the tupperware is able to do it's normal job and deflect all the rain (snow). Plus it saves having to remove / refit the screen.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 am

Yes, wheels towards the back is the key.
I had the pleasure of towing a 22' boat-trailer with my truck on a number of occasions.
It had 4 wheels ¾ of the way back and towed like a dream; it was also very easy to manoeuvre in reverse.
I have pictures somewhere - I'll post a couple when I find them.
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Many thanks to all of you. I will not tow my Swing backwards for all the good reasons given. However, because of money invested so far, I will probably do what Hi Yo suggested, put the SW on forward, and add ballast in from of trailer to proportion tongue weight.

But the best idea is from Tarmacburner about a trailer with wheels near the rear (MikeO too).

Does anyone know where a trailer so described can be found here in the Colonies?

I was advised against taking windshield off by the dealer
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Is there a trac for the wheels to sit in so it does not kick out? If not I have holes in the floor of the trailer to tie the wheels still. All the tie downs are worthless if the wheels kick side ways, slacks the ties and the bike falls
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:32 pm

My trailer has a flatbed. Down the centre I have a length of plastic square roof guttering (no idea what you call it over the pond) and some strips of wood. Makes loading and unloading the scooter much easier as it cant wander off centre. When I have slackened off the tie down straps enough I can put the side stand down so it can't fall over.

Here is a link to ebay so you can see what I mean by square section guttering.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brown-SQUARE-Guttering-and-Fittings-/270783772894?pt=UK_BOI_Ceilings_Walls_Roofing_ET&var=&hash=item84b824c16a

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:46 pm

There is another possibility.
Plastic wrap...the same thing they use to wrap stacks of boxes on pallets so they dont fall off.
If you can wrap your bike front to back by going around the bike and eventually from under the wing to the windshield and back, then on putting it on the trailer in reverse you would get a teardrop configuration, with the narrow end (wing) in the front and the wide part of the tear in the back. How long this would work...dunno. No experience. However it is aerodynamic if done right.
You would think the same thing could be achieved with a bike cover, but they don't fit over the bike snuggly enough to make it that aerodynamic.

Dan
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:36 pm

What are you towing the trailer with? If it is a big motor-home type vehicle then the scooter is probably going to be travelling in a bubble of comparatively still air so aerodynamically it shouldn't be a problem. Good idea to wrap it in clingfilm though as that will save a lot of cleaning and protect the tupperware.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:39 pm

We just call them rain gutters hear.

Last edited by model28a on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 pm

We actually refer to it as 'Natural precipitation catchment poly vinyl chloride channel'. I was just trying to make it easier for you colonials over the pond. chickendance :lol!:

Cheers
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:13 pm

in metal a "channel" is 3 sided. I have two 18" steel channels with holes that match drilled holes in the trailer deck. removable for general use. easier to load into than one long piece. I think using aluminum guttering may not be strong enough
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm

The channel sits on top of the flatbed. It is just a guide and doesn't have to support any weight. Just the last 12" of the flatbed (front end) has the channel, the rear end has strips of wood to act as guides. If I need to all the pieces are simply removed by unsrewing the self tappers and I have a completely flat flatbed.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-06

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 9:14 am

I had no problems pulling my SW on a U-Haul motorcycle trailer and the rental was about $25 a day. The cage pulled it nicely for the over 1k miles going to/from the recent wedding and vacation. No worries about a squirrel trailer at all and it comes with a ramp and nice tie-down points. All you need is your bike, straps to tie down, and pulling vehicle - a Sonata in my case. The extra handlbar strap is worth the money. Be sure the trunk is empty though or tied down because I lost a glove on the highway while pulling the bike when the wind lifted the seat after being jostled on the road for several hours.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-28

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 5:40 am

Well, I definitely will start pulling my SWing when I take long trips. The cage will have no problems and the bike will definitely be in the slipstream (Ford F150 with a bed cap) All my gear will be in the truck so no flyaways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More about trailering   More about trailering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More about trailering
Page 1 of 1