Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!

Go down 
+2
Ishkatan
smorkle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! Empty
PostSubject: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Rode from KC down to Eureka Springs, AR Saturday. Sunday came and we were working on rides for the STO. Almost done and 1 more road to check and hit a rock. Blew out my back tire about 2 miles from Seligman, MO. A lady took us up to the gas station where we got some fix a flat.

Now you're probably thinking that we fixed our flat and headed home. Well you'd be wrong. Hole was too big. Limped back up the 2 miles and got some of those worm plugs. The combination of the two got me about 10 miles down the road where I used the rest of my 2nd can of fix a flat and THAT got me to Cassville and wal mart tire center.

As luck would have it, Wal Mart has a company policy against their tire centers from working on motorcycle tires. Receiving no help, I purchased more worm plugs and slime as well as a 12V tire inflator. Still couldn't get it fixed but by putting about 5 plugs in the hole as well as the slime and THAT got me fixed up good enough to run about 10 miles at a stretch. Sit and re-air the tire.

Well that set up got me about 3 miles from Neosho where I had to give up and walk to a motel. Plan was to get a U Haul in the morning when they roll the streets back out and haul it back to KC, but that was not to be the case.

Apparently, there was a tornado in a town 18 miles north of Neosho called Joplin recently. I think there was some news coverage. (tongue in cheek) It appears that U Haul trucks in the Neosho area are few and far between. As in none. We ended up walking to a car dealership and asked if there were any car rental places around and as luck would have it Enterprise rent a car was right next door. We rented a car, drove from Neosho to KC, got my truck, drove BOTH vehicles back, Returned the rental, loaded up the scooter and just got home and got it unloaded.

Man, what a couple of days!

Now I gotta buy a new tire.

Oh and how to lose weight? WALK 5 miles in 90°+ heat. Ugh. LOL

Last edited by smorkle on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Does AAA tow / service scooters if you have a regular or upgraded account with them?

This sounded like the time to go to a local tire dealer and go with a darkside 13 inch car tire - if they could figure out how to get at the wheel.

Sorry about the tire but glad it was the rear and that you are OK. Treat yourself to a LARGE piece of cold watermelon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 am

I would have used towing service from my insurance.

Then cheapest----get towed to bike shop---even if they will not or cannot repair tire or have one in stock, get them to remove rear wheel, take wheel to professional tire shop, de-mount tire from rim and repair from inside--- that will at least get you home. If you do own work,get towed directly to tire shop and remove and replace wheel yourself.

Tire troubles on modern scooters with no spare and difficult to remove rear wheels suck.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 am

AAA has a "motorcycle option." I think it's $35 more per year and they will tow a motorcycle 100 miles for free up to 4 times per year, along with all the other AAA services like gas if you run out, dead-battery jumps, etc.

One 20 mile tow cost me $125. So if you use it one time in 3.57 years it pays for itself.
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 7:36 pm

This incident occurred on a Sunday afternoon in rural southern Missouri. Even if I had had AAA, I was 200 miles from home and they would have charged me out the a$$ to get it there. Getting it towed to a bike shop wouldn't have done me any more good because they are all closed Sunday and Monday.

I removed the rear wheel today and it took me about a half hour to get it off. New tire is on order at the Honda dealership and is due in Thursday. Doesn't look like I damaged the rim, only the tire.

Installing tires is about the only work I don't do myself because I don't have the tools and it's not cost effective to buy them. As far as getting it off the bike out there on the road, I would have needed a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and a 1 1/16" socket and a ¼" allen wrench. It is pretty complex thing to get off.

I'm just glad I was only inconvenienced and not hurt.

Last edited by smorkle on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 pm

damn! You should have posted something. I can change tires from my support trailer. Even transport you.

Something we did on our sportbike forum is have people list who is willing to go get downed riders from accidents, malfunctions etc. it is called a rescue list.The list is on the forum, and you cam pm someone for there number if you are going to be in an area they can get to. Saved my ass several times.

With all the riders here, it might be a good idea to have something like this here as well. So if you have a truck, or trailer, and are willing to help rescue a silverwing rider, ill make a post about it if the powers that be want to make it a sticky
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 am

Tagg wrote:
damn! You should have posted something. I can change tires from my support trailer. Even transport you.

Something we did on our sportbike forum is have people list who is willing to go get downed riders from accidents, malfunctions etc. it is called a rescue list.The list is on the forum, and you cam pm someone for there number if you are going to be in an area they can get to. Saved my ass several times.

With all the riders here, it might be a good idea to have something like this here as well. So if you have a truck, or trailer, and are willing to help rescue a silverwing rider, ill make a post about it if the powers that be want to make it a sticky

Starting new thread "Rescue List Discussion" to discuss.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 am

I had a similar experience when a valve on the rear wheel disintegrated at 80kmh on a Vmoto chink scoot. I lost an awful lot of weight in a very short time without walking, and it wasn't sweat either..
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 pm

Today my new tire arrived and I took off an hour from work to take it to the place and have them put it on, hoping that it'd be ready when I got off just to go pick up. Well that was not to be the case.

I had to wait over an hour to get the tire mounted and was the last thing the shop did and I left right at 6. I decided since Jen has to work late that I'd just stop by KFC and get some supper. Then I was driving right past the auction I go to sometimes so I stopped in (but didn't see anything worth bidding on.) On my way through Liberty, the guy in front of my truck stops abruptly so I do too. Problem is that the gal behind me did NOT stop. Well, not until she hit the back end of the truck..... twice. Dunno how she hit me twice, but she did. Not a lot of damage. Bumper is bent, license plate lights are broken. Her car was more torn up than my truck. Called the police but they wouldn't come out because it's a non injury wreck with drivable cars. I guess I get to call her insurance tomorrow and stake my claim!
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 am

smorkle wrote:
...she hit the back end of the truck..... twice. Dunno how she hit me twice, ...

Was she blond? I hear they bounce....

You may want to handle it through your own insurance company. They then bill hers but you are likely to see $$ sooner except deductible which you get when her company pays.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!   New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Weight Loss program! Flat tire on scooter!
Page 1 of 1