Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

silver wing oil change pics

Go down 
+7
model28a
redeye
Gar Gentry
"Hi Yo"
SilverwingInIdaho
JeffR_
DennisB
11 posters
AuthorMessage

silver wing oil change pics Empty
PostSubject: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 11:03 am

hi, new to the site. i have an '02 silver wing scoot that i wanted to perform my own oil/filter change on. in researching where oil pan drain plug is--most indicate it's a 22 or 24mm bolt, hex "underneatah" the right side of the motor, down under the dip stick area. another post had a pop up pic showing it on the "side" of the engine housing, next to and a little lower than the dip stick area. which is correct? any one have pics or video of them doing an oil change? thanks. john
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 am

It's on the very bottom of the motor. Just a note: If you try to remove the oil drain plug with a 12 point socket...PLEASE DON'T. Aways use 6 point sockets on the Swing. Many have stripped out this plug with a 12 point wrenches and sockets. Best to use 6 point the first time. sunny
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 1:06 pm

John,

Here is a pictorial on how I did it.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t161-oil-changing-pictorial

The drain plug is just about under the oil stick where you fill the crankcase with oil. Like Dennis said, use a 6 pt socket since I stripped mine once to the point I had to take it in to the shop to have them get it off. I would do your best to clean off all of the oil from the drain plug so the socket doesn't slip off. I'm surprised that the drain plug isn't deeper so a socket can get a better hold on it. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm

What's best a Socket Wrench or a Socket with driver?

Can anyone recommend a specific make and model of wrench I might find on Ebay?

I have an oil leak that might be as simple as a lose plug but i don't have a socket to fiddle with and see.

Mike
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
silver wing oil change pics 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 pm

When I pulled up JeffR's pictorial (thank you Jeff), I also read through the comments. That way I learned the use of a 24mm 6 point socket ,which I could get at AutoZone, was the way to go. I'm a firm believer in learning from those with experience. It gives confidence and puts less money in the "cuss jar".
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am

I too saw that conversation and had looked up the wrench on ebay days ago but I came back and could not locate it again. I pulled out all the on board tools and found none of them fit the drain plug.

"Hi Yo" wrote:
When I pulled up JeffR's pictorial (thank you Jeff), I also read through the comments. That way I learned the use of a 24mm 6 point socket ,which I could get at AutoZone, was the way to go. I'm a firm believer in learning from those with experience. It gives confidence and puts less money in the "cuss jar".
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:22 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
have an oil leak that might be as simple as a lose plug but i don't have a socket to fiddle with and see.

Mike
Mike, make sure the O ring is on the plug. It shows clearly on the pictorial.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:30 am

I gave it a good wiping down today and ran the engine a few then tunred off to check oil level. It's good level and the oil is clean. I really don't think it needs an oil change. I will wait a day or two and see if any new oil pools up under there. Might only happen after a ride?

Is this the kind of wrench I need and is it a fair price?

Ebay Auction# 370537090532

Mike
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:31 am

Double post sorry
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Changed oil in crankcase and final drive yesterday at 3,200 miles on my Swing. At 600 miles I changed the break-in oil and the factory filter was so tight that the end-cap tool in JeffR's pictoral just stripped over the grips at the end of the filter. Had to buy a channel lock wrench and it was still a hassle. Apparently the original filter was installed dry and too tight. So yes, always slick up the new filter gasket with fresh oil before installing.
Changed out the final drive oil also. There was a lot of suspended metallic particles but that probably is not unusual.
The rear end holds exactly 320 ml (cc's) of oil before it drains out the filler hole.

silver wing oil change pics Dscn1927
Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:35 pm

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
Is this the kind of wrench I need and is it a fair price?

