Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Leaving key in the lock

Go down 
+7
dspevack
roadrunner
joncallihan
Opalsboy
honda_silver
DennisB
the7smiths
11 posters
AuthorMessage
the7smiths
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
the7smiths

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Leaving key in the lock Empty
PostSubject: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

Okay we don't need to hear how stupid this is but remembering to pull that darn key out of the storage compartment lock or the ignition is an issue.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.awiseplan.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 am

YES! Get good theft insurance.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm

the7smiths wrote:
remembering to pull that darn key out of the storage compartment lock or the ignition is an issue

I have a pocket on the end of each sleeve with a zipper.

The left side is for the ignition/storage keys and the right side is for the Givi keys

Since I always put the same keys in the same spot, I simply feel my sleeves for the keys before I leave the Silverwing.

Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Another thing to try is to put your house key on the same ring. Unless you take the scoot key out, you will not get in the house.

I have left the key in the scoot so many times I can't count. But the area I live in is not in any way a high crime area. I do try to take it out when I leave the Rison area. Getting more in the habit now.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
But the area I live in is not in any way a high crime area.
Does that mean if you were not there the crime would be lower Razz
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 5:19 pm

honda_silver wrote:

Since I always put the same keys in the same spot, I simply feel my sleeves for the keys before I leave the Silverwing.

Somewhat anal retentive?

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 pm

Bill, I have never thought of it that way. But you may be right. I have so much stuff that the bad guys might want to steal. My not being here might reduce the temptation. Oh my goodness, now I have alerted the bad guys about my stuff. I may have to start locking my door now.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
I have never thought of it that way. But you may be right. I have so much stuff that the bad guys might want to steal. My not being here might reduce the temptation. Oh my goodness, now I have alerted the bad guys about my stuff. I may have to start locking my door now.

rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm

I keep my house key on my bike key's ring so I can't really get in the house if I leave my keys in the bike. I'm not necessarily A/R, but I also have a habit of always putting my keys in the same place when I come inside. It is very handy. Probably comes from the fact that if I take my glasses off and can't remember where I put them I can't see well enough to find them...
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 8:22 pm

In some of the New GIVI trunks they have a wireless remote trunk release (goes on your keychain). In theory you could buy that system separately from the trunk and use it for your seat.
As for remembering to take it out of the ignition,
You could always adapt this product.

UPDATE: For the fun of it, I emailed tech support for the advanced keys website linked to above, which makes aftermarket key fob systems for vehicles. Here is the conversation:

My Questions to them: Can the proximity based keyless start be used on a motorcycle, so I never have to put the key in the ignition?
Do you have anything that will replace a standard key lock for storage, that will only open in proximity to the key fob?
Thanks,

Their Answer:
Absolutely! Many of our customer installed this system into their motorcycle for the same reason. Our stand-alone Smart Key system would be good fit for this purpose. As for lock storage, our system supply an output/signal when the key is in the proximity range, you just need a relay and electro-actuated locks to enable the storage to be opened (only when the key is in the range) This function is identical to the trunk release switch on the car.
Hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.

So, there you go Joyce & Donal. The perfect solution to resolving your problem.

Dan
Back to top Go down
the7smiths
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
the7smiths

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Wonderful suggestions!
Thank you Dan for your extra work and research.
Back to top Go down
http://www.awiseplan.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 2:09 pm

the7smiths wrote:
Wonderful suggestions!
Thank you Dan for your extra work and research.

No Problem. I love coming up with unique and creative solutions.
If you decide to go that route let us know, and if possible even
take pictures of the install, so others can duplicate what you do.

Thanks,

Dan
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 pm

To quote some-one earlier.

I guess I am a tad 'anal' with regards my keys.

Always travel with both keys. One in my left jacket pocket the other, 'in use' set is used for starting and storage area. I have a set routine;

Whilst parking up, with keys in ignition I set the HISS, then if needed unlock the under seat storage area, once unloaded, keys out - helmet off. Keys then placed in right hand jacket pocket.

It's strange but if I divert from this it feels - 'wrong' and so I don't walk away from bike until I feel - 'right.' Like I said - 'anal', but it works for me. Guess I'm a creature of habit. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Habits can be good. Aircraft pilots go through checklists before lighting the fires and taking off... doing it the same way EVERY time. That way, something out of order is very apparent.

Whether most of us admit it or not, we all have our routines and if we don't follow them, feel out of sorts. I am one of them. small moped
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 5:44 pm

GaryL wrote:
Habits can be good. Aircraft pilots go through checklists before lighting the fires and taking off... doing it the same way EVERY time. That way, something out of order is very apparent.

Gary, that is where I developed my habits!!!!

A friend commented one day whilst car sharing, that each time I connected my safety belt, I leaned forward. Not something I was aware I did. It comes from checking the 'inertia real' whilst strapping into the seat in the helicopter I flew in. (I still return all switches in the car to their null position after switching the engine off.) Old habits die hard!!!!!!

As you say, routines can be good. (Boring - but good.) clown
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Are nuns creatures of habit Question
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 pm

LOL dspevak :-) So - I habitually leave the keys in the ignition when I get home because I park mine in my garage. I have the same problem and have left my keys on the bike once since I got it. I usually have a habit of pocket-checks before I go in or out of a building so that helps. In the event I lock my keys in the trunk, I carry a spare in my wallet. On rare occasion I lock the keys in there intentionally. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
Kurtis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re leaving keys in the seat lock and ignition    Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am

I have left my keys in the locks so many times its not funny glad im not the only one that does that . I am thinking of painting the key black just so its harder to see lol anyway I have had one bike stolen in my life was a yamaha dt 125 that was cursed friend stole it and hit a tree stump lost a testical my oldest brother just took it from me and he ended up with a fractured vertabea spent 4 months in a halo so who ever took that bike I feel sorry for .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaving key in the lock   Leaving key in the lock I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaving key in the lock
Page 1 of 1