Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silver Wing Theft Risk?

Go down 
+29
mondodemundo
GoonerKev
sc00ter
Sepp
Loosemarbles
Meldrew
Delray
Easyrider
exavid
PHXScooterBill
joncallihan
matthew
spike
scootingranny
bikerboy
honda_silver
jobo2mi
Winger61
MikeO
Waspie
goldwinger
Daboo
AAAA
"Hi Yo"
bigbird
john grinsel
GaryL
bob wells
SilverwingInIdaho
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Since my used silver wing is new to me I am paranoid it might get stolen.

Are my fears un founded. Any simple ways to discourage theft?

I am taking to to work this week end on the grave yard shift in the Hospital ER. We have a roving security guard and it's in a 55,000 mid size town in North Central Idaho.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Dibber
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dibber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 9:57 pm

I alway lock the forks. In shady areas I also run a cable lock over the seat and through the rear wheel. If you can you can try to lick your scooter to a post of some kind too. All you can do is make it harder for the thief to take.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 11:56 pm

I don't mind licking ice cream cones but I draw the line at a Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 am

I'm amazed. I've never heard of many scooters being stolen. It's different with motorcycles, I've seen a few reports of them being stolen over the years but scooters I'm not worried about mine being stolen. I do put on the parking brake, and lock the handlebars when I park it in public areas but I really don't think there's much risk of it being taken by anyone. It might be a problem in big cities but I avoid those like the plague anyway.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 am

Another way of looking at this is, there's occasional posts from Silver Wing owners who have difficulty getting it on and off the main stand, and others have to ask about how to the start the engine once the ignition is switched on, seemingly clueless about squeezing the front brake.

So what chance do you think an opportunist thief with no maxi scooter experience would have if he came across an unlocked Silver Wing with the keys in and the parking brake on? scratch
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Another way of looking at this is, there's occasional posts from Silver Wing owners who have difficulty getting it on and off the main stand, and others have to ask about how to the start the engine once the ignition is switched on, seemingly clueless about squeezing the front brake.

So what chance do you think an opportunist thief with no maxi scooter experience would have if he came across an unlocked Silver Wing with the keys in and the parking brake on? scratch

When I first got my Swing, I kept driving off with the parking brakes on. Eventually wearing the pads thin. The parking brakes are only good for holding your bike from rolling due to gravity. I still use the parking brakes. Only now it is an auto response to release the brakes.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 4:02 pm

As veteran of 2 new SilverWings and over 90,000 miles with them.....in US/N America there is little fear of somebody stealing a SilVerWing…..as they have little used value and are now old.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 pm

I take that personally... I'm old. But then it's unlikely anyone would steal me.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 am

I may have mentioned this before but modern motorcycle thieves generally 'lift' them into a van so disc locks and wheelchains are pretty useless. Even if you chain the bike to something immovable they will simply 'dremmel' the chains free in seconds.

Having said that, I agree with the comments above that large scooters are not really on the 'hot list'. I am of the mind that if they're going to take it, I won't make it easy for them.
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 7:54 pm

Sepp wrote:
5 words
Center Stand Anti Theft Device
Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 Malaguti+spidermax+center+stand+anti+theft+device

http://malaguti-spidermax.blogspot.com/2010/08/center-stand-anti-theft-device.html

Hello Sepp,

Like you, I wouldn't knock it. My first ride was a 50cc tao tao clone, and I had it and financed it for a year ( still an employee ), sad thing was, soon as it was paid up, the bike was stolen. Now I didn't lock it all the time with the cable like I should have, but i did cover it all the time. was taken anyway.

So I'm curious about this center stand lock, and did a quick google search, and can't seem to find one. Mind you, I don't have a SW yet, but I'm learning what I need to put together for once I get it, how to keep it safe. I currently live in Central Florida, but intend to move back to Daytona, and I'm thinking of doing long drives in it.

If you can, would you mind sending a link for this product, so that I can look into it further?

Thanks,

Ron V.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 pm

"I currently live in Central Florida, but intend to move back to Daytona"

I live in South Florida. I've owned three Silver Wings here (and a Burgman and two BMW scooters) and parked them all over the state, day and night, and never locked one a single time. I am more concerned that someone will pilfer my RAM mounts (nope). The Wing may be a popular theft target in Jolly Ol', but I wouldn't worry here.

That said, I am insured, not careless. I pay less than $100 a year and coverage includes theft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing Theft Risk?    Silver Wing Theft Risk?  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silver Wing Theft Risk?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2