Ebay Auction# 370537090532

This is the wrench that I posted in another thread after purchasing and using it for my most recent oil change. It's the correct size and does not touch any other part of the Silver Wing when loosening and tightening the tappet from the right side. With free shipping, the total cost seemed reasonable to me. I prefer using this wrench over a socket; but the choice is yours.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 pm

The 17MM end looks different in the photo.Is it thicker or what?
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I can't find that wrench on e-bay. Wish I could. that looks like the perfect oil filter wrench. If anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know. Thanks!!! That is what is so great about this forum, always new tools and ideas and always someone to help you!
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm

model28a wrote:
The 17MM end looks different in the photo.Is it thicker or what?
The wrench has uniform thickness from end to end. From the photo on the eBay listing, I can see why one might believe it's thicker on the 17mm end.

The photo may not be the exact item. The taper from the middle of the wrench to each end seems more gradual on my wrench than in the picture. The picture appears to depict a noticeable transition point from the middle of the wrench to each end.

Also, the actual wrench's handle is ever so slightly (not sure this is the right word here) beveled. It's not perfectly flat, but nearly so.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Wis... go to ebay and do a search in the search window for 370537090532 .

I looked two days ago and saw that there were three available.

Good luck.

Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Shown below are two views of the 24mm 6 point oil drain plug wrench received from eBay.

silver wing oil change pics Wrench
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I bought one so should only be two left Smile
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: The Easiest Oil Filter Wrench   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Guys, for cryin' out loud! I can't believe all this talk about "special wrenches" from this source or that! Go to wallyworld, down the tool aisle, find a Stanley 12" Channel Lock pliers and be done with it! The wrench has a thousand other uses too! What was it - 7? 8 dollars?
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 10:33 pm

I went to wal mart and did not see anything other then tools that would strip out the oil Drain plug.

I have an oil leak that seems to be from the plug but put the new wrench on it and it was not going to losen or tighten without some extra force.

Have it going to the shop in two days for an oil change and will ask them to address the leak.

Is it just a matter or replacing some rubber on the drain plug?

Mike
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Bigbird said use a 24mm six point socket on the drain plug. Others used a twelve point socket and stripped the plug. The repair shop is happy for you to use the wrong tools. Extra labor to undo and then fix the problem. I think all the information we need has been posted and pictorials done for oil change. "READ IT FOR YOURSELF'. It's your scooter. If you want to put ribbon cane syrup in it; go ahead. This forum is very good about giving pros and cons from experienced riders. Myself, I'll listen to them. I make enough mistakes all by myself. A little research and a shop manual can answer a lot of questions. " But a manual is so expensive", you say. Yes and what does your local shop charge for labor? OK, Sunday is almost over so I'll quit preaching. Ushers, pass the collection plates. Y"all ride safe. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 am

Hey Gary, I found one at Harbor Frieght Sales for just $5.99. Thanks for the reply.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Just a note on the new wrench I bought to deal with the Silver wing's oil drain plug. An added bonus for me is the 17mm end fits on my JM star Silverwing copy Smile
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 am

What does the Variator bolt adjust? Where located?
Back to top Go down
EasyRider SilverWinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Okay so here's my 2 cents.
First.........thanks to JeffR for the helpful photos and DennisB for the 6 point warning and a multitude of Wisers......no not the Wiskey.... although I do have one adjacent to me as I write......excusez-moi........aaah where was I....oh yes.....I mean all the helpful related comments and detailed links to viscosity and 5W30, 10W30 and 10W40 and such. In the end I used a synthetic 10W40 by AMSOL as it was available and I had good success circuit racing my old TR6 by following "when everything else is equal, use what you can get your hands on"
Easy

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:20 am

Easy,

I'm glad the pictorial helped and made it a bit easier. I don't usually worry too much about the viscosity but do use synthetic, but just for peace of mind. I think it is hard to hurt these Swings.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Bump for our new member in Toronto. I located it by going to search in the top tool bar and typing in "oil change pdf". The first reply by JeffR should give you the pdf, but their is other info such as using a six point socket that can save headaches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: silver wing oil change pics   silver wing oil change pics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

silver wing oil change pics
Page 1 of 1