Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Balancing Rear Wheel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Balancing Rear Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 am

Anybody else have trouble finding a shop that can balance the rear wheel on the Swing? Even my local Honda dealer can't balance it.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:35 am

Did you buy the new tire from them? The reason I asked was when I had a old Harley, the H-D dealership would not mount the tire or balance the wheel unless you purchased the tire form them. Come to find out it is a legal problem.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 am

thomphoto wrote:
Anybody else have trouble finding a shop that can balance the rear wheel on the Swing?
Are you trying to statically (slow speed) balance or dynamically (high speed machine) balance??

I mounted a new front tire on a Harbor Freight and some had a static No-Mar tire balancer ( http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/9 ). They were able to get the balancing close but near the end it appeared to give conflicting information so it was declared "close enough"

Later I researched and purchased a static Marc Parnes balancer ( http://www.marcparnes.com/Motor_Scooter_Wheel_Balancer.htm SLW ) which I found to be very simple and very sensitive. I have balanced two tires on it ( 1 front and 1 rear darkside ), both times I was able to completely balance the tire till there was zero movement regardless of where you started the tire.

thomphoto wrote:
Even my local Honda dealer can't balance it.
My Honda dealer was able to balance my tires before I did them myself.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 am

DennisB wrote:
Did you buy the new tire from them? The reason I asked was when I had a old Harley, the H-D dealership would not mount the tire or balance the wheel unless you purchased the tire form them. Come to find out it is a legal problem.

It's nothing to do with whether I buy the tire from them or not, it's that their equipment won't accomodate the rear wheel.
I bought the tires from a cycle shop locally, and he's the one who could not balance the rear. His balancer would not fit the wheel. He did the front with no problem.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 am

Was it an issue with the diameter of the axel hole or the width of the rear hub he was having a problem with?
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:39 am

No prob here
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 am

Right on most Honda Dealers not being able (equipment) to balance scooter rear wheels-----but then...of course most don't balance smaller scooter tires anyway.

Using my 30 year old Hein Gericke static balance stand----remembering as I recall hole in SilverWing wheel is big-----I got pretty good static balance #1 new IRC tire---ran pretty good #2 OEM after repair #3 IRC back on after another OEM repair. All required some added weights and as bike went down road smoothly, guess I got it right

While what I did is not scientific---worked with some care. Over the recent years I have found tires from Taiwan require the least amount of added weight and often can be balanced adding none by moving tire on rim. Uniform build quality,

Looking back at Vespa years...don't think balance was worried about---Honda Helix never worried about balance on 10" rear.....and I had 4 Helix and did lots of miles on them (well over 160,000 miles), but did balance 12" fronts.

Just a little added: I guess designers never do their own tire work---70 aspect ratio are real bear to get off rim without tire machine-----but I bought longer 24" tire irons and heavier rubber hammer for these jobs.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:33 pm

DennisB wrote:
Was it an issue with the diameter of the axel hole or the width of the rear hub he was having a problem with?

The width of the rear hub.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Rear Wheel   Balancing Rear Wheel I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balancing Rear Wheel
Page 1 of 